Nox 800 Old Park Dominating

At lunch I took my Nox 800 and Etrac with stock coils out and swung over a real deep clad quarter buried flat in my backyard. The Etrac seemed to hit it better. The 800 hit it best in Park1, but Park2 hit it good enough not to miss it. I then put Nox in Gold1 and hit it, but I had to swing faster to get best VID and tone. I have not used the gold program at all. Why did I have to swing so fast for best results?

What you just posted is why i took and started with the etrac and ctx!! I thought i would just go kill that small yard sized park and show those two guys how it is done. I started the hunt with those 2 machines but two plus hours later and totally frustrated i finally pulled out the Nox and within 2 minutes in the same spot i just finished hunting with the two fbs machines i am pulling out a deep merc dime. What you posted above is probably on a cleanly buried quarter, where i was hunting was far from clean. I think the iron killed the two fbs machines in my opinion.

yes! iron is a "bastard" silent masking don't even know just walk over!..it would appear the nox can get a "squeak" when everything else just low tones or nulls.multi freak "must" make a difference! perhaps a super fast processor,AND multi-freak is the answer!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

yes! iron is a "bastard" silent masking don't even know just walk over!..it would appear the nox can get a "squeak" when everything else just low tones or nulls.multi freak "must" make a difference! perhaps a super fast processor,AND multi-freak is the answer!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Only explanation that i can come up with... what you said.

What you just posted is why i took and started with the etrac and ctx!! I thought i would just go kill that small yard sized park and show those two guys how it is done. I started the hunt with those 2 machines but two plus hours later and totally frustrated i finally pulled out the Nox and within 2 minutes in the same spot i just finished hunting with the two fbs machines i am pulling out a deep merc dime. What you posted above is probably on a cleanly buried quarter, where i was hunting was far from clean. I think the iron killed the two fbs machines in my opinion.

Yes I it's clean around the buried quarter. My goal was to see what the Nox 800 did in Park1&2 then in Gold1. I just compared Etrac while I was at it.

My experience with the Nox is the same as yours. A high tone to investigate, then circling the target watching the numbers. Dimes and quarters and pennies are the only seriously challenged targets I have for sure run across so far. In some position over the coin you will get a number that tells you basically the kind of coin it is. As you circle wobbling the coil over the target numbers may drop a few points but will not fluctuate wildly up or down if it's a good target. A dime will not jump into the mid or high 30's or fall below low 20's. If it jumps real high or low probably not a good target. It takes a few recoveries of good coins to be able to get the feel for it. I can pretty much tell now what is a coin and what is not on these challenged targets. I get fooled occasionally, but I don't dig many trash targets considering how much non-ferrous trash and rusty iron nails are in the ground at these places.

The main thing is you are alerted with a high tone that bears further investigation, and that other detectors must not be alerting on these targets. I might add I am hunting with no discrimination in five tones with tone breaks and volumes set to my liking in both Park1 and Park2. Iron is lowest tone and low volume. Silver is highest tone and highest volume so silver really jumps out. Nickels are a mid tone with close to a max volume.

it would appear that BOTH of you are experiencing the same responses in the field...apparently the "key" is the high tone squeak followed by carefully warbling around the target! as you mentioned,and i have a tendency to agree,other detectors are NOT getting the
high tone squeak, being masked by interferring ferrous',OR iron! again,this is undoubtedly the result of a very fast processor,along with the simultaneous transmission of multi frequencies.i would guess that this is nothing new,and avid nox owners have been aware of this from day one! i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Last edited:
it would appear that BOTH of you are experiencing the same responses in the field...apparently the "key" is the high tone squeak followed by carefully warbling around the target! as you mentioned,and i have a tendency to agree,other detectors are NOT getting the
high tone squeak, being masked by interferring "non-ferrous',OR iron! again,this is undoubtedly the result of a very fast processor,along with the simultaneous transmission of multi frequencies.i would guess that this is nothing new,and avid nox owners have been aware of this from day one! i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I think you are dead on, i can't honestly say i knew it from day one. I had been finding coins at places i could not seem to find anything anymore with my other machines though. But i still had no idea what the Nox was capable of till this tiny park experience opened my eyes. I think going to old schools and parks here and there and finding a few coins where people have pounded can be somewhat telling , but there is always those guys (including me) that says nobody finds it all and you can get lucky. But this yard sized tiny park really opened my eyes to what the nox is truly capable of.

Just being honest i don't think Minelab even realizes it. If they did they would have some of their high profile hunters doing videos showing what i have and some others are reporting. But again it would hurt Etrac and CTX sales which is a tiny bit counter productive to them. Whether i get to go back or not i will be applying what i learned at that tiny park to all my hunting spots and i hope to make a video to show this.

