Ghost Buttons

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Early last week I went out to the ghost town site that I've been spending all my detecting time on this season, and apparently I found the button dump! I stayed in the same relatively small area the whole time during the couple hour hunt and the buttons dominated my finds, and most of them seem to be work clothes related: a pair of buttons from the Berne Overall & Shirt Company (BS&O...at first I thought it was going to turn out to be a railroad button!), a Finck's Overalls (eventually taken over by Carhartt), a pair of I.S. & Co "Ironclad" buttons that I can't get more info on yet, and a "Famous, Union Made" button that I also haven't ID'd yet. The three porcelain buttons were eyeball finds on the surface.

Lots of other neat finds on this trip besides the buttons:

For coins, I got a nice, older Wheat (1919 S) and possibly my finest detailed Indian so far, a 1905 that still reads "Liberty" in the headband and shows a little feather detail :yes:

I was really pleased to dig the thimble - this site has generated many crushed and a few dismembered thimbles, but this is the first time I've ever dug one that's essentially intact! The base has a very slight oval shape to it, but otherwise it's nicely formed. It must've gotten packed with dirt pretty quickly after it was dropped to avoid real damage in this plowed field - heck maybe a child of the town was playing in the dirt with it before it was lost. Some of the dirt came out while I rinsed it under water, but I'll probably leave what's left in there.

The small, coin shaped object with the square hole in the center has me intrigued, but all my attempts the figure it out have come up empty. I suspect it's some sort of token because the edge is ribbed, but it's not a coin, because the back is blank. There are just enough letters visible to tease, but I haven't been able to decipher what they say yet. I'll post it up in the "ID Finds" section too.

Also found yet another millling ball - the third one from the site, each a different size! Dang those things ring up fantastic! Gets me salivating that I've got a quarter or a half! What looks like the bottom of a makeup tin and the obligatory old shotshell headstamps round out the finds :cool:

Attachments

• 14B31C1C-DB87-4978-8C78-60939EFB89DA.jpg
    14B31C1C-DB87-4978-8C78-60939EFB89DA.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 236
  • B4529727-D768-4892-9949-14A6CBCDF994.jpg
    B4529727-D768-4892-9949-14A6CBCDF994.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 179
  • DB6165BF-D8AF-4BA6-8EAB-BD8E975DD0CC.jpg
    DB6165BF-D8AF-4BA6-8EAB-BD8E975DD0CC.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 655E0774-A391-447F-ACFB-285925FD97A9.jpg
    655E0774-A391-447F-ACFB-285925FD97A9.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 189
  • D35B6E0C-7F88-4310-819E-CD785144CF0F.jpg
    D35B6E0C-7F88-4310-819E-CD785144CF0F.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Awesome button haul! I would be tempted to bring in a hard rake and just clean out a 10 by 10 foot area and just eyeball for more!

Early last week I went out to the ghost town site that I've been spending all my detecting time on this season, and apparently I found the button dump! I stayed in the same relatively small area the whole time during the couple hour hunt and the buttons dominated my finds, and most of them seem to be work clothes related: a pair of buttons from the Berne Overall & Shirt Company (BS&O...at first I thought it was going to turn out to be a railroad button!), a Finck's Overalls (eventually taken over by Carhartt), a pair of I.S. & Co "Ironclad" buttons that I can't get more info on yet, and a "Famous, Union Made" button that I also haven't ID'd yet. The three porcelain buttons were eyeball finds on the surface.

Lots of other neat finds on this trip besides the buttons:

For coins, I got a nice, older Wheat (1919 S) and possibly my finest detailed Indian so far, a 1905 that still reads "Liberty" in the headband and shows a little feather detail :yes:

I was really pleased to dig the thimble - this site has generated many crushed and a few dismembered thimbles, but this is the first time I've ever dug one that's essentially intact! The base has a very slight oval shape to it, but otherwise it's nicely formed. It must've gotten packed with dirt pretty quickly after it was dropped to avoid real damage in this plowed field - heck maybe a child of the town was playing in the dirt with it before it was lost. Some of the dirt came out while I rinsed it under water, but I'll probably leave what's left in there.

The small, coin shaped object with the square hole in the center has me intrigued, but all my attempts the figure it out have come up empty. I suspect it's some sort of token because the edge is ribbed, but it's not a coin, because the back is blank. There are just enough letters visible to tease, but I haven't been able to decipher what they say yet. I'll post it up in the "ID Finds" section too.

Also found yet another millling ball - the third one from the site, each a different size! Dang those things ring up fantastic! Gets me salivating that I've got a quarter or a half! What looks like the bottom of a makeup tin and the obligatory old shotshell headstamps round out the finds :cool:

Nice Haul of buttons. And that is a pretty nice clean Indian also. The brass balls that you find that you referred to as Milling balls I actually think they are from a non siphoning valve. I found a couple of those out at my little ghost town that I have been working hard at. Here is a diagram that I found online while looking up Brass Ball.

Attachments

• IMG_20180427_151139.jpg
    IMG_20180427_151139.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 154
Great hunt AT! That injun is nice. HH

Nice job! That Indian is sweet!

Thanks GQ and WT - definitely my best one so far! Some how this one managed to avoid most of the ravages from the farmer's fertilizers that the others got hit with in varying degrees. But they're all nice - Indians are just a great old coin!

Terrific finds!!

Thanks, Iggy! The site has been a lot of fun!

Awesome button haul! I would be tempted to bring in a hard rake and just clean out a 10 by 10 foot area and just eyeball for more!

Seriously, not a bad idea at all! And not just for the buttons - this field has given up some great eyeball finds beyond just buttons. Old shotshell headstamps, copper/brass relics, ornate bottle stopper made of glass, even a 1917 Buffalo nickel (see pic below, just as I found it!) - all were eyeball finds! I seriously think a rake could do just as well as a detector in this field in some spots! All the good metal on the surface was obvious - it all had a Statue of Liberty green patina to it. Even the Buff was bright green, which surprised me because I'm so used to nickels coming out the ground looking pretty toasted, I forget how much copper they have in them.

Attachments

• 104283EA-AD06-4B30-AA25-1E3FC58CDA2B.jpg
    104283EA-AD06-4B30-AA25-1E3FC58CDA2B.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 107
Nice Haul of buttons. And that is a pretty nice clean Indian also. The brass balls that you find that you referred to as Milling balls I actually think they are from a non siphoning valve. I found a couple of those out at my little ghost town that I have been working hard at. Here is a diagram that I found online while looking up Brass Ball.

Interesting...that's a good possibility. I've had previous suggestions of ball bearings for railroad equipment as well as milling balls, but the valve idea is plausible too. I was skeptical of them being milling balls only because the only known industry for the town was a barrel stave company, and I can't imagine a need for milling balls for barrel staves. I found another one of the smaller balls after the previous post, bringing the total to four balls of three different sizes (see pic, below). One is about 1.5" in diameter...that would be a pretty beefy valve!

Attachments

• BA72547C-A48E-400E-9D41-AA903C090BCC.jpg
    BA72547C-A48E-400E-9D41-AA903C090BCC.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom