Weird badly coroded ring in wetish sand with ice!?

Brizors

So I found this on the border of wet and dry and I find it odd as it is SUPER corroded which would imply to me it's fake/!!!! ring material... but the mounting for the clear gems are not something I normally see on costume jewelry... in fact if you look at the pics that show behind them, the mounting and holes seem as it would be on a real ring.. Only weighs 3.48 grams.

What throws me off is how badly corroded the ring metal is but the clear gems are pristine and mounted as if they are of value... What do you guys think?? :?:

Attachments

• 20170115_111054.jpg
    20170115_111054.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 822
  • 20170115_111330.jpg
    20170115_111330.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 962
  • 20170115_111411.jpg
    20170115_111411.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 805
  • 20170115_111450.jpg
    20170115_111450.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 892
  • 20170115_111421.jpg
    20170115_111421.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 867
  • 20170115_111046.jpg
    20170115_111046.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 814
  • 20170115_111102.jpg
    20170115_111102.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 889
  • 20170115_111125.jpg
    20170115_111125.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 794
I think you are absolutely right in your assessment that it is costume. As for the stones, they might be harder than glass or CZ's but they won't be real anything in my opinion.

I think its costume. Time to splurge $15 for a diamond tester!

Looks like a junker

Yeah...probably a junker...if the base is scrap like that one appears to be...still, you were in the right place and hit that signal!..It aint your fault the dropper didnt know good metal from cheap..not much of a consolation, just the deal nowadays...
Mud

I kind of like the way it looks. When I saw the pictures it reminded me of the pirate movies. It may look like carp in person, but on here, it looks cool to me.

HDD

Still a nice find. Add it to a shadow box for show-and-tell.

Thank you! What is a shadow box? :)

I think its costume. Time to splurge $15 for a diamond tester!

Oooh yes I like this idea! Do you have any amazon recommendations perhaps of a decent diamond tester? :)

I kind of like the way it looks. When I saw the pictures it reminded me of the pirate movies. It may look like carp in person, but on here, it looks cool to me.

HDD

You know... I do too like the way it looks despite the corrosion! What throws me off is the little intricate design around the clear tiny gems on the side, as well as how the bigger stones are mounted on the front. It throws me off because this is how a real ring of value would have mounted its stones and I didn't think I would find this type of proper mounting on a costume/fake ring. I simply did not think they would put the time and energy in to do it. What are the chances this is actually silver or something that is just really really badly corroded and some cubic zirconiums?

I like it see how it cleans up nice to find any rings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, what do you think is the best way to clean it up? I have a rotary tool with all sorts of abrasives and felt wheels with mothers mag metal polish, as well as some different color rouges coming in the mail from amazon including red color. I also have a gold/silver buffing/polishing cloth. I do believe this ring needs a rough abrasive first or some electrolysis but I do not have this. Maybe if it is a good cleaning option I can look up how to craft a electrolysis setup?

Pick up ANY phone charger cheap at say good will and you can make an electrolysis with gator clips. Look like junker....... stones definately are you can see the way they are so flat and angle down and the way they are set. Id say Chinese too..... likely copper inside. Try a magnet.

Dew

Pick up ANY phone charger cheap at say good will and you can make an electrolysis with gator clips. Look like junker....... stones definately are you can see the way they are so flat and angle down and the way they are set. Id say Chinese too..... likely copper inside. Try a magnet.

Dew

It's not magnetic I tested it with my neodymium magnets. You certainly have my interest peaked with this electrolysis method! I have at least one extra phone charger lying around!

definitely junk... in case anyone as wondering most rings in Asia/China are 24k... just another example of how the media is used to brainwash a populace into thinking a certain way...

definitely junk... in case anyone as wondering most rings in Asia/China are 24k... just another example of how the media is used to brainwash a populace into thinking a certain way...

Very interesting, so they don't mess around with costume/fake jewelry eh?

Well Steve, you find all the good stuff over there and they ship all the crappy stuff over here for us Americans to buy! ;)

Oooh yes I like this idea! Do you have any amazon recommendations perhaps of a decent diamond tester? :)

This is the one I use and I can attest works very well.

Attachments

• Dt.jpg
    Dt.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 337
Back
Top Bottom