For what ever reason my luck with the 6" coil has been marginal. I did find a couple of Buffs with it. Strangely I have not found a silver with it yet. I actually used it several hours yesterday and got discouraged. I had put the stock coil back on before I hunted the area that I found the silver Rosie and the V nickel. I still have high hopes for it in certain spots. Just no luck so far.

This^^^

I’m having the same trouble. I switch back to stock coil on same ground and find stuff!

I hit an old pounded site today with the 600 and stock coil. I have hit this site with many detectors. CTX, Deus, E Trac, Nokta Units. I hit a 1917 Merc Dime, and 1906 Barber dime. I also dug about 15 nails and other typical junk. Slaw and lead.

Now this site is very technical. Cherry picking high tones is about the only option. I intend to go back after the rain tomorrow with the 6 inch coil. This site screams for a small coil. Up until now i have not really seen much benefit in the 6 inch coil. This next hunt will be my ultimate test.

Attachments

• 20190320_154845-756x1008.jpg
    20190320_154845-756x1008.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I hit an old pounded site today with the 600 and stock coil. I have hit this site with many detectors. CTX, Deus, E Trac, Nokta Units. I hit a 1917 Merc Dime, and 1906 Barber dime. I also dug about 15 nails and other typical junk. Slaw and lead.

Now this site is very technical. Cherry picking high tones is about the only option. I intend to go back after the rain tomorrow with the 6 inch coil. This site screams for a small coil. Up until now i have not really seen much benefit in the 6 inch coil. This next hunt will be my ultimate test.

Let me know how that small coil works at that site.

I have a hard time telling the difference between a nail and a coin next to a nail. So I dig. I really hope the small coil gives me a better clue. Not to mention EMI and buried cables along with sewer pipe. The Merc today was an incredible find. One of those wow moments just being totally impressed by the detector. The Equinox gave one of those squeaker high tones talked about. Hell I wanted to pat myself on the back for digging it. The Barber was a clean signal under a pine tree. I knew I had silver from the first tone. Pushed the horseshoe and not a hint of iron. I have dug Seated at this place in the past. I always get excited when I see the back first. But hey a Barber is great too.

I have been wowed by the Equinox a few times since owning it. That is impressive to me. Factor in the price and it only gets better.

Can the Equinox find targets like coins other detectors can't find? In my opinion ....if it isn't on the top of the list it has to be really really close to it.

Some will claim that you just never got your coil over the target before. And in the case of that Barber dime they would be right.

But I would like to spin it around. Can your detector find targets the Equinox can not find? Maybe? But that list has to be very small. And like I said....Price? I spent 475.00 for a used 600. And by the way it is a great salt water detector as well.

Just being honest i don't think Minelab even realizes it.

Of course they realize it. I prototype tested the machine and reported it all ages ago to them, and after it was announced wrote it up for anyone that had ears to listen.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/2018-year-of-the-equinox

Here are the two pictures missing from the Minelab site....

2017-minelab-equinox-herschbach-coins.jpg.86f3ddb075ec0080a39e05ce4e528b31.jpg

2017-minelab-equinox-herschbach-coins-silver.jpg.63665d674ccc363ad47f80fd56f1b57e.jpg

The target id numbers moved downward a bit after that article was written in the last update before release.

All that did was get me grief for being a Minelab shill so I shut up outside of my own hideaway after that. I don't have time to make videos for people that don't believe me. And as far as Minelab goes there has never been any question this machine would sell like crazy. It only needs people to use it, and the more that use it, the more the word gets out. Nobody pays attention to insiders anymore so why bother. It has to happen organically.

Anyway, I sure want to thank you for the thread since it makes me feel a little more vindicated at this point. So thank you!

Last edited:
I think you are dead on, i can't honestly say i knew it from day one. I had been finding coins at places i could not seem to find anything anymore with my other machines though. But i still had no idea what the Nox was capable of till this tiny park experience opened my eyes. I think going to old schools and parks here and there and finding a few coins where people have pounded can be somewhat telling , but there is always those guys (including me) that says nobody finds it all and you can get lucky. But this yard sized tiny park really opened my eyes to what the nox is truly capable of.

Just being honest i don't think Minelab even realizes it. If they did they would have some of their high profile hunters doing videos showing what i have and some others are reporting. But again it would hurt Etrac and CTX sales which is a tiny bit counter productive to them. Whether i get to go back or not i will be applying what i learned at that tiny park to all my hunting spots and i hope to make a video to show this.

trust me!..they know! as you mentioned,i agree with you on not wanting to affect the "big guns" sales! it is possible that minelab is more interested in "quantity"
sales,thus giving birth to the equinox.i say this because the other two are 'big dollars",and even though the "margin" may be bigger on them,believe that the number 1 "sales driver" IS the equinox.tons of them being sold,so all those "experienced" guys that have them,bought them because they are looking for an edge in "cooked turf!" just about everywhere is "scorched" so the equinox arriving on the scene was especially good timing.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Anyway, I sure want to thank you for the thread since it makes me feel a little more vindicated at this point. So thank you!

