Fantastic hunt! Colt Powder Flask half, trigger guard, and more!

Isaac

Went detecting with my friend Matthew yesterday. It's been in the making for a long time, I was glad we were finally able to do it.

The first spot we went to was a spot I got permission for last November, so it was the only preliminary spot I had. It was a farm field across the road from where an old house once sat, so I thought some of the "oldness" could've overflowed there. While we did find a couple period targets, it wasn't worth spending more than an hour there since all I dug was the top to a skeleton key and Matt only dug two flat buttons.

We left and started door knocking some standing homes I researched beforehand. The first house I got permission to was built in 1816 and looked really good. Unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest yard, but there was definitely a couple targets. I managed to find a spill of $12 - 9 $1 coins and 4 half dollars. It was definitely worth digging the surface high tones there. I also got a tin-backed ball button with a nice design on it and what's left of a pewter spoon. The homeowner gave us a lead about a period log cabin which burned down where the modern house next door stands now. That will be for another time, though.

The next door we knocked on also said "yes", it was a 1790 house which had a spacious front yard and looked original. It also had a stone spring house (very common in the area we were hunting) and a log kitchen off to the side of the home, commonplace for these pre-CW sites. Immediately after stepping foot into the yard, the first target I got was a 1907 V nickel. The second target was a flat button. Things were looking fantastic and we were really excited to see what else. The rest of the day was just me and Matt digging like crazy. We spent more time digging than swinging.
In a span of 4 hours, the coins I ended up were 28 (!!!) wheat cents, 5 Indians (1888, 1903, 1905, 1905, 1907), 2 V nickels (1890, 1907), a '43P war nickel, and a '23 Mercury dime. Matthew got the two best coins though - an 1800 Draped Bust large cent and a beautiful King George II halfpenny. I did, however, mop up the relics, which were 6 buttons (including a fat Zouave ball button loaded with gilt and a fantastic large pewter coat button), two old gold plated rings, a colonial saddle strap guide, a pewter spoon handle marked "BRITANNIA", a candle snuffer piece, a brass 1700s trigger guard, and a m.1840 Colt powder flask half.

What a fun day!!! Thanks for reading! Happy hunting and enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

• 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 401.jpg
    401.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 436
  • 403.jpg
    403.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 438
  • 404.jpg
    404.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 405.jpg
    405.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 412
  • 406.jpg
    406.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 407.jpg
    407.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 408.jpg
    408.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 425
  • 409.jpg
    409.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 439
  • 410.jpg
    410.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 411.jpg
    411.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 481
  • 412.jpg
    412.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 513
  • 413.jpg
    413.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 428
WOW! Talk about "An overflow of Oldness"! What a great hunt, write up, and pictures! Great work! Hey, a massive clad spill too? With dollar coins and halfs! That was something as well! Congratulations all around!
Mud

WOW! Talk about "An overflow of Oldness"! What a great hunt, write up, and pictures! Great work! Hey, a massive clad spill too? With dollar coins and halfs! That was something as well! Congratulations all around!
Mud

HAHAH Oldness!

Mud

Thanks Mud... appreciate it. Yeah... the owner told me he had a "money pit" for the kids at his family reunions like a decade ago, and he told me if I find any of that money, I could keep it. LOL

Issac good luck in your quest for the money pit! That flask is an exceptional find on any hunt! Hope your getting out there again soon. Happy Hunting!

I love the green patina on the trigger guard and the IH's. Thanx for sharing the hunt !

You guys had a fantastic hunt! Awesome finds and write up

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Issac good luck in your quest for the money pit! That flask is an exceptional find on any hunt! Hope your getting out there again soon. Happy Hunting!

Thanks Jason! It's probably my favorite find of the year so far. I found one of the money pits, that's where I got the 9 dollar coins and 6 half dollars!

Amazing relics and coins, thanks for sharing!

Outstanding hunt! Great relics and coins....congrats!

Incredible finds huge congrats! Love those powder flasks!

Great hunt and mix of awesome finds , Congrats , HH

Really great stuff! Nice digs!

HAHAH Oldness!

Great Fun - Great Relics :aok:

That is just oozing oldness! Very impressive finds!!!

You guys had a fantastic hunt! Awesome finds and write up

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I love the green patina on the trigger guard and the IH's. Thanx for sharing the hunt !

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom