whites VDI #'s & questions....

prosise

Hello Ladies and Gents,

As I am new to the hobby I have run across some things that I was curious about. I will seperate the questions and if anybody has any input feel free to put in your .02$...

1. ABout how much of the time can you believe the VDI numbers. I quite often find something that reads a nickel/ring and ends up beind a pull tab. But other than this I have grown comfortable with the VDI numbers.

2. If I am getting depth readings that are off by 2 inches what can I do. I recalibrate and still reads same.

3. Does anybody have a good whites xlt VDI chart? I live in texas.

4. I have been stumbling upon a few digs lately that are a solid signal. Then when I dig I come up with nothing. I was in a spot this morning and was able to go after it with a shovel and still nothing surfaced. Not a hit when it was open and nothing in the dirt I removed. Any reason why this occurs?

5. What is a HALO.

Thanks

Prosise

p.s. I am using a whites Spectrum XLT.

Mode used is: coin & jewelry slightly modified.

response

Hello Ladies and Gents,

As I am new to the hobby I have run across some things that I was curious about. I will seperate the questions and if anybody has any input feel free to put in your .02$...

1. ABout how much of the time can you believe the VDI numbers. I quite often find something that reads a nickel/ring and ends up beind a pull tab. But other than this I have grown comfortable with the VDI numbers.

Vdi numbers are used as a guide and especially with cents usually do not sit on an exact number. The dime, quarter reading is quite accurate. Gold items usually show up on the lower end of the vdi scale, but if a larger item can be higher.

Nickels can be found on a regular basis, but usually my lowest count coin. The pull tabs usually give a broken response, the nickel response is usually a solid one and seems to generally stay on one number such as 18, 19 or 20.

2. If I am getting depth readings that are off by 2 inches what can I do. I recalibrate and still reads same.

You said you recalibrate... I thing you mean you re ground balance. The readings are usually pretty close. Take into consideration your coil from the ground even if you are close.

3. Does anybody have a good whites xlt VDI chart? I live in texas.
I will send you a few charts on a private message in a little while or later today.

4. I have been stumbling upon a few digs lately that are a solid signal. Then when I dig I come up with nothing. I was in a spot this morning and was able to go after it with a shovel and still nothing surfaced. Not a hit when it was open and nothing in the dirt I removed. Any reason why this occurs?

Most finds do not require a shovel, maybe a Lesche hand digger should be the next item you purchase.

You mention disturbing the ground and losing the signal. This is a good this to have a probe or handheld pinpointer to recheck the soil.

5. What is a HALO. The object's halo - When certain types of metal objects have been in the ground for a long time, they can actually increase the conductivity of the soil around them.

Above are the answers that may help you good luck will be sending you a few vdi charts in a minute.

The DFX and XLT detectors have the capability of giving 3 visual cues to what the coil is passing over.

1. VID #'s
2. Icons
3. Signagraph

The most valuable of these tools is the Signagraph followed by the VDI readout. You just can not expect good results relying on any one individual tool. Here is the procedure I use when hunting.

1. "Most important", Turn on Tone ID and Listen. If you get a repeatable hit look at your display as you sweep the area. Check the Signagraph to see if the reading is in 1 area or splattering all over. Check your VDI for consistency.

2. Squeeze your trigger, pinpoint as close as possible using the oscillation (VCO) tone. Let up on the trigger move the coil with a shorter sweep and slightly faster pace. This will give you the most accurate VDI. Depending on the target 5 to 6 inches is accurate for me. Silver coins will come in higher as well as deeply buried coins under the correlate mode and slightly lower in best data. Here is the catch, NOT ALWAYS!

3. Look for patterns in what you dig and makes notes. Sometimes a bent coin will do crazy stuff. Dig everything for awhile and compare your results from the display. You will see trends develop.

I have had bad visual cues and still dug deep silver dimes based on tone only. Sound is the most important tool for me. Hope this gives you some ideas. I am no expert but there are a lot around this forum to learn from.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Back
Top Bottom