Chatter problem w/my Tesoro

BillZ

Elite Member
Lately I have been getting a chatter problem.
MD will work fine for a while, then it will become very sensitive and chatter constantly. I'm not changing the sensitivity when this happens and the chatter continues even if I turn the sensitivity down. It will beep even when I am not moving it and have the coil up in the air.
The only thing that seems to correct it is turning it off for a while, 10 min or more.
Anyone have this problem before?

Does this only happen in one area, or wherever you use it.
I was just thinking it could be electrical interference ?

Power lines (overhead or underground) electric fence etc

West Texas,
I should have mentioned that fresh batteries didn't remedy the problem.
It also seems to me that if batteries were running low, the MD would make less noise rather than more.?

Alan,
Last time it happened was in the woods but it is a 1/2 mile from an airport and 1/8 mile from an electric commuter train rail. Even so, it would work fine for roughly an hour and then just start chattering while in the same area.

Here's a couple of simple things to check.

Coil wire connections tight?
If you have a coil cover, try removing it and checking for water and/or sand, etc.

It has happened in 2 different places. I'm not sure but I think it may be from dirt and debris getting on the top of the coil.

I managed to avoid the problem today.

i've almost the same problem, my tesoro vaquero works aparently correctly and it's happen to doesn't works, when i turn it on it make an high sound and i can't do anything can't manage threeshold, ground balance, sensitivity etc... i can touch every boton and nothing happen just make a very noisy sound, the problem is not the coil
Any idea???

I still get the chatter problem with mine occasionally but think it is due to cheap headphones. Once I get a good pair I'll see if I'm right.

My Silver uMax was acting funny a couple of days ago, something like what you describe. I wound up unplugging the coil, blowing on both connections and plugging it back in. Seems to have solved the problem.

BillZ,

As a former aviation & marine electronics technician, I can tell you that when you get anywhere near an airport with a metal detector, you may encounter problems with the machine. Airports have many different systems which transmit high power signals, all over the spectrum. There is radar, various radio communications transmitters, squawk transponders, VLF radio, omni's, and more. And some of it is user irregularly, so thinkgs may be fine for a while, and then suddenly act up.

Another possibility is a nearby radio broadcast transmitter (very tall tower). The tower itself, is the antenna, and they crank out 50 to 100,000 watt signals. I've seen them interfere with regular (not cordless) telephone systems, and fax machines that were located 3/4 mile or more, away.

Trains also use electronic signalling and control, and can be another source of electronic interference.

But moisture and dirt trapped between a coil and cover will also cause problems, as previously posted. If you can, try your machine with no coil cover, and go to a place far away from any sources of electrical interference.

OK, I figured out the problem!

It didn't make sense to me at first because it seemed so random. The only thing I could figure out was that it seemed to happen more when it was cold outside.

It was my own cell phone!:lol:

I found that when I wore my jacket, it has a breast pocket that I would keep my cell phone in. That causes my detector to chatter. During the warmer days, I would keep it in the cargo pocket of my shorts or cargo pants and there was no problem.

I realized it when I received a call while detecting. My detector started chattering like crazy. I am guessing it's also affected when someone nearby on the same network is using their phone. That would explain the randomness.

OK, I figured out the problem!

It didn't make sense to me at first because it seemed so random. The only thing I could figure out was that it seemed to happen more when it was cold outside.

It was my own cell phone!:lol:

I found that when I wore my jacket, it has a breast pocket that I would keep my cell phone in. That causes my detector to chatter. During the warmer days, I would keep it in the cargo pocket of my shorts or cargo pants and there was no problem.

I realized it when I received a call while detecting. My detector started chattering like crazy. I am guessing it's also affected when someone nearby on the same network is using their phone. That would explain the randomness.
Tesoro's are so good they even pick up your cell phone calls :lol:. Off topic but got me thinking, I don't know how many times I have been on a satellite call and when working behind a tv my cell phone would start to make this sort of static interference type sound and within a few seconds I would get a call come in on it. It would be perfectly quiet unless a call was on its way :?::?::?:.

i've almost the same problem, my tesoro vaquero works aparently correctly and it's happen to doesn't works, when i turn it on it make an high sound and i can't do anything can't manage threeshold, ground balance, sensitivity etc... i can touch every boton and nothing happen just make a very noisy sound, the problem is not the coil
Any idea???

Same thing happened to me last year.
Replaced the battery, turned it off and on, nothing worked.
I packed it up and went home.

The next time I pulled it out it worked fine and has ever since, but I still think I am going to send it back to Tesoro for a tune up in the near future just for my own piece of mind.

The chattering happened to me yesterday.. I checked the coil the connection, the cover..then the battery..lol it was the battery. I guess now I know what happens when the battery gets low. Cibola

ok... this is very wierd. The chatter thing happened to me in my last two hunts, being on different places.
the machine just start chattering like crazy, its impossible to ground balance, on discrimination it beeps and chatters, on all metal the threshold goes up and down

My Vaquero is new, so I'm paying close attention to his behavior, the only explanations I found were:

1. Batteries

2. my cellphone, cellphones transmits signals even when not having calls

3. dirt attached to the coil

4. the wierdest one. It has always happened about 20 minutes before sunset, but I have to say that I start hunting more or less the same time on both ocassions

5. my gps, I don't thing so, when the chatter happened I walked away from my bag when looking for other place to quiet the machine

I have to say that I have been in the same place with my compadre and with my MXT and nothing like this ever happened before :?:

Edit: I've just seen the thread is 3 months old, did you find an answer?

ok... this is very wierd. The chatter thing happened to me in my last two hunts, being on different places.
the machine just start chattering like crazy, its impossible to ground balance, on discrimination it beeps and chatters, on all metal the threshold goes up and down

My Vaquero is new, so I'm paying close attention to his behavior, the only explanations I found were:

1. Batteries

2. my cellphone, cellphones transmits signals even when not having calls

3. dirt attached to the coil

4. the wierdest one. It has always happened about 20 minutes before sunset, but I have to say that I start hunting more or less the same time on both ocassions

5. my gps, I don't thing so, when the chatter happened I walked away from my bag when looking for other place to quiet the machine

I have to say that I have been in the same place with my compadre and with my MXT and nothing like this ever happened before :?:

Edit: I've just seen the thread is 3 months old, did you find an answer?
I believe that Bill's problem was caused from his cell phone.

Back
Top Bottom