What are your other hobbies?

_ . _ . _ _ . _​
There aren't many Ham's around like there used to be. I got my license when I was 12, but haven't played with radios since College. Still remember some of the code, though.

We're still around. Unfortunately, I seem to notice that a lot of new hams I notice get the Technician license and an HT, and once they're outside of repeater range, that's it. I admit, that if you need to go beyond little kit-built CW rigs, the hobby can get expensive in a hurry.

--... ...--

-- Tom

Kung Fu was a hobby of mine until I blew my hips to smithereens. I do not think Northern Chinese martial arts were meant for 6'1" 230+lb people.

I also do archery, fly fishing, anime, hiking, walking up the beach, and walking down the beach (without a detector), and walking through early American historic districts. I also do recreational C++/Python despite the fact I also do professional C++/Python.

Kung Fu was a hobby of mine until I blew my hips to smithereens. I do not think Northern Chinese martial arts were meant for 6'1" 230+lb people.

I also do archery, fly fishing, anime, hiking, walking up the beach, and walking down the beach (without a detector), and walking through early American historic districts. I also do recreational C++/Python despite the fact I also do professional C++/Python.

I've never been too fond of Python, only because of the indenting making statements subordinate. That wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't stuck using Windoze machines and their stupid proportional fonts in editors. Yes, I know I can change the font, but Micro$oft never meant their computers to be used by programmers, but by end users.

Truth be told, the programming I do on my own time is Linux based, since I didn't like Windoze much to begin with, and Windows 10 has pegged the hate meter.

-- Tom

Last edited:
Cars & Guitars.

I've been a Car buff for many years and used to restore and sell for about 10 years. Finally got too old to be crawling under cars and decided to just buy my dream car and enjoy it. Bought a 2012 Shelby GT500.

Been playing guitar since I was 8 years old. Played in many bands from 1969-1989. Now I just record my own stuff in my studio but love a good quality piece of art guitar. Got 14 guitars but my favorite is my 2005 Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

My Shelby Snake.

2012c-9.jpg

My LP Supreme on one of my other cars.

LP-_Stang-8.jpg

I've never been too fond of Python, only because of the indenting making statements subordinate. That wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't stuck using Windoze machines and their stupid proportional fonts in editors. Yes, I know I can change the font, but Micro$oft never meant their computers to be used by programmers, but by end users.

Truth be told, the programming I do on my own time is Linux based, since I didn't like Windoze much to begin with, and Windows 10 has pegged the hate meter.

-- Tom

On both my windows and linux box I run courier new size 10 fonts. It makes the code all nice and neat.

I like the indentation requirements in python. It makes ifs and loops real obvious. I have seen too many people write poorly formatted code. It just forces you to format properly. Makes it real easy to read.

We're still around. Unfortunately, I seem to notice that a lot of new hams I notice get the Technician license and an HT, and once they're outside of repeater range, that's it. I admit, that if you need to go beyond little kit-built CW rigs, the hobby can get expensive in a hurry.

--... ...--

-- Tom

I collected, built, modified, etc. old military surplus radios I usually got from Ham Fests. I also raided discarded electronics for parts. Do you remember using crystals, vacuum tubes and those huge transformers? And they were HEAVY. All steel and a lot of things filled with epoxy for combat protection.

And don't forget Heath Kits. (Are they still in business?). I built more than a few of those. Do they still require Morse Code for licensure? I think I had to get up to 20 or 25 WPM to get my last license and after awhile it just seemed normal to send and comprehend that fast. It kept me off the streets, encouraged me to go for an Electrical Engineering degree (which convinced me to go for a Mechanical Engineering degree, LOL).

I collected, built, modified, etc. old military surplus radios I usually got from Ham Fests. I also raided discarded electronics for parts. Do you remember using crystals, vacuum tubes and those huge transformers? And they were HEAVY. All steel and a lot of things filled with epoxy for combat protection.

And don't forget Heath Kits. (Are they still in business?).

