Favorite, most memorable find

I C THE LITE

Thought I would ask what is your favorite or most memorable find. Not the most valuable but one find that stands out against all others. Mine was when I was water detecting with a mask and snorkel in about 6 1/2 foot water. I was digging a deep target and that was eluding my scoop. I finally got it in the scoop and when I bent my mask down in the water to see what it was, I saw what I believed to be the holy grail for metal detectors-A GOLD COIN. I got rather excited and water filled up my snorkel and I thought I was going to drown. I was excited, thought I found gold and drinking half the damn lake. Turns out it was not a gold coin after all but it was a gold colored 1890 token of a cathedral in New York. I still laugh ever time I think of it or go detecting in that lake.

In 1964 I was a brand new Boy Scout wearing my brand new uniform to a troop meeting for the first time. Halfway through the meeting I realized my kerchief slide was missing. I caught grief about a t at home because my parents really scraped to buy my uniform and even the least expensive part of it was valuable. For months I searched even though I was sure where it should be.

50 years later I am driving by the meeting spot and I had a detector with me. I pulled over and walked to the spot where I believed it was lost. Fourth swing drew a target. Four inches deep in black muck produced it.

I've found numerous targets, some with real intrinsic value, some with historic value but that find is definitely one of my favorites.

Back around 1984 we bought 3 calves to raise. We named them Dairy Queen, Burger King and Dixie Maid to remind ourselves of their intended purpose. One Friday night when I arrived home from work, my wife told me the calves had escaped their pen. It was already dark (in the boonies of ETX piney woods, that's DARK), so I grabbed a flashlight and headed out tracking the critters. I followed their trail a mile down the road to a neighbor's pasture, but being on foot and with no way to capture/transport them, chose to wait until Saturday morning.

We borrowed a friend's cattle trailer, took some rope and headed down to the pasture. The rain overnight had left the ground wet and somewhat boggy. We located our calves and started separating them from the neighbor's cows. We ended up mud-wrestling the calves out the gate to the trailer, then one of them refused to go into the trailer.

Long story short, we got the calves home and in their pen before my wife noticed her wedding band was missing. My wife was distraught, I was unhappy, and I had to leave to go back to work in Dallas. Then on Monday, my wife went to the jewelry store and bought a new wedding band.

The next Saturday I took my trusty D-Tex Tiny Tex down to the pasture and started searching the area where we had wrestled the calves (my wife stood laughing at my attempt). Then there was that magical sweeping tone. I dug around in the mud and came up with the ring.

Thirty-three years later, that's still my most amazing find.

I would have to pick this 14k ring I found. My father and I took a boat to the Peace River to hunt for the allegedly buried treasure of the pirate Gasparilla. After doing alot of reading on the legend I picked a spot to hunt and we went there. After hours of climbing over logs blown down from Hurricane Charlie and up to my knees in muck, I decided I had satisfied my quest for pirate booty (for that day anyway). While leaving I spotted a mud bar and got off to detect it and right off found this. My dad ordered his M6 the next day and we have been hunting partners since.

Attachments

• Gold Ring.JPG
    Gold Ring.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,224
Chips, olfart and Fl Tabdigger, all cool stories of your memorable finds. I have found rings worth a lot of money but they don't really mean much as to a memorable find.

Early last year, I invited my good friend NectarDetector to go hunt a new permission I had. I was pretty new to the hobby and my motive was to "learn" something from the MASTER. So we get to hunting and NectarDetector just absolutely killed it that day. He found a Morgan dollar, seated coin, several Barber's, game tokens, and the list goes on and on. We hunted for about 8 hours that day in the same field. I had a few finds, (and ended up tripping in the woods on the way back to the truck and losing all of them, lol). I was SO JEALOUS I had to slap myself to keep myself in check. I learned a lot that day and obviously we had a GREAT TIME, epic hunt.
So the next week I thought I would hunt the field by myself. (like I said, I learned, lol). I started out around where NectarDetector found "his" Morgan dollar. I thought where there is one there surely has to be another. I hunted that area 'HARD" for about an hour then heard that sweet pure high tone, showing 8" on the 3030. Dug down and BOOM BABY, this Morgan Dollar peeked out at me after being buried for 100 years. I COULD NOT BELIEVE it. To this day I am still flabbergasted there was another one there.

