What is a fair price for a whites dfx with a 9.5 concentric coil between friends

North Shore

A friend got out of the hobby 10 years ago, has some older rarely used technology and would like to sell it to me. I got a ctx late last year, what would be a good price for a dfx and is it worth picking up for a spare detector and for friends to use? I heard it's hard to get the most out of and isn't user friendly.

Attachments

• IMG951777.jpg
    IMG951777.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 3,038
  • IMG951778.jpg
    IMG951778.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,768
A friend got out of the hobby 10 years ago, has some older rarely used technology and would like to sell it to me. I got a ctx late last year, what would be a good price for a dfx and is it worth picking up for a spare detector and for friends to use? I heard it's hard to get the most out of and isn't user friendly.

Cheapest ... I picked up one for $125
Most Costly ... I see them on craigslist for $400-$500

Unlike many of White's other machines, the DFX is a competent multi-frequency machine. The MF-VLF technology is essential for ocean beach hunters that want to venture in the wet sand and can be equally beneficial to relic hunters that hunt areas with heavy mineral deposits. With that said, it is not waterproof and compared to new technology, the DFX is starting to show its age. It's far heavier than an Equinox. Its processing speed is relatively slow and you have to sweep it at a significantly slower pace than your CTX.

In the used market, its my opinion, the DFX compares to Minelab Explorers and Quattros (Old version of the Safari). Now there are a lot of variations to the Explorers. The S and XS models are selling for $150-300 and the II, Se, and SePro models are $200-450.

The price is whatever it is worth for you to have a backup/spare unit. Personally, I feel its about a $175-$225 machine. If it is in showroom condition with the original box, manuals, etc., I may go slightly higher. NOTE: Remember to check out the battery compartment and look for corrosion!

If you review the listing and sold prices on eBay you will probably see units in the $350-400 range; however, the seller also is paying 10% of that in fees eBay, 3-4% fees to PayPal and some sellers also include free shipping which deducts another $30 or so.

Again, its a great backup beach machine but its not waterproof.

Last edited:
Cheapest ... I picked up one for $125
Most Costly ... I see them on craigslist for $400-$500

Unlike many of White's other machines, the DFX is a competent multi-frequency machine. The MF-VLF technology is essential for ocean beach hunters that want to venture in the wet sand and can be equally beneficial to relic hunters that hunt areas with heavy mineral deposits. With that said, it is not waterproof and compared to new technology, the DFX is starting to show its age. It's far heavier than an Equinox. Its processing speed is relatively slow and you have to sweep it at a significantly slower pace than your CTX.

In the used market, its my opinion, the DFX compares to Minelab Explorers and Quattros (Old version of the Safari). Now there are a lot of variations to the Explorers. The S and XS models are selling for $150-300 and the II, Se, and SePro models are $200-450.

The price is whatever it is worth for you to have a backup/spare unit. Personally, I feel its about a $175-$225 machine. If it is in showroom condition with the original box, manuals, etc., I may go slightly higher. NOTE: Remember to check out the battery compartment and look for corrosion!

If you review the listing and sold prices on eBay you will probably see units in the $350-400 range; however, the seller also is paying 10% of that in fees eBay, 3-4% fees to PayPal and some sellers also include free shipping which deducts another $30 or so.

Again, its a great backup beach machine but its not waterproof.

Thank you DaviDs, I might hold off then and save my money for an equinox 800 down the road. Is the ctx still the cream of the crop?

Thank you DaviDs, I might hold off then and save my money for an equinox 800 down the road. Is the ctx still the cream of the crop?

Well, if you can buy it cheap enough that you won't lose money if you decide to resell, then sure, why not. If he thought he was going to get a lot for it, then just pass.

I love my CTX! In my opinion it remains the top performing, all-purpose metal detector. The target ID is usually spot on, the ground balance is amazing, the 17" coil is idea for quickly covering massive beaches, and of course it can be used in land or sea.

Like other Minelab MF-VLF machines, the NOX isn't lagging far behind. This makes me wonder, will the CTX be upgraded or replaced soon? Probably. I bought the Equinox because it is really light, user intuitive for guests to use, and compact enough for me to fit in a carry-on bag and take on trips. I also believe, again this is my opinion, that the unit is more shock proof than some other detectors and will fair better when stored in suit cases.

A good DFX should bring at least $350. If you can get it for less than that, you won't lose any money. It is not the easiest machine to master but definitely not that difficult to run. Some basic settings will get you going and you can tweak it from there to your liking. Still a great machine !!!!

I have a Equinox 800 coming (hopefully soon) if you want to give it a swing before ordering one, we can't be too far away from each other, I work in the North Shore area (Peabody), It would be interesting to compare some signals with the CTX too, maybe save you a few bucks if you decide the Nox isn't for you.

I ended up getting it for $250, both parties happy. It is in the original box, used a handful of times only. Came with a nylon carrying case and a lesche like hand digger from Ames. It will be a good machine for friends and my spare for beach hunting and will be fun to tool around on.

Next question, is the stock concentric coil any good or should I get the 10" DD coil they made for the MXT and V3i? I also see a sun ray invader dx1 available for it. Are these good accessories?

There are two coils I would recommend for the DFX. The 5.3 (6 1/2" ) Eclipse coil and the Detech 8" x 6". The Sunray DX-1 is a great accessory or the TRX pinpointer. If you want a larger coil the 10" x 12" Detech separates better than 13" Ultimate and is just as deep.

Last edited:
I ended up getting it for $250, both parties happy. It is in the original box, used a handful of times only. Came with a nylon carrying case and a lesche like hand digger from Ames. It will be a good machine for friends and my spare for beach hunting and will be fun to tool around on.

Next question, is the stock concentric coil any good or should I get the 10" DD coil they made for the MXT and V3i? I also see a sun ray invader dx1 available for it. Are these good accessories?

You stole that one:lol: First one a friend sold me was at $425. Me personally I don't like the 10" coil. Tried it on the DFX and V3i. Some good ones here are the detech 8x6 and 12x 10. I also like the stock 950 and shooter coil. A bigfoot coil will make you the king of the hunts if you can find one. Gonna cost some $.

I like the 4"x6", 9.5", 10" DD, SEF6", SEF6"x8", SEF10"x12", BIGFOOT.
I hated the 5.3 coil it would not let you detect as close as the SEF6" coil.

Sounds like a good price to me. Congrats!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom