Do I need a coil cover?

ur20v

I see a lot of coil covers for sale on the various websites I visit. Are these necessary? Will the housing of my search coil wear out without one?

I see a lot of coil covers for sale on the various websites I visit. Are these necessary? Will the housing of my search coil wear out without one?

I look at it this way .... it is a cheap way to protect the coil to make sure it won't get all scuffed up/damaged.

what detector are you swinging?

I just broke my coil cover today in the woods. If I did not have a coil cover I probably would have damaged my coil.

do you need a coil cover yes and no.
should you protect your coil - yes.
should I buy a coil cover - no.

I sprayed my coils and pinpointer with bedliner

I used duplicolor truck bed coating.
heres a link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=duplicolor

works great

I look at it this way .... it is a cheap way to protect the coil to make sure it won't get all scuffed up/damaged.

what detector are you swinging?

F2, brand new at the beginning of the year, the coil is a bit scratched and scuffed now that I'm on my 8th pair of batteries...

I just broke my coil cover today in the woods. If I did not have a coil cover I probably would have damaged my coil.

How did you break your coil cover? I'd like to know the story on this!

F2, brand new at the beginning of the year, the coil is a bit scratched and scuffed now that I'm on my 8th pair of batteries...

How did you break your coil cover? I'd like to know the story on this!

I was detecting next to a 60's VW bug in the woods and I hit a part of it in the rear and chipped off a piece on the side of my cover.

It's not too bad and I'm not in need of another.

Used bed liner stray on the 350, works great, 705 came with cover, seems to do it's jobs!:yes:

Used bed liner stray on the 350, works great, 705 came with cover, seems to do it's jobs!:yes:

Question dude,,,,,I'm waiting for my 705 comming new from BBH and don't even know if covers are included. I ordered the Gold pack with also a Digger coil. I could just call Bart again but I've bugged him so much...

I don't like to add weight to my detector. To some folks it may seem like a trivial amount of weight, but I am disabled and a little more weight might take half an hour or more off my hunt each day. I would rather swing a bigger coil without a cover than to downsize coils to have a cover at the same weight. It is really a personal choice. I am not swinging hard enough to break a coil.

I personally don't hunt with coil covers anymore. That was my decision regarding coil covers. I have two different machines, two different brands. I own every coil available from the manufacturer of each. They are each mounted on their separate lower rods for a simple, quick switch. Unless you seal those covers to the coil watertight, and I mean guaranteed watertight...you could be in for a surprise when you least expect it. My coils were sealed and I was extremely confident they would remain so. One little pinhole in the sealer is all that is needed. A little dust, a little dirt, a little water all mixed together between the coil and cover can make for a frustrating day of hunting. I know, it happened to me. I have no use for covers now. I'd rather have a quiet machine than the possibility missing a gold a ring with a noisy one. Haven't ruined a coil yet. Read up in your Owners Manual about the maintenance that is recommended. Periodically remove this, remove that. Clean here, clean there. It is not an easy job to remove that sealer for cleaning purposes. It's a choice. Metal detectors are not maintenance free. I do not hunt in the boulders, or in rocks nor prospect for gold nuggets. Perhaps then, perhaps. HH

I would never detect without one, not only does it save your coil from damage, and scrapes but it also helps greatly with resale when you decide to sell the detector.

Things happen , stuff breaks or wears out. Whether its a coil cover or some kind of coating you put on the coil , you can usually pay for it with a couple trips to a tot lot so its basically free. And if its free then it really makes no sense not to use it , even if you believe its not necessary. Maybe its overkill , maybe its not , but if I protect my coil thats one less hundred dollar bill I have to fork over in the future.

I always use them simply because I don't have to be gentle with it when I detect. I can scrub the ground, rocks whatever and never give a second thought to it. I have chipped pieces of coils without them before and I won't have that happen again.

I detect also in high grass, around rocks, branches, trees and bushes...
Believe me sooner or later you will hit it no matter how careful you are!

Because the coil is more expensive and sensitive than whole detector - control unit included, you should buy a cover!
You can also make one - homemade - with insulation or rubber strips and zip ties. There could be weight problem with these DIY projects therefore go light...:roll:

do you need a coil cover yes and no.
should you protect your coil - yes.
should I buy a coil cover - no.

I sprayed my coils and pinpointer with bedliner

I used duplicolor truck bed coating.
heres a link:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...erm=duplicolor

works great

I was wondering about bed liner. My question is -- Is it a smooth or rough feeling coating? I have covers but worry about the pro pointer.
Tin

I always use them simply because I don't have to be gentle with it when I detect. I can scrub the ground, rocks whatever and never give a second thought to it. I have chipped pieces of coils without them before and I won't have that happen again.

Yep, what OCD said. My digger coil and 5x10 hf coil on the 705 came with covers. I slide them along the ground without worry.
Tin

Back
Top Bottom