Attachments

• DSC01644.jpg
    DSC01644.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,153
I would have to pick this 14k ring I found. My father and I took a boat to the Peace River to hunt for the allegedly buried treasure of the pirate Gasparilla. After doing alot of reading on the legend I picked a spot to hunt and we went there. After hours of climbing over logs blown down from Hurricane Charlie and up to my knees in muck, I decided I had satisfied my quest for pirate booty (for that day anyway). While leaving I spotted a mud bar and got off to detect it and right off found this. My dad ordered his M6 the next day and we have been hunting partners since.

I LOVE the story!! Props to you

Years ago I used to do a lot of relic hunting in the farm fields of Suffolk, Va. Found the usual bullets and buttons. During one of those hunts I dug a round coin shaped item covered in caked on dirt. I assumed it was a worn large cent and threw it in my finds pouch. When I got home I just threw it in my misc. junk container. Much later, I was going through the container seeing if anything was worth saving. While cleaning the "Large Cent" I started to realize it was not a large cent at all, but a Civil War dog tag. It had the soldiers name and other identifying information. I later learned he had lost it when he was stationed in Suffolk on his way to Petersburg to fight. When I realized that I almost missed saving it because I assumed it was nothing valuable, I learned to check all finds THOROUGHLY !! It is still one of me best and most memorable finds in my collection.

Attachments

• Civil War Dog Tag (2).gif
    Civil War Dog Tag (2).gif
    113 KB · Views: 2,167
One day I went to a school playground I'd never been to and out comes a younger guy with a
Bounty Hunter, I said Oh you found everything!
I decided to try it anyway with my Ace 250. Good thing I did,I got a 22+ karat
karat necklace there!

My favorite hunt occurred this morning. My eight year old grandson is visiting and we went to the neighbors to hunt. In the first couple of minutes we found a couple of Lincolns and a spoon. He got excited about any find though less excited about pull tabs as time went on. He was easily distracted by worms in the dirt or birds flying by. Everything we found went in his treasure sack. I managed the detector and the shovel and he handled the pinpointer. Nails, large iron rings, a broken toy truck-- it was all treasure.

My favorite hunt occurred this morning. My eight year old grandson is visiting and we went to the neighbors to hunt. In the first couple of minutes we found a couple of Lincolns and a spoon. He got excited about any find though less excited about pull tabs as time went on. He was easily distracted by worms in the dirt or birds flying by. Everything we found went in his treasure sack. I managed the detector and the shovel and he handled the pinpointer. Nails, large iron rings, a broken toy truck-- it was all treasure.
Now that is a priceless adventure. I have a grandson who walks around picking up "treasures" all the time.

My first season, I had no clue ! So, I'm out hunting a great old site and found a copper about nickle size. I could read "cent" on the back. Oh boy ! My first large cent. When I got home I cleaned it a little and found the word "half" above the "cent" !!! Didn't even know there was such a thing.,my first copper.... A half cent !

Early last year, I invited my good friend NectarDetector to go hunt a new permission I had. I was pretty new to the hobby and my motive was to "learn" something from the MASTER. So we get to hunting and NectarDetector just absolutely killed it that day. He found a Morgan dollar, seated coin, several Barber's, game tokens, and the list goes on and on. We hunted for about 8 hours that day in the same field. I had a few finds, (and ended up tripping in the woods on the way back to the truck and losing all of them, lol). I was SO JEALOUS I had to slap myself to keep myself in check. I learned a lot that day and obviously we had a GREAT TIME, epic hunt.
So the next week I thought I would hunt the field by myself. (like I said, I learned, lol). I started out around where NectarDetector found "his" Morgan dollar. I thought where there is one there surely has to be another. I hunted that area 'HARD" for about an hour then heard that sweet pure high tone, showing 8" on the 3030. Dug down and BOOM BABY, this Morgan Dollar peeked out at me after being buried for 100 years. I COULD NOT BELIEVE it. To this day I am still flabbergasted there was another one there.

What a great day, weekend we had! I absolutely LOVED detecting that day, lol. The amazing amount of old finds we found was mind blowing, and even today I think back to that day and smile!

I guess I'm obligated to show the epic morgan, lol. MORGAN1881.jpg

That was mind blowing, but the 1875 CC Seated dime I found next literally knocked me on my back...101875cc.jpg

I can't decide which is my favorite find, so I had to share both of 'em...lol

Largie

IC - My most memorable find ever was my first Large Cent.
I never thought I would ever find such an old coin in such beautiful conditon.
This was in the fall of 2014 when they were tearing out 6th Street in Racine.
It was under a sidewalk which had been torn out and it sounded HUGE.
When I saw it I dropped to my knees and started crying, yeah it was that awesome.

