Sand scoop.

DbblTap

Elite Member
I broke my sand scoop yesterday. One of the stainless steel welds snapped off. I will find a welder who could fix it BUT who makes a heavy duty sand scoop that may last a few years?

Thanks and HH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Stealth scoop made in Michigan seem to be the toughest. I own a T Rex.
I do want a smaller lighter RTG scoop made of steel. I know it wont last that long but for dry sand and $100.00 it will do fine. That RTG has 1/2 wire screen in the back for super fast sand draining.

Last edited:
Well I am 250lbs and hunt Rocky rivers and clay lakes. My 5 year old Stavr scoop has not failed or even shown much sign of wear. Ruslan makes one stuff scoop.

I'm also about 250lb... forget the cheap !!!!. I've tried a few different ones and I snap them like twigs. By the time I repair them and correct the design the total weight is ridiculous.
Stavr, stealth, rtg, nutall, trex. All proven winners

I sold my Stealth scoop years ago because it was too heavy for my old back and picked up a Stavr. The Stavr is lighter but I do not think any scoop is tougher than the Stealth.

Good quality scoops are worth the money. As with anything they can sometimes fail due to hard use so Warranty Service is also important. My first scoop was a 5 inch one from RTG. Worked Okay in the dry soft sand but once in the water it was too small to do the job adequately.

My water scoop is the 9.5 inch T-Rex. It has served me well for a number of years.

Following advice from this forum, I will have a modified 720i delivered tomorrow. Rather spend the money once and be done.

I vote for Stealth as well. Just had Lyndia help me through email order my 720 last week. Really excited for it to get here and compare it to the T-Rex my dad just picked up.

When you say sand scoops are you referring to dry sand used? If so, Take a look at the RTG #755. I've been using it for 14 years now in the summer months. So good I bought another one 7 years ago for back up... still have it today. This is strictly for dry sand only. As mentioned Sunspot the name speaks for itself. I should know that's all I've been using my 13 years of waterhunting and I blame Chuck for it. :D With that said, Past several months I've been using a different one call Xtreme Scoops for the sole purpose to put as many mileage as I can checking its durability..... Longevity wise has a long way to go but it still holding up. Good luck

STEALTH or its probably going to break!

I owned (4) RTG scoops.....(2) the welds cracked, and (2) bent at the handle and support. Only way to keep them was to reinforce and re-weld. :mad:

Different mileage for different folks I guess...Ive had no problems since its purchase in 2011....in fact, bought another for my wife in 2012 and no issues....Why would you buy two more after your initial problem(s)..?

Different mileage for different folks I guess...Ive had no problems since its purchase in 2011....in fact, bought another for my wife in 2012 and no issues....Why would you buy two more after your initial problem(s)..?

Glad you asked!

1st was a 2-pc travel setup that was a gift. This was the Aluminum with the 6" bucket. On the very first push (dig in wet sand), the shaft and support bent.

2nd was a replacement. The welds on the back of the bucket busted.

3rd was a 5" aluminum with 1-pc handle that came free with a machine. The handle bent and the welds ripped where the handle mated to the bucket. Beer was cheaper than shipping, so a local guy rewelded it and with extra bracing. No more issues. It worked like a charm and I passed it on to another guy just starting in the hobby.

4th was another small basket aluminum with 1-pc handle that was included with the purchase of a machine. First dig the back of the basket caved (flexed) 0.31". The dealer argued that wasn't a defect and was misuse. I simply asked where was I supposed to push with my foot then? :lol: Seeing the arguement was not going to support the customer ... and having already met a guy that works for beer, I saved time and bought a few more rounds.

One might argue the root cause is technique or the operator, but meanwhile, my Stealth scoop has run without any issues. I've also bought and sold several other scoops (Nutall, Trex, StavR) that never had an issue. Heck, I bought one of those cheap Ukranian eBay scoops that are known for poor welds and managed to make it work without any issues.

So Quality control aside, I think users of both scoops will agree that RTG or equivalent style scoops do not have the same sieve capacity (sq-in of holes or voids) to sift as well as others. Perhaps most notably when in dry or wet sand where water isn't available to assist in deluging the contents.

Another design flaw or perhaps evolution of scoops is the design for the rear of the basket. Newer models are angled and promote pushing, whereas the RTG is flat. The flat or 90° angle makes it easier for your foot to slip off and/or lose force during your push.

Finally, the sheer basket size is a factor for some hunting styles. A 5-6" wide basket is tiny. Many beach hunters are using 15-17" coils. If the target isn't directly under the center of the coil, it just takes too many scoops to recover.

Thanks for all who put in their 2 weaties in. I ordered one that may or may not have been suggested.

I did look at alot of sand scoops and saw alot out there that someone who designed them does not use them and I also saw many well build designs by people who MD or who can see a problem by the way some and most all are built and make corrections to them.

I do not want to say what one I got because I want to test this one. My last scoop that the support weld broke in the back after 9 months of use of what I would say only moderate use and only used on the beach and nothing else.

If this new scoop breaks, I will buy a Tig welder and fix it myself and build a tank of a scoop.

GL and HMD.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom