Stoutstandards by Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Have put up a rough website, and looking for feedback as to how it shows on your PC/browser, etc.. Remember it's new and I am a novice at this....

Welcome to the Forum, Pretty Cool site. I like it. :neat:

Excellent site!! Novice or not - a lot of good content. I didn't read much now, but I bookmarked it for future reference.

Very heavy image that loads, might want to resize it so that the load time is faster, but looks fine.

Welcome to "Friendly"

I did 45 minutes on your site for now. The photo collection was great. Friendly members are honored to have a legend of the hobby visit us. My copy of your book should be part of every newbies equipment......Gil

Attachments

• 104_0067.JPG
    104_0067.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 811
Welcome aboard abbadabba2. Website looks fine and I have your book Where to Find Treasure. Great book, every treasure hunter should have this in their library. Lot's of useful links. Thanks.

Thanks all for the kind comments...please don't put me on a pedestal or anything like that. I just happened to get into the pastime at an ideal time, and somehow got way too involved. Right now I hardly get out at all, and just did the website to remember the fun times.

If you have any tips or suggestions that you think others might be able to use, let me know. Can't promise I will use them on the website, but if I do I will surely give credit.

Thanks again.

DS

Welcome the forum Dick and you have a great site. Like Gil I spent a long time there!

Welcome Aboard Dick. Very nice website. Thanks for all the good tips & links there.

I'm sure you must have read "True Tales About Pirates & Their Gold". My mom took this out of the librairy for me when I was in kindergarten. Seeing I live close to Charles Island, all I dreamed about was finding Capt. Kidd's Treasure there.

:welcome2:

The content is what you make it. However, if you want folks to revisit, there are a few things you can do to make the site friendlier.

First, de-res the photos, especially on the index page. One has to remember that the highest res is still 72 dpi, no matter what monitor you're using. In most cases, depending on the actual viewing size, the max file size should be less than 100k. The only exception is a photo gallery with thumbnail links.

Rather than your photo, you might want to come up with a logo based around the name. The photo should be on the About Me page.

You might want to use favicon too. That's the image just before the URL.

I don't know what software you're using, but it appears to be a canned Yahoo app. You can still edit the html code, and there is a lot of extraneous stuff. While you don't see it, it can cause problems, especially if the viewer is using a PDA, or cellphone.

Alan Applegate

Alan,

I put together the website on my own using html/CSS, and yes I am a beginner. I have had a lot of people criticize my efforts, and that's fine because that's how I learn. I will certainly work on refining the site, and appreciate your suggestions.

One of the reasons I did the website to begin with was to learn more about the process. For me it's not an easy process, but a fun one. Hope you will bear with me during the learning phase.

DS

Thanks for the great site...Some good info....I see you as a man that has done a "heck of a lot of detectin'"....and your word's have truth in them...:cheers:

Great to have you here Dick! As a relative newbie at only about 3 years I look forward to hearing more from you and will check you site out!:yes:

If thats your first attempt at making a website I think you are doing great Dick!
I would however reduce the font to a standard size, those who need reading glasses can make it larger using their web browser ;)

Most important is the effort and the information presented!

Good to have you here Dick!

Have added new link, Malamute Saloon, to accomodate my good friend John Howland from the UK. Knowledgeable hunter, and great writer. Also hope you will continue to check out the Latest News link for updates.

Back
Top Bottom