1850 slave tag !

The tags would be the first thing the slave gets rid of when when they escape but I think they were made of a metal that just rotted away in the ground like zinc or something

The tags would be the first thing the slave gets rid of when when they escape but I think they were made of a metal that just rotted away in the ground like zinc or something

From what I read mostly copper...some exceptions.
They were made for hired out, borrowed help and like a modern car's license plate were renewed yearly so I think many were thrown away or recycled to make new ones

Amazing find, super congrats! You're famous you know, what with all the gold coins and cool videos and all! Congrats adding an amazing historical relic to your collection!

If you're ever in Folsom I'd buy you a coffee, or hit up some detecting just to meet you!

Amazing find, super congrats! You're famous you know, what with all the gold coins and cool videos and all! Congrats adding an amazing historical relic to your collection!

If you're ever in Folsom I'd buy you a coffee, or hit up some detecting just to meet you!

I live in El Dorado Hills, In Folsom all the time!! We will have to meet up. Just a geek who loves the hobby!!

That is incredible! Sorta like a license plate to identify Human Property? Like a SS card or a tax ID nowadays I reckon? I wonder what thats worth? Have you searched that out yet? Let us know...
Mud

THOUSANDS< like $5000 or better for some I've seen!

Simply amazing. I was down in Charelstown a few years ago and eneded up going on a paid hunt with a local guy, Addam Coe. He took the group to a plantation/Union camp site. I can assure you a slave tag such as yours was at the top of my hopes. I left with some 3 ringers and flat buttons. One lady scored a trime, and some one else got a couple Union buttons. Was a great time. Would LOVE to go back. Congrats on an epic find!

Hey Ron, Congratz on this forum too. You are the Rock-star of md'rs ! You're going to have to lock yourself away in a mansion, and get private jets to travel "lest you be mobbed by groupies", haha

Great find - I wonder if there are surviving records of who the slave tag was issued to (slave or owner?). I would think the city of Charleston might have the records, but just a guess.

Great find - I wonder if there are surviving records of who the slave tag was issued to (slave or owner?). I would think the city of Charleston might have the records, but just a guess.

Those records were destroyed after the civil war so it is not possible to research the individual that actually wore this tag. There is some info on number of tags issues etc.

Congrats on unearthing such a great piece of Southern plantation history. Man it would have been awesome to find a pair of slave shackles at this location. Hope that you can get back out there again soon because the possibilities there would be endless.

THOUSANDS< like $5000 or better for some I've seen!

Thanx NectarDetector. I was wondering that. But it's beyond value from the "hole in one" perspective of the hobbyist. Like a skier who FINALLY accomplishes a quadruple backflip caught on camera at the olympics: Who can put a "price" on such bucket-lister goals ?

Nonetheless, I did wonder what they're going for. thanx !

the under ground rail road ran by my parents farm, they held up at the edge of rock creek along rt 97.... then to the Gettysburg college. I detect all around their routes, but I'm guessing they disposed of their tags long before they got over the mason and Dixon line.

Back
Top Bottom