Attachments

• LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,081
  • LC.jpg
    LC.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,087
I dropped to my knees and started crying,

:laughing::laughing: Oh Man! I did that too! Ya see, I was hunting under the local HS bleachers one frosty morning, greedily scarfing up clad, then, while moving in to get a penny, BOOM!

I whallopped my noggin on the bleacher support structure! Right on that soft little 'baby spot'! It rolled back a slab of scalp like a garbage can lid!! Looked like somebody hit a golf ball off the top of my head with a sand wedge! Felt like it too!

OH Man! I can take a pretty good hit to the face with no tragic effects, but on that soft little baby spot there? Oh Man...I dropped to my knees and started crying!...The tears helped wash the blood off that was running down my face...:laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Oh Man! I did that too! Ya see, I was hunting under the local HS bleachers one frosty morning, greedily scarfing up clad, then, while moving in to get a penny, BOOM!

I whallopped my noggin on the bleacher support structure! Right on that soft little 'baby spot'! It rolled back a slab of scalp like a garbage can lid!! Looked like somebody hit a golf ball off the top of my head with a sand wedge! Felt like it too!

OH Man! I can take a pretty good hit to the face with no tragic effects, but on that soft little baby spot there? Oh Man...I dropped to my knees and started crying!...The tears helped wash the blood off that was running down my face...:laughing::laughing:

So that was your most memorable find as per thread title?:?:

I know what you mean!

Nectar, When a guy can tell a story like that, who cares about the thread title???

In a roundabout way it was my most Memorable find...I 'Found' out you gotta pay attention to surroundings and be deliberate and cautious with all motions when hunting beneath over head metallurgical impediments...to go slow and be conscience of the dangers......

I also found out that cast off under bleacher napkins with nacho cheese still on them and a bit of errant popcorn make for a handy 'field bandage' stauncher of top noggin blood loss and scalp replacement therapy..so theres that..as a field medical PSA to under bleacher hunters, I hoped this experience may hold some value?...

In that light, I thought I would share it with the brethren..Plus, theres nothing wrong with crying if nobody is around to see you, or peeing your pants even...Nothing to be ashamed of....The older I get, I do both nearly everyday for no reason it seems...In fact, its natural and should be expected, just yesterday, I pist myself and started crying at the BK drive through while ordering two chicken sandwiches for $5!

Ok, sure, understandable right?...In my defense, late afternoon with Sean Hannity on the radio...so just ask for a fist full of extra napkins as a simple speedy in field diaper work around right? Improvise!

But, in a effort to stay on the Topic subject....I submit this find in an effort to gain your recalcitrant acknowledgement and potential High standard stamp of approval...?

A massive 75g 24k chain!...but that was anticlimactic and uneventful, hunting out in the dark cold water of Lake Michigan before sunup? It sounded like a pair of pulltabs...In the dark, with no lights, I thought it was a dog collar....So, in a roundabout way, I learned more Memorable things about busting my noggin baby soft spot skin flap for an underbleacher zinc penny than finding that monster chain accidentally?..!.

I cried and peed my pants when my Wife took it away from me though...like normal....You got me distracted here Nectar...What time is it? Holy Hell! Nearly Lunchtime! OK...gotta go....I could use a brace of Hot $5 original BK chicken long Toms!..Maybe today I will dine in? After all this effort, I feel like treating myself top shelf and relaxing in a comfortable atmosphere!...I might even dress up in a shirt with buttons on it, put on some real lace up Church shoes and drive the Focus? Lord, who woulda thought meeting these requirements to gain Forum approval would be so arduous??

FWIW...another Mudpuppy PSA....Right now, you can get 3 pancakes at BK for 89 cents!! With butter and syrup! Amazing! Here all along I've been wasting hard earned dangerous under bleacher clad on Croissanwiches!:laughing: Friggin Aye! I might as well be a long distance swimmer on the Okovango Delta slathered with bacon grease sunscreen, or hiking on Kodiak Island with a slab of bacon for a hat!:laughing: Yeah, living dangerously here Buddy!

Attachments

• sept 8 13-1.jpg
    sept 8 13-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,044
  • sept 8 13-5.jpg
    sept 8 13-5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,035
  • sept 20-16-2.jpg
    sept 20-16-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,033
Last edited:
I know what my future most memorable find will be. A IH. I have wanted to find one for years and it's alluded me. You northern states guys find them, but down here, they are almost non-existent.

Back
Top Bottom