Can I get these coins apart?

ne_seeker

Has anyone found something like this and been able to get the coins apart?

One appears to be a Large Cent and the other has been identified as a Russian 2 Kopek. They seem to be pretty well stuck together, but I would love to see the hidden sides. If the surfaces survived, I may be able to date the Kopek.

I haven't tried anything yet, hoping that someone with a similar experience can offer suggestions.

Thanks.

Attachments

• large-cent-twin.jpg
    large-cent-twin.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 500
Would electrolisis work on something like that? Never used it but seems probable.

I think electrolisis would work but I would only use it in a last resort, I have just started using it on a couple coins and its fun to watch, but on wheat pennies they end up pitted and rough feeling and not worth much. There must be a better way especially for coins that may be good but you can't tell even what they are.

As simple as it sounds I see they are offset slightly, I would try two pieces of hard wood stand them up on edge on one piece and lightly tap on them with another heaver piece, they might pop right apart.

If you are not in a hurry, I would dunk them in distilled water for a month or so and see if that lossened them up. Water is nature's best solvent but it works very slowly.

Hey Rudy, I've never given distilled water a thought for cleaning coins before. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice. I think I will give it a try at some point.

Hey Grump, another thing came to mind and it should do the trick.

The two coins, from your description, appear to be made from two different metals. Put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the oven at, say, 250 degrees F for 15 minutes or so then dunk them in the kitchen sink pre-filled with water. Since the metals are dissimilar, so should their coefficient of expansion be. This should break aprat their bond, without having to hammer them apart or use chemicals.

Might be worth a try

Put them in the freezer for a few hours, then pour boiling water over the top, (whichever) and presto-mundo, see what happens....Gil

NE Seeker,

What were your result's?

Rhubarb

Hi,
I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I plan to try out the temperature cycling suggestions. (I've been spending my time looking for more stuff!)

I'll describe the result when I try it.

A quick result would be using sulfuric acid and when the job is done use an alkali (milk) to stop all chemical reactions. Then you can use your favorite cleaning solution to clean up the coins.

Gosh, never seen two coins stuck together like that. I think I would drop it in olive oil for awhile to see if that works before trying anything else. Any kind of cleaner or chemical you use on them is going to ruin them. The patina will turn out blotchy and they will lose value.

Maybe if you just leave them alone they will come apart by themself.

Gosh, never seen two coins stuck together like that. I think I would drop it in olive oil for awhile to see if that works before trying anything else. Any kind of cleaner or chemical you use on them is going to ruin them. The patina will turn out blotchy and they will lose value.

Maybe if you just leave them alone they will come apart by themself.

Olive oil is good, Well I use to clean my coins with lots of chemicals and have no problem with them (have my own little Recipe :). I sometimes use sulfuric acid ( one or two drops only where it its needed ).

Back
Top Bottom