Killer Bee headphones for my F70?

bruinvikes

Elite Member
I'm in search for a set of headphones and I'm seeing from various forums that a lot of F70 users saying that the Killer Bees are a great choice. My question is which model is everyone using? I just searched for them and the website is showing different models. I didn't realize they made different models until now. Any help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Thinking I'm close to pulling the trigger on these as well.

So not to hijack but for everyone's info, I also have a question.

Doesn't the compatibility switch essentially go from stereo to mono? If so why the ST model?

Want to use these on my V3i in Mixed Mode and would think stereo would be a must.

Doesn't the compatibility switch essentially go from stereo to mono? If so why the ST model?

Want to use these on my V3i in Mixed Mode and would think stereo would be a must.

The compatibility switch is just that, for compatibility.
Some brands work with the switch up, others with the switch down.
Lots of times I hunt at pretty noisy and chattery levels so when I kneel down to dig a target I hit that switch and turn it all off when I want to and don't need to listen to all that and that is quick and efficient for me...better than turning the volume down on my phones or detector.

I have the single volume control basic model, the Optima I guess is the name.
Fantastic sound on every detector I have used them with.
Not true stereo but it seems to approximate that pretty well, I can hear the quietest and most full tones and all their inflections on all targets shallow or deep so I don't think true stereo on my particular tools would help me all that much.

I think the quieter "room" I have to listen to tones in vs. all the other types I have tried that don't block the ambient noise as well is as important as the quality of the tones.

Not a huge issue or problem for me in the summer heat, definitely keeps my ears warm in the winter on some pretty cold days I have used them.

Can't say 100% for sure they have helped me find a whole lot more treasure than any of the cheaper pairs I have also used over the years but I would like to think so.
On the deeper, quieter ones I would bet you they have.
It is logical to think that the more and better audio data I have at hand lets me make better digging decisions and I don't think I can get any better data than what I hear on these.
For me they have been one of my best investments in the hobby.

Last edited:
The compatibility switch is just that, for compatibility.
Some brands work with the switch up, others with the switch down.

Lol, I get that, but this is electricity, so it's essentially two contact a positive and a negative. So I would think it (the compatibility switch) combined a stereo signal to mono, but I'm not sure.

Every pair of headphones & earbuds I have work perfectly(as far as I know) on both the Etrac & V3i. I've tried the Koss, minelab & Sennheiser Kleer. And never had any compatibility issues. They work great for Mixed Mode, which is ferrous/Threshold in one ear & high tones in the other. Just want to understand specifically what the compatibility changes, and whether I'll need stereo or not.

Might be something I'm still not understanding, but I had about half my education involved around electronics, but this was some time ago.

Stereo to mono, probably not in the non stereo models.
All I know is all my sound is completely cut off one way, it is all back on the other way.
Plus, something I like about the click I feel and the tactile response when you flip that switch.
Then again it doesn't take much to make me happy since I am a simple sort of guy.:lol:

Stereo to mono, probably not in the non stereo models.
All I know is all my sound is completely cut off one way, it is all back on the other way.
Plus, something I like about the click I feel and the tactile response when you flip that switch.
Then again it doesn't take much to make me happy since I am a simple sort of guy.:lol:

I do like a switch to to shut sound off while digging. I miss that feature on my V of flipping to the menu screen with a touch of a button and stops threshold and any noise if your shovel gets close.

The Killer B's I had did not worth with Stereo MM on the V3i. If you want Killer B's, you would need the ST model which does true stereo. I did not have the ST's.

The Killer B's I had did not worth with Stereo MM on the V3i. If you want Killer B's, you would need the ST model which does true stereo. I did not have the ST's.

thank you, i appreciate it greatly you saved me some cash. what set do you have that works with the MM?

I got the GG NDTs on my F70...after a LOT of research and asking questions here and all...I like them. they sure light up a signal a LOT better than junk phones...especially strange is the wonderful subtleties on the DP tones...like a guy can hear a nickel and instantly distinguish that tone from a tab!.... A Quality Audio system that makes sense and fits you is a very important part of this Sport! You may have to try a few to see what works best for your hearing...
Mud

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 215
thank you, i appreciate it greatly you saved me some cash. what set do you have that works with the MM?

I have the wireless. If I was to get a new set, I would get the Killer B ST, since they can do the stereo mixed mode. I was puzzled for some time why I could not use SMM on my Killer B's. I thought it was something wrong with my box, and eventually traced it to the headphones. I had the vanilla Killer B's which did not do true stereo (nor could it fake it). I would only get one channel or the other. So, I had to run plain MM or just all metal, or just disc.

I just went through this (trying to pick which high end headphones). I ended up with pair of used Sunray pro golds. They really do sound better than my Koss QZ99's. Plus they are more comfortable. The earcups are leather and feel very nice. I also noticed the cord seems of a higher quality. If you over extend it like when standing or getting snagged on something and it stretched out really far, it snaps back better than the cord on the Koss phones. It looks a little thicker and seems much more pliable. FYI: I did look really closely at the Wasp Hornets, but the sunrays were in like new condition and about thirty dollars cheaper. Got them from one of our sponsers: Showmetreasure.com.

Back
Top Bottom