1862 S $10 gold

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Got my 15th gold coin on Monday of this week. At a defunct picnic/resort site "in California".

No other coins between my friend and I. Which was odd, because we never lacked for other period targets that were of a "personal" feel. Eg.: suspender clips, harmonica reeds, button, skeleton keys, compacts, sash buckle type stuff, spoons, etc... All type targets that you'd associate with recreation, picnicking, etc... As opposed to "household" type targets: hardware, work type stuff, bullets, slag, etc... which could be simply work-zone related , or structural related. So we fully expected another coin or two before the day's end. But alas, just this one.

But heck, if you're only gonna find one coin, might as well make it the RIGHT coin, eh ? :D

Imagine our surprise when we looked this up on the books, to see that less than 100 are known to exist of this date/mint ! But mine will probably only merit a 35 to 40 grade (anyone got a grade opinion?). And I also knicked it beneath the "ten" Aaarrgghhh :mad: But still perhaps a $5k coin.

We'll be heading back to this site soon !

20170117_095946.jpg

20170117_095850.jpg

20170117_135153.jpg

20170117_135312.jpg

Wow.....I thought my 1890-CC silver dollar in almost mint condition was great, but your gold coin out shines mine by 1000%! Congrats!!! As a side note, they minted 12,500 of these coins in 1862. What happened to all of them is anyones guess!

Thanx everyone ! We all love seeing what each other finds. Keeps the passion going ! :p

Wow.....I thought my 1890-CC silver dollar in almost mint condition was great, but your gold coin out shines mine by 1000%! Congrats!!! As a side note, they minted 12,500 of these coins in 1862. What happened to all of them is anyones guess!

goldpaninut, I had the exact same question ! The first thing I saw, on PCGS from my smart phone in-the-field, was "60 to 80 known". Then getting back to my desk at regular "Redbook", I could see the 12,500 minted. Hmmmm. So I had the exact same question. I floated that past some coin collector friends, and here was their answers:

a) it's to be expected that not all the minted quantities are accounted for. Some are just simply lost forever.

b) Some are not changing hands (still in grandma's chest being passed from generation to generation, thus not being bought and sold to be in the "known" category).

c) Others were melted down in the days before numismatic value made them worth more for being a coin, versus their intrinsic value. Example: silver coins that aren't key, are simply sent to smelters, right ? Well apparently at one time (the buy-back by the govt in the 1930s when gold was dis-continued ?) it was just turned in and melted.

d) And if you look, "12,500" is actually a low mintage. When you compare to other $10 gold of those decades, which could have 100,000 or more minted.

e) there was supposedly mint discrepancies where the # of "12,500" could actually be from coins that continued to bear the date of 1861. Yet were struck in 1862 beginning months. Yet the "count" was from January 1st (not sure if I follow that reason, but.... someone told me that).

f) possibly the mint itself simply regathered a bunch before ever distributing, d/t lack of economic need that year to ship out. And so they re-melt, and yet the mint #s show the # minted, not the # actually put into circulation . Perhaps someone more versed in numismatics can comment on this ?

g) But otherwise, you're right, it doesn't seem that less than 100 are know, with 12,500 minted. But the "less than 100" seems to bear out. Because I saw a link to where it's been recorded (for purposes of establishing valuations) all known transactions (auctions, etc...) of this particular year and mint for more than the last 20 yrs. And in that 20+ yrs, there's less than 20 transactions of this particular coin as recorded bought/sold.

Mega Congrats Tom , well deserved for all your hard work !!!
Now find all the rest of them , has to be more !!! HH

Back
Top Bottom