Headphone dilemna. Help me pick the right ones.

Bonesquat

Elite Member
I've been in a quandary about headphones lately. Every time I get a cheap pair that works really well, they fall apart. I like straight cord, basic comfortable cheapy headphones. I had an old pair of Cobys that works perfectly until I stepped on them. It was a huge setback. Ever since that day I haven't found a pair with the perfect cord length, default volume, or comfort of those. I just cannot find the right headphones. The Koss headphones from my E-trac are horrible and always come loose and the wire is too short. They're low fidelity and sound awful. I just don't like them. Too big and hot.

I've tried over the ear and some others - but nothing compares to the cheap Cobys I had. Anyone have any great recommendations for cheap headphones that are comfortable, not too loud (for compadre) and the wire needs to be about 4 feet long.

Thanks

Well, my Grey Ghost are really nice. The best I'v found so far. As far as sound, these suckers will let you know when you have a hit!:lol: You can adjust it of course. I have a pair of GG Ultimates due in today. I got a GREAT deal from one of our sponsers. Good Luck!

Go with the Grey ghost I've went through like you said 6 pair of cheap but i finally gave in and thier just a great pair of headphones. You'll be able to hear those deep whispers alot better.

GEE GUYS! He did say CHEAP headphones!:wow: Unless thats cheap to you guys...

Can you find a link or picture of the colby headphones that you liked, I have several pairs of cheaper headphones like sony, koss, etc one of which might work for ya ... :grin:

Cheap headphones don't compare with a $90-$110 pair of detector headphones. Rick, not sure why you want a cheap pair of headphones when you didn't hesitate to buy the top of the line turf machine. :?: I had the Grey Ghosts for about three years, and did well with them. I recently purchased Killer B's, and like them even more. They're lighter than the GG's, and the tones are more sharp/pronounced. Don't skimp on headphones. Ever heard the saying, "your setup is only as good as its weakest link?". It's like buying a $2000 pair of home speakers and then going to radio shack and buying some cheap lamp chord cable to listen through. Just doesn't make sense.

HH,
Raphis
Dan

For less than $10.00 these are light/comfortable/and sound quite good (even have a volume control).

Naxa NX-916

High-power 40mm Drivers for Super Bass Digital Stereo Sound
Full Sponge and Adjustable Headband Design for Comfortable fit
3.5mm Stereo Plug
Volume Control
6.3mm Stereo Adaptor Plug

Attachments

• naxajpg.jpg
    naxajpg.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 559
Cheap headphones don't compare with a $90-$110 pair of detector headphones. Rick, not sure why you want a cheap pair of headphones when you didn't hesitate to buy the top of the line turf machine. :?: I had the Grey Ghosts for about three years, and did well with them. I recently purchased Killer B's, and like them even more. They're lighter than the GG's, and the tones are more sharp/pronounced. Don't skimp on headphones. Ever heard the saying, "your setup is only as good as its weakest link?". It's like buying a $2000 pair of home speakers and then going to radio shack and buying some cheap lamp chord cable to listen through. Just doesn't make sense.

HH,
Raphis
Dan

I'm glad someone else notices this. I recently bought a set of GGs and I'm definitely starting to get the feeling my cheapo bounty hunters, though not as good overall, had more defined tonal qualities than the GGs. To my ears they're sharp (again, compared to my cheapos), but the tones definitely aren't as pronounced for similar, but different, targets.

Simply put, you get what you pay for. Yes, Grey Ghost, Killer B's, Jolly Roger, Brushmaster, et. al. are more expensive. They are also more durable, offer better sound control, and have longer cords. There isn't a hunt that goes by that I'm not glad I have my Killer B's to use. Yes, they were almost a hundred more than my Koss UR-30's. And worth every penny. Speaking of which(money), they have paid for themselves in finds. Translated, that means I've found enough clad, silver and gold to offset their cost since I bought them.

Least you think I have money dripping from my butt, I retired early for health reasons, without disability, and only some small investments and part time work to support the wife, the dogs, the cats, and this hobby. Not a big deal...waking up is always a good thing regardless of age or condition.:D

HH

Get a hold of andrew at ned. He's the man that can hook you up with a great pair of headphones at a great price thats what i did when i got my grey ghosts.

I don't know about all you guys but...

I use audio technica active noise cancelling in ear head phones. I just use an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter. Since the f2 has no volume control, I adjust the volume on the box. It really works great with wind and ocean noise. Plus the cord is long enough but I'd like to make it wireless. Here's the model I use:

ATH-ANC23BK

I picked them up for about $80.

I use Garrett headphones that my wife got me for my birthday. They work great and were not expensive. I think they were $29.95.

Back
Top Bottom