ML Explorer modifications

Redshrike

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on making the ML Explorer SE Pro more water resistant? The coil wire runs up the center of the the body of the lower extention and is essentially open all the way to the electronics. Anyone ever set up a plug to make it more water/moister resistant?

someguy on a forum completely waterproofed his Explorer. It was a pretty extreme modification. I think he went as far to mount it to a straight shaft, and use an excallibur waterproof battery setup.

There's pictures somewhere if you look. It came out nice but will void any warrenty you may have.

I was considering getting a used Explorer SE Pro or another Etrac to waterproof for the beach and hunting in the rain.

I know it has been done, but can't recall what they used. Just don't raise your detector above parallel and you'll be fine.

But if you do have a habit of lifting the detector all you'd have to do is wedge something in at the top of the shaft before you attach the cable into the housing. Maybe around the cable so there's not pressure pushing it to one side. My hunting bud and I have hunted in the rain quite a bit and he actually does have the habit of lifting his coil up in the air, but no problems so far. Would imagine it's only a drop of two of water that would get that far, and if it's not salt water I assume it's not too big of a risk. That being said, I've know this for 11 years so keeping my coil down at all times is the norm..

Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking about. Making some sort of foam plug and wedging it in where the cable goes up. It won't make it water proof but might make it a bit less likely that water would run up the shaft.

Until thern... coils down and ears sharp.

Back
Top Bottom