I built more than a few of those. Do they still require Morse Code for licensure? I think I had to get up to 20 or 25 WPM to get my last license and after awhile it just seemed normal to send and comprehend that fast. It kept me off the streets, encouraged me to go for an Electrical Engineering degree (which convinced me to go for a Mechanical Engineering degree, LOL).

Just did a search and found this -

https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

I think I remember the old Heathkit catalogs from when I was a kid !

Cars & Guitars.

I've been a Car buff for many years and used to restore and sell for about 10 years. Finally got too old to be crawling under cars and decided to just buy my dream car and enjoy it. Bought a 2012 Shelby GT500.

Been playing guitar since I was 8 years old. Played in many bands from 1969-1989. Now I just record my own stuff in my studio but love a good quality piece of art guitar. Got 14 guitars but my favorite is my 2005 Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

My Shelby Snake.

2012c-9.jpg

My LP Supreme on one of my other cars.

LP-_Stang-8.jpg

NICE!!! Guitars are a necessity. I'm right there with you on that and think I've either 14 or 15 myself. And, like guns, tools, and cars, you can never have too many. Although, I am thinking of selling my 20th Anniversary 10-Top Paul Reed Smith solid body. It's been a case queen since I purchased it new and she who must be obeyed says something has to go now that I've also got into MD. I still play it some, but there are so many guitars, and so little time. LOL

I collect and record concerts on audio. Strictly lossless formats and freely trade. Been doing that for 20+ years now. I probably have 5TB of audio data now...that translates to probably several thousand concerts.
Unfortunately my collection has taken a step back to metal detecting. But thats OK...I still manage to listen to a show or two now and then through my audio server.

Been a bug collector for 49 years. Also love fishing, collecting coins, animal skulls, beer cans and music. My brother says I collect collections!

What's your best/most valuable hockey card?

Once I got into detecting I moved a lot of my high end stuff and decided to just collect my favorite team , the Sens. But I’ve got a few nice ones still, a few decent rookie autographs/ autograph patches / low numbered rookie cards of guys like Panarin, Stone and Arvidsson to name a few

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a bug collector for 49 years. Also love fishing, collecting coins, animal skulls, beer cans and music. My brother says I collect collections!

Sheesh Junkie! What are you doing? Besides bugs, you now collecting post counts too? :laughing: FWIW, you can have my skull when I'm done with it...put it in with your coconut collection and see if anybody notices!...:laughing:

.….I forgot to add a long time "hobby" my wife finally helped me get pretty much cured from..... ….."SEMI-PROFESSIONAL HOARDING" :laughing:

I used to save every do-dad, parts from broken items, ect thinking "surely this might come in handy later :lol:"

I'm still working on getting rid of clutter from years of saving misc "stuff" and being careful to not add more new "stuff" as I get rid of the old stuff :lol:

I'm not saying I don't save anything at all, but I am EXTREMELY more selective and make sure it really really could come in handy later :lol:

Metal detecting, flea markets and auctions, collecting Vaseline glass (not containers), lol. Guns, reloading,very little anymore, hunting, same, shooting, same. Used to love fishing, have older aluminum bass tracker boat and plenty of tight lineing rods and bass rigs, yup seldom go anymore. Cars, have an old mans hot rod/cruiser, do tinker with it and drive frequently.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Metal detecting, flea markets and auctions, collecting Vaseline glass (not containers), lol. Guns, reloading,very little anymore, hunting, same, shooting, same. Used to love fishing, have older aluminum bass tracker boat and plenty of tight lineing rods and bass rigs, yup seldom go anymore. Cars, have an old mans hot rod/cruiser, do tinker with it and drive frequently.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I have a few marbles that are made from Vaseline glass (also called Uranium glass I think) along with some fluorescent rocks, it's neat how they glow under UV light, some fluorescent rocks I need to use the shortwave UV light, others will glow with the longwave UV light.

Here is a picture I found online as an example: (I think I have pics of mine on my computer somewhere but not sure where offhand)
glow_marbles.jpg

Back
Top Bottom