Steve, I had not previously seen your post on the link but wow nice write up and what a load of finds out of that picnic area! I just wanted anyone listening to hear our experience of 3 guys at that tiny park with several machines. Other machines 0, Nox 18 old coins was just too much to ignore. I think as more people like me, who are basically nobodies in the detecting world have similar experiences you will ultimately get a lot of vindication! I will also be following any future involvement you have with new machines! Thanks for posting.

I pulled a 43 War nickel and my buddy Hilltopdoc got a Merc from the hammered park this evening. Both of us were using Nox 800's. He is one of the folks that has been over every square inch of this place with his Etrac and CTX. His Merc was very deep with lots of iron nails in the hole and plug. He was about to give up when he found the Merc out of the hole in the spoil he had removed from the bottom of the hole. Same scenario as always just a short chirp to investigate and circling right over the top of the target to verify.

Of course they realize it. I prototype tested the machine and reported it all ages ago to them, and after it was announced wrote it up for anyone that had ears to listen.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/2018-year-of-the-equinox

Here are the two pictures missing from the Minelab site....

2017-minelab-equinox-herschbach-coins.jpg.86f3ddb075ec0080a39e05ce4e528b31.jpg

2017-minelab-equinox-herschbach-coins-silver.jpg.63665d674ccc363ad47f80fd56f1b57e.jpg

The target id numbers moved downward a bit after that article was written in the last update before release.

All that did was get me grief for being a Minelab shill so I shut up outside of my own hideaway after that. I don't have time to make videos for people that don't believe me. And as far as Minelab goes there has never been any question this machine would sell like crazy. It only needs people to use it, and the more that use it, the more the word gets out. Nobody pays attention to insiders anymore so why bother. It has to happen organically.

thanks for your efforts steve! i,for one, have been "on the fence" so to speak
for a long time now! wanting to assimilate all the info out there.it looks like the "nox" is the "edge" us long time users have been wanting.there is an "abundance of evidence" in what people are finding.it can't be staged ,it's right there for anyone to see!..now,hopefully all the "burnt" sites will open again!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I too know for a fact I have found a few coins with the Equinox that the Etrac/Ctx missed...

Welp...I’m 15 hours into the 800 and still ain’t found any high conductors the CTX missed,but hell...I’m working on it! I like the machine in general,but Im having “internal issues” about where to run the Sensitivity. I’ve tried to keep it 18-22,but at higher levels there’s a lot of ground noise and chirping very much like a really deep “coin chirp”. But nothing repeats and I haven’t found anything yet,so that in it itself causes me to doubt what I’m doing. And of course in all fairness,these places I’m looking have been hit with the CTX in every way possible,so I’m not expecting much either. Tomorrow I’ll take it to some really trashy spots to see if the speed will net me anything.
Who is using this and what speed are you swinging(in seconds,right to left only,4 foot sweep). I know this is a “general guesstimate” but I’m using about 1.5-2 seconds right to left in 4 feet,which I would think would be pretty normal. But it might be too slow?....much to learn apparently here.

I don't pay that much attention to swing speed. I never have an issue with swinging to fast for it, but I am not in a race when trying to hit these faint short beeps. Yesterday me and my buddy hit the park we have been going over again with our Nox 800's. I only found one deep wheat. It had to be about the length of my Garrett pin-pointer deep with iron in the hole.

It was not my best signal of the day but turned out to be a coin. My best signal of the day turned out to be a bent nail really deep. I probably dug half a dozen really iffy signals and like I said got one wheat for the effort. Yesterday I had no scenarios where I was super confident I had a coin after I got a faint high tone chirp.

We need to define what we are talking about here concerning masked coins. There can be a big difference on how masked a coin actually is.

One is where another detector might not detect it and the Nox does giving a good tone and numbers that can be instantly identified as a coin pretty quick. These are the ones where you don't know if the item was just missed by another detectorist or if his detector just could not detect it. This is not the type of scenario we are experiencing at this park.

Next is the tougher one where the Nox just gives the short chirp, but when circled you are given decent numbers all the way around the target that give you high confidence it's a coin. This is the scenario we have run into most at this park when deep silver or Wheats were found. This is the type where all other detectors except the Nox failed to detect the coin.

Lastly there is the scenario that is masked the worst. You still get a very short high chirp, but it might change to an iron grunt as you circle and the VID will jump around wildly with a target masked this bad. This may be just faslsing iron. These are the ones where you will be digging more bad targets than good, but I have been pleasantly surprised with a silver and a couple of Wheats.

Back
Top Bottom