Upgrade from Fisher 1266x

swingin'1266x

I am new to the forum and have been reading a lot of the information on detectors and would like some help.

I have a 1266x that I use on the beach only (dry sand and wet sand, no water)and it seems to do alright but after reading about all the new detectors compared to mine (purchase in 1995)I must be missing a lot of targets.

Everyone that hunts the beach area seem to be finding a whole lot more than me.

So my question is what md would you suggest for an upgrade to the one I am using. Lets assume that money is not the problem so that I have a greater choice. Even though I don't want to get too carried way.

Any help from those in the know would be most appreciated.

I only hunt on the beach.

Thanks in advance.
Phil

I have heard that the 1266 is very deep. I am not sure what you would be able to get that is much "better" ?!? Maybe the Tesoro Tejon? It has the same dual disc. Some of the experts might have better advice than me :)

Yes, it does go deep and I had to give up on digging to China. After three or four scoops I let someone have it.

Phil

I don't beach hunt so I can't help you with that but I do know that the 1266 is a very good dirt detector. You mentioned that everyone else seems to be finding more than you, why not take notice what they are swinging at the places you hunt, if whatever they use works for them it will work for you.

I was referring to people on this forum finding a lot of targets on the beach with their detectors not where I hunt.

Don't overlook the Xterra-705 in your search. With "Beach" mode along with "GB Tracking" and a choice of frequencies, it does very well on the beach.

You are trying to use your detector as an excuse for why you're not finding more and better things. You didn't complain about your machine falsing in the wet sand, or not going deep, which would be the two main reasons for changing detectors. In fact you said it goes so deep that after 3 or 4 scoops you give up. What more could you want in a new unit? I know they must have other people detecting up there, so are you getting there at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. or are you one of those people that wanders down there at 7:00 or 8:00 a.m.? If you are in that latter group then you have already lost out, the serious detectorists have already beaten you to much of what was there. Do many people go to that beach, are they enguaged in physical activity, or just laying on a blanket? If you notice many of these people wear jewelry, are they in the water much, or in the case of mothers playing with their children, are their hands in the water a lot (cold water shrinks the skin, and the action of the water between the ring and your finger can cause it to come off)? All I'm saying is you can't find gold or other valuables if they arn't there, I don't care what state you live in, or what detector you are using. One other thing, If they use beach rakes to clean the dry sand, its not much of a problem because they pick up mostly the bigger trash, but if they use the sand sifters, those machines get almost everything the first few inches down, so in that case you have to get there well before they start (dry sand only, they don't do the wet sand).

My md has done great over the years and still does. But after reading a lot of the posts here it seems that the newer mds will search targets better as indicated by a lot of people purchasing new ones.

Since mine is over 17 years old it just seems that the newer ones may be able to located targets better.

Those that have changed detectors indicated that they would go over the old spots with their new detector and find targets that their old md wouldn't fine. That is why I posted in the first place to maybe see if their is a better detector on the market that is better than the 1266x.

Phil

Ok, I found my answer on another forum. They don't make them much better than the 1266x so I will look no further for a replacement.

Thanks,
Phil

The point I was making with my post was not to blame your machine for your lack of finds, but that doesn't mean your 1266x has to be your only detector. Lots of people have more than 1 detector. All pulse induction detectors are water proof and go deep out there in the wet sand and salt water, but there is no descrimination so they are not the first choice for dry sand because they will find every hair pin, fish hook, and nail. But the farther you go near or in the water the less trash there usually is, so it is great out there. Here in Southern California, our wet sand is black sand, which is iron particles mixed with the sand so a multi-frequency detector works best there if you want the advantage of a vlf detector with descrimination. I'm an old guy that doesn't detect that often, but I have 3 main detectors. Why? Different detectors for different situations, and I can use whatever I'm in the mood for that particular day. After all thats why I'm out there, to enjoy myself.

Back
Top Bottom