Need help for my husband.

MzLambert

Hello everyone!

I know you guys/ladies ALWAYS hear this same question. So, let me say sorry for adding to the list.

My husband is starting to become obsessed with anything to do with metal detecting. I thought a great "just because" gift for him would be to get him one. My dad has one and i thought it would be nice for them to have something they could do together. My question is, What would be a good inexpensive brand/type of metal detector to get him?

I do not want to spend a lot of money not knowing how much he will really like it or how long he will do it. Also, i do not want to get him a cheap one that will mess up or not work properly and cause him not to enjoy metal detecting. I really do not have a limit, per say, but i really do not want to spend more than $300.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :grin:

What does dad use? An experience hunter will be more valuable than detector choice to a n00b.

Common starter but very capable machines are Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, and Fisher F2.

Fisher F2 is most bang for the buck but does have a slightly higher learning curve. Although small. If he's very analytical or techy get him that one.

I really do not even know what brand he has. He got his years ago. I do know he only paid about 150 for it. Due to health factors he wanted something that only picked up a few inches under the surface because he did not want to dig too far. He only does it a few times a month.

I know for a fact that if I do get him one, my husband will be out there every weekend detecting and digging. I just hope he enjoys it as much as he says he will. If not, I might just pick up the hobby and do it during the week while he is at work. :D

thank you @detectingMO I will look into all of those, especially the Fisher F2.
Next week I am going to visit my parents. There is a store full of detectors not to far from their house. I will also stop in there and ask about some of them and try them out.

Since I am such a Newbie at all of this, what are some basic things to look for in a detector.

Some info. that might help answer the above question.
We live pretty close to the beach, so I know my husband would be going there. We also have a lot of rivers and creeks he would be looking in. Along with old rail road stations and stuff like that. Is it possible to get a metal detector that is waterproof that is not too expensive? Let me know if you need any further information to be able to answer the above question.

Thank you for all of your help.

also, are "Bounty Hunter" or "Famou Trail" good brands? I stopped by RadioShack today and saw them. I wasnt sure how good they were, of course the guy helping me had nothing but good to say about them but I never buy anything without some research.

For $297 Free shipping or less you can get a Garrett Ace 350. It is a great detector and is is a middle of the line unit. I have one and love it.
You may also want to conact a couple sponsors./vendors on here, they are very helpful even if you don't buy from them.

Thank you also, @lawman711

I called the store I mentioned in the previous post and they happen to have both of those detectors in. So I will be going to look and try them out next week. Hopefully I will be purchasing one.

I will be sure to do as much research as I can on both of them so I know about the, before I even get there. :D

@Colonial Guy

I am on your website right now. (before you commented on here) A guy in radioshack actually told me about your site and this forum while in the store. So, I should find him and thank him.

I have an f2 my first and love it, i haven't even changed the first set of batt and i know everything about it and what it tells me. I don't know about the
rest but just wanted to let you know what a newbie thinks about the f2, now he would def need a pinpointer and what i can tell you is the pinpointer that came with the f2 sucks you pretty much have to touch the coin for it to go off so look into a pro pointer i don't have one yet but i bought a centech that works better than MY fisher pin pointer. Good luck and when your husband gets one hope he finds really cool things to show you also tell him about this forum really nice and helpful people here.

thank you @offshore2

did you find it easy to get to know and be able to use proberly? I found that it has a lot of functions on it. Were they easy to figure out?

Oh yeah, and with as many you tube vids out there about it + a guy on here called digger 27 he's an expert with it and he loves to help people too it just looks complicated but its not at all.

I have been reading about the Fisher f2, the Garrett 250 AND 350.

I wish i could just try them all out. this is a hard decision. I would has my husband for his input but i really want this to be a suprise. He will be out of town with work all next week so at least I habe enough time to decide.

Right in the upper right hand corner you will see "list all sponsors" Just click on that and all the sites sponsors/venders will appear.

Thank you EVERYONE for your kind, fast, and very helpful help!

I do not know which I will pick, but I am definitely in a better place than I was a few minutes ago.

THANKS AGAIN!!

I will let you guys know which one i decide on and i will refer my husband to this forum, after i give it to him (:

what are the differences in an ACE 250 and ACE 350?

The 350 has a DD coil and a slightly higher frequency. Garrett calls it improved iron resolution.

You can't go wrong with any of your choices in that price range. Given that you don't have a bad choice I'd go with F2 multi-coil pack.

*5 year warranty
*3 coils make it more versatile
*faster recovery time

All the NAME brand machines, except Bounty Hunter, in my opinion, would be good choices. Another choice for a little extra money that doesn't get mentioned is the White's Coinmaster GT because not many sponsors carry them so they don't recommend them. It has a lot of very good features for the price.

DirtAngler & garyo1954 -thank you for your comments.

I have narrowed it down to two detectors.

The Fisher F2 and the Garrett Ace 250.
Whichever one I buy I will be buying in a package deal, not just the detector.

Could someone send me to a good site that compares these two detectors. Not just, "I like this one over that one" but which one does ____ and the other one does ____. If that makes sense.

Ask the dealers on here about a package that includes a pin pointer, Garrett is the best, Your husband will LOVE you even more. It will help him pick the finds from the dirt. Coins and such very often turn brown and are cover with soil, and a re difficult to find. Pin Pointer helps with that. Everything else he will have or can get at a hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom