Record Day at the Beach!

Compass

Forum Supporter
Well, I haven't been out detecting much these past several months because of family, work and other obligations but I decided to wake up early yesterday and try my luck at the beach. I thought the combination of big surf, good tides and large crowds at our local beaches could make for a good hunt and I wasn't disappointed.
From the moment I arrived at beach #1 at 2am until I left beach #2 at 5pm, I was pretty much digging a new target every minute or so. I never had to walk very far to get to the next one. I started off hunting with the Dual Field and was doing so well that I never switched over to the Equinox as I had originally planned to do. It had been so long since I had a day with targets galore that I just wanted to get as much as I could as fast as I could and I can really cover a lot more ground with the DF.
It's really interesting when rings start showing up. Certain conditions just seem more favorable to rings making an appearance in the wet sand. You find one, then another, then another and you realize that something unusual and wonderful is happening. That is the way this marathon hunt went.

It's not too often that I find so many rings in a hunt that I actually lose count of how many I have but yesterday was one of those times. Only 2 of the rings are gold but about 6 or 7 are silver with the others made of tungsten carbide, titanium, stainless steel, pewter, and other undetermined metals. With these types of beach conditions I have a feeling that I left some good finds behind but perhaps I'll find them next time.

picture.php

The 5 gram, FG, yellow gold half-honker was nearly a heart breaker. I scooped it out into a mound on the side of the hole and just as I spotted it I could feel or sense a large breaker bearing down on me fast. I pounced on it like a cat but the wave swept the ring away from me as my outstretched hands literally grabbed wet sand where the ring lay milliseconds before. Fortunately, the ring only moved a couple feet and although unseen, it was shallow and easily re-found and recovered.

Yesterday's hunt was really encouraging for me. Nowadays, with so many other skilled hunters out there, some even posting specific locations on "hotspots", it's easy to get discouraged and to get the feeling that they are finding all the good stuff before you. In 15 hours I never saw another hunter but did see the impression of a detector coil in the wet sand next to where I dug a deep quarter. Patience and persistence still go a long way in this hobby.

picture.php

picture.php

Here are the rest of yesterday's finds. Just too tired and sore to sort everything out at this moment. Not pictured are many tent stakes that I put into the beach trash cans. I must have found 2 dozen of those things! GL&HH!

Last edited:
Daaaang man, that's a heck of a hunt! That's the most rings i can remember being posted from one hunt...
That's about 12 hours longer than I hunt, great job sticking with it!

Man that’s awesome work! Congrats on the golds and silvers! You should save the clean tent stakes and sell them on eBay :laughing: I kept the best four I found last time I was down swinging at HB. Spares for my ez-up. Not that I ever actually stake it down :lol:

I want some of what you got! And not the rings, the energy!! Wow! Great time out, bet you sleep good tonight, maybe...

WOW! That is an excellent hunt! Way to go!
Thanks Nick, I kept thinking I was going to find a big chain like yours but harder to do with a PI. :no:

Sheeeesh! So many rings! Congrats Compass!
Thanks Metal, Pretty sure it's a record for me although I found a lot of rings many years ago. :yes:

15 hour hunt :shock:. you sure made up for lost time.
I tried. I keep telling myself to push on when it's good and don't settle for a couple of nice finds- you never know when the ocean is going to close the purse again. ;)

awesome post. Mouth-watering pix ! Thanx for taking us along.
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your reply. Like me, you've been doing this a long time and understand a lot of what I'm trying to say. :yes:

Me likey!!!
Thanks Swing, Been a long time since I had the thrill of seeing gold in the scoop- sure is nice! :yes:

Killer hunt Compass. I've never found that many rings in one hunt for sure. Congrats.
Thanks Dog, I'd settle for far less if more of them were gold! :yes:

POW! Marathon hunt! You d@nmed near worked your way through two low tides.

Good to see others look at zincs the same as me. Into the trash pouch they go!

R5

Daaaang man, that's a heck of a hunt! That's the most rings i can remember being posted from one hunt...
That's about 12 hours longer than I hunt, great job sticking with it!
Thanks Zee, I'm sure that too much detecting in one day isn't the healthiest thing to do but I don't know what point that is. It's not like I do that every day so I think it's okay but I'm hurting all over today. :wow:

Thank you Walrus! :yes:

Awesome conditions and a double Gold to boot! Congrats! :cool:
Thanks Irons, Without the gold (found late in the hunt) it still would have been fun but gold always takes it to another level! :yes:

Fantastic hunt!!
Thanks Scuba, Now I'm ready for the hurricane generated surf out of Baja.
:D
wow! what an incredible hunt! congrats
Thanks dncr, It was a little odd though. No one area was thick with targets- they were kind of spread out all over. No big cuts in the sand- only 1 foot or so but pretty good slopes and some black showing higher on the slopes where most of the targets were. :grin:
Man that’s awesome work! Congrats on the golds and silvers! You should save the clean tent stakes and sell them on eBay :laughing: I kept the best four I found last time I was down swinging at HB. Spares for my ez-up. Not that I ever actually stake it down :lol:
Thanks GS, I actually save the big, heavy duty ones for camping. Most of the ones I find are the cheap and flimsy and end up in the trash. :yes:

Outstanding day at the beach, congratulations!
Thanks Todd, One to remember for sure! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom