Okinawa WWII hint.

Pt1000

Went into some of the Japanese trenches and found lots of used rounds. Antipersonnel round with ball bearing inside. Grenade fragments from both u.s and Japanese grenades. 12650141-A986-4907-9F2A-754BC552F596.jpg. And I'm asking for a friend...what do you do when you find remains of a human skeleton? Is he legally bound to report it immediately if he should find one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice finds. As for human remains, since you are in the USMC, go to your base CO, and see what the rules are. They may want to do test on it/them, because there are many MIA's on the island. You do not need to keep them. I have only found a jaw bone with teeth and since it was in a War Between the States sight, and close to a river, I placed it in the river. Now, if petrified bone, then that's a different story. Semper Fi 1964-1970

Any bones on Japanese soil should be reported to the Japanese police. If on a US base they need to be reported to the MP's. Just like families would like closure in America, the Japanese are no exception.

Digging up ordinance on land there is DANGEROUS. There are mortars, bombs, phosphorous grenades, regular hand grenades and LOTS of other dangerous items. You expose a phosphorus round to air after all these years, it won't be pretty.

I was there from 1978 - 1980. I played with stuff underwater but not on land. You are messing with fire digging up land ordinance.

In MY opinion, you should stick to the water finds.

I found pineapple grenades underwater. I broke off the tops and emptied them underwater. I rolled over a depth charge, played with a huge naval round and tried to make a torpedo explode by bringing it to the surface and setting it free in super deep water and swimming like crazy away but it didn't explode. Yes I was younger and more foolish but I had a blast over there. Luckily I never got blasted by the stuff I played with.

If you are in the military over there, nothing you find can be brought back to the states. Anything that is or was an explosive device is illegal to bring or send back. That was the military law then and it probably hasn't changed.

Any bones on Japanese soil should be reported to the Japanese police. If on a US base they need to be reported to the MP's. Just like families would like closure in America, the Japanese are no exception.

Digging up ordinance on land there is DANGEROUS. There are mortars, bombs, phosphorous grenades, regular hand grenades and LOTS of other dangerous items. You expose a phosphorus round to air after all these years, it won't be pretty.

I was there from 1978 - 1980. I played with stuff underwater but not on land. You are messing with fire digging up land ordinance.

In MY opinion, you should stick to the water finds.

I found pineapple grenades underwater. I broke off the tops and emptied them underwater. I rolled over a depth charge, played with a huge naval round and tried to make a torpedo explode by bringing it to the surface and setting it free in super deep water and swimming like crazy away but it didn't explode. Yes I was younger and more foolish but I had a blast over there. Luckily I never got blasted by the stuff I played with.

If you are in the military over there, nothing you find can be brought back to the states. Anything that is or was an explosive device is illegal to bring or send back. That was the military law then and it probably hasn't changed.

Like this maybe? 5C32C85A-E381-4FF1-8D27-E50E4B85B7EA.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you feel you know what you are doing, have at it. When I was there three airmen tried to bring a whole box of WW2 hand grenades on base. One went off and set others off. All three were killed and the car was on display to warn others NOT to touch anything they find.

We all have one life to live as we see fit. Enjoy your adventures.

Cool finds. I'd definitely report the skeleton. That's someone's loved one......

Cool finds. I'd definitely report the skeleton. That's someone's loved one......

As I got to thinking, that could be an American service members bones also. They were someone at one time and closure to the family if American or Japanese would be important.

When I was there I learned Judo, Karate, Aikido, Samurai, and 7 other Japanese words.

Back
Top Bottom