Very Interesting WWI Pin

Metalev4

I hope this qualifies as "mind blowing." It is deffinately intersting and rare. I found this pin at a vacant lot where a house built in 1908 was recently torn down. The owner of the lot is a distant relative of Herbert Hoover. I recieved permission after he found me metal detecting in his lot on his way to church. Anyway this is a "Loyal Legion of Loggers & Lumberman" pin. In 1918 due to the shortage of wood for making military air crafts during WWI the government established a military organization made up of soldiers and loggers who were sent to the North west in order to locate and harvest Sitka Spruce trees. The spruce was used to make US, English, and French war planes. The pin depicts the letters "LLLL" a bi plane, Ship, some spruce trees and the words "US." On the botoom of the pin are the words "Authorized by the secretary of war." I found some articles about the history of the LLLL, however I could not find any other pictures of the item on line or any other sites which reference this item. If you all have any luck finding out anything else about this item I would appreciate it. I attached two pictures at the bottom
-Ev

Attachments

• DSC02187.JPG
    DSC02187.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 2,719
  • DSC02188.JPG
    DSC02188.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 2,667
Good research Metalev4, and certainly a very nice find. Thanks for posting this, never heard of the Loyal Legion of Loggers & Lumberman. It was nice of him to let you continue detecting.

Back
Top Bottom