• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Whites 5900/Di Pro Sl Questions help! :)

Bacon

Right now I'm using a Garret Freedom Ace Plus. Which i had sense 1995 and i know its old and outdated but it works great! But heres the question is the Whites 5900/Di Pro Sl a better detector even though its an older model? My uncle has it and will let me use it as much as I want but i don't know how to ground set it. Ive read a lot about it tonight and I'm going to try it out in the morning but if you could can give me your in put..

Thanks Bacon

I had a 5900, dont know how it campares to the garrett model, but It was a great machine, I found several silver quarters and dimes during the short time I had it.

Bacon said:
Right now I'm using a Garret Freedom Ace Plus. Which i had sense 1995 and i know its old and outdated but it works great! But heres the question is the Whites 5900/Di Pro Sl a better detector even though its an older model? My uncle has it and will let me use it as much as I want but i don't know how to ground set it. Ive read a lot about it tonight and I'm going to try it out in the morning but if you could can give me your in put..

Thanks Bacon
The Garrett Freedom Ace Plus was my first "real" detector, I had it many years and it worked great, still working like new when I sold it. I would have to guess that the White's 5900/DiPro is a good machine, they are still selling for high money on eBay. White's are very good detectors in my opinion. Here is the manual for the White's 5900 DiPro Sl it should tell you everything you need to know. It is in pdf format. http://www.whiteselectronics.com/ma...ster_5900_Di_Pro_SL_CB_Instruction_Manual.pdf
If you need the pdf reader software to read the manual you can download it here http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Hi Bacon,

Try to think of a volume control on a radio when adjusting the ground balance.

Start with the coil in the air and not directed at any metal. Set all of the controls at the triangle pre-sets and the MODE control at GEB NORM. Squeeze and hold the toggle switch and set the tuner control until the threshold is barely audible and then release the toggle. Lower the coil to the ground. If the tone goes away turn the ground balance (volume) control up. If the tone gets louder turn the ground balance (volume) control down. Raise the coil back into the air, squeeze the toggle switch and start the process again. Start first with the coarse control and then switch to the fine control as you get close.

The idea is to get the tone to remain the same in the air and the ground or just a slight increase as the coil is lowered. At this point you can switch the MODE control back to GEB DISC.

Make sure that you do not do this process over any buried metal.

Good luck,
Steve Houston

Wow thanks for the help guys.... I tried again today and finaly got it to work right!!!!!! At first i was finding pull tabs but after 15 mins of tinkering with it i was ready!!!! i found a total of 5.63 today with a ring and some other little neat items! thats 78 coins with this new detector!! I was soo pumped! Thanks again for your help!!

Sounds like you got the 5900 under control, don't set the discrimination up too high or you will loose some goodies. If you discriminate out the pulltabs you might be missing some rings & other jewelery not to mention nickels. If you have any questions at all just jump right in, lots of nice people here ready to help. Steve.

Hi Bacon,

Start with the coil in the air and not directed at any metal. Set all of the controls at the triangle pre-sets and the MODE control at GEB NORM. Squeeze and hold the toggle switch and set the tuner control until the threshold is barely audible and then release the toggle. Lower the coil to the ground. If the tone goes away turn the ground balance (volume) control up. If the tone gets louder turn the ground balance (volume) control down. Raise the coil back into the air, squeeze the toggle switch and start the process again. Start first with the coarse control and then switch to the fine control as you get close.

The idea is to get the tone to remain the same in the air and the ground or just a slight increase as the coil is lowered. At this point you can switch the MODE control back to GEB DISC.

Good luck,
Steve Houston

Hi GMer's
Sorry for bringing up this OLD thread. I have the 5900 also which is very new to me.

S H made a nice clean K I S S on the ground balancing. Although I just want to make sure Im reading it right. Im assuming when he uses the word (volume) (ground balancing) It means the tone knob.

Also what does he mean with ( Start first with the course control and then switch to the fine control as you get close )

Thank you

Bob

Hi Bacon,

Good luck,
Steve Houston

Glad I read this old post. My GBing method when using the 5900 has been in error, and for a long time. I've been balancing in GEB/DISC mode, and lowering the coil with the toggle switch squeezed, not in GEB NORM. I was posting here that I thought the manual was wrong when it said to release the switch and lower the coil, because with my error of being in GEB DISC, a released switch did nothing in tonal change when going to the ground. One of my buried quarters now reads much better after the proper sequence of events in balancing. I haven't been using the 5900 much at all since getting the V3i, but it turns out that I'd been regimented to a faulty ground balance routing in the way I was doing it. I'm not certain that I was way off even so, but it did seem to let me slow down a bit and read that buried quarter sitting at 4" deep. Thanks. I simply skipped over the GEB/NORM setting in the GB instructions all this time, DOH!

Back
Top Bottom