Got my special pony home (picture heavy)

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
After a week of waiting, which seemed like months, I was finally able to get the owner down to buy the new project. Loaded it up and brought it home for a closer inspection. It is indeed an early 1965(1964 1/2) and it still has the original 260 not a 289. I was curious when I saw from the pictures it was a 1964 1/2 but had a 2V carb. The 1964 1/2 289 was a 4V D code. This is a F code.

Lots of work to be done as the years of sitting has taken a toll. We had to destroy one front brake hub because it was locked for probably a leaking brake cylinder and rust setting up like concrete. Someone has put floor pans in but did a crappy job and didn't cut out the old ones. A little bit of cancer in the inside bottom rear quarters and frame rails. Other than that everything else looks pretty solid.

The paint job, candy apple red, is pretty new and not bad for a driver but I was happy to see the original color was poppy red in the trunk which is the color of my first car which was a 1964 1/2 convertible 4 speed. It has also had a new fuel tank installed.

Here it is on the way home

64-5-10.jpg

64-5-11.jpg

At home in the garage after washing off the years of dust

64-5-1.jpg

64-5-2.jpg

64-5-5.jpg

64-5-6.jpg

64-5-7.jpg

I like her! I look forward to seeing pictures of
the restoration. I may have an original key for that stang.
I'll have check around for it.
Good luck with it.

Did you check under the seats for coins? Could be some silver !

Plan on that tonight when I pull the seats. I also hope to get lucky and find the build sheet. At the factory, during the building process, sometimes the workers would toss the original build sheet under the back seat, dash or carpet. The original build sheet was matched to each car and gave codes as to the exact options the car was to get. All the Ford records from 1964 to 1967 were destroyed so there is no way to know exactly how a car was optioned which can make all the difference in the world in value and desirability. Having the build sheet makes the car worth more because you can prove the original options.

Now, one up side to having all those records destroyed is that no one can prove, or disprove, how a car was optioned from 1964 to 1967. What that means is I can rebuild my stang with all the most desirable options( pony interior, rally PAC, etc.) and there is no way to prove it didn't come out that way.

I totaled a 64 1/2 when I wasw a teen ager. Loved that car, same color as yours with the 260.
It's going to be nice when you're finished, just hope you are a rich man, cause that car needs it all done :)

CONGRATS!!!!!

I totaled a 64 1/2 when I wasw a teen ager. Loved that car, same color as yours with the 260.
It's going to be nice when you're finished, just hope you are a rich man, cause that car needs it all done :)

CONGRATS!!!!!

I had one too back in the late 70's and a buddy of mine and I went fishing the other side of the state. We drove it off road more or less and hit a bump in the dirt road and there was big rock that we didn't see and it rolled around under the car and push up under the oil pan and knocked the oil pickup tube up and we didn't know it. Not too long after that it started running crappy and it didn't dawn on us that it was not getting oil. We ended up frying the engine. :mad: It was a fun little car, it had a 4 speed.

It's ALIVE!

Fired up the new 64.5 mustang for the first time yesterday. Had a bit of flywheel noise at startup but the motor sounds pretty darn good and no smoking. Now I've got to get some brake work done and I'm ready for some driving.

Oh I was so close to my first drive in the new pony. Got the passenger front brake hub rebuilt and was just getting ready to go for a drive when I pumped the brakes and POP the pedal went to the floor again. Looked and had a puddle of fluid behind the drivers side tire. The brake line had broken. Being in a small town none of the parts stores had them in stock so I had to order two. Taking no chances and getting one for the other side. Hopefully I'll have them today and take the pony out for a ride.

On a side note, I bought some new wheels and tires for my 1995 GT convertible. They are Sumitomo P315/35RZ17 tires on Cobra rims. Talk about a set of meats. The rears are 35 series and the front are 40 series.

95zr-1.jpg

95zr2.jpg

It's ALIVE!

Fired up the new 64.5 mustang for the first time yesterday. Had a bit of flywheel noise at startup but the motor sounds pretty darn good and no smoking. Now I've got to get some brake work done and I'm ready for some driving.

my family had a '68... I miss that car:( That engine sounds AWESOME... considering... I do agree that it looks like LOTS OF WORK for the interior. Man that's a lot of cash. I would love to see the restoration work. HH \_ and :drive:'ing

It's ALIVE!

The new pony is up and running. The original 260 V8 sounds real good and smooth. I've drove it just a bit after fixing the brakes and all the new parts have started to roll in. Got new seat covers(full set), new carpet, new white convertible top and original style hubcaps so far. Got to get some whitewall tires for sure.

64-hubs-5.jpg

64-hubs-6.jpg

64-hubs-8.jpg

Hoped to get the new top put on but I ran into a snag and needed to order tack strip. I decided to go