Old Copper Complex Knife

mnhunter

Elite Member
It's been a very long time since I have posted anything. Been sick, then busy, but found some time to get out and hit my honey hole. I've found some goodies there at the old swimming hole, but nothing remotely like this. I was walking the game trail into the place where I hunt and decided to take some swings with the AT Pro before I got to the actual spot. I had gone about 20 feet when I got the signal bouncing between 79-81 at 10 inches. The soil is this really silty loam that changes every time it floods along this river. I didn't get real excited about the depth because I have dug old beer cans here at 8+ inches due to the flooding. I dug the hole, used the pin pointer and then just dug around with my hand because the soil is so loose. Soon as I pulled it out I knew what it was. I was practically shacking. This site was at a set of small rapids and with a water fall about 100 yards above it. I'm guess that someone was portaging a canoe or camping at this spot and lost this knife. From what I've been able to find on line it's possibly 3000-6000 years old. Definitely my oldest find by far and oldest I will ever find. I really need to get out hunting a lot more.

Thanks guys. From what I read they stopped making tools with the copper and began reserving it for mainly jewelry and ceremonial items about 3000years ago. This was definitely a tool.

Huge congrats man!!!

A point or blade from the copper culture is about the biggest bucket list item I could ever find...

The crazy thing I wonder is how many detectorists have found a CC item and dismissed it as random junk and threw it away or scrapped it...:shock:

<*)))>{

Huge congrats man!!!

A point or blade from the copper culture is about the biggest bucket list item I could ever find...

The crazy thing I wonder is how many detectorists have found a CC item and dismissed it as random junk and threw it away or scrapped it...:shock:

<*)))>{

I was thinking the same thing. The only reason I knew what it was was because I researched it after seeing other finds on here.

Huge congrats man!!!

<*)))>{

Mine sat in my "miscellaneous" pile for several weeks!

Your copper point is great. Nice find as well.

Thanks!
There is a thread on the forum here somewhwere with several others.

Attachments

• Spear point 1.jpg
    Spear point 1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,329
Awesome find! I wonder if many of the North Shore rivers have possibilities as they may have been visited for hundreds of years? People still spend a lot of time around them. I am up by Grand Marais if you find yourself up this way.

I would hit that area hard. I found three copper culture items spread out but still within 150yds of each other. Near water seems to be the best place to find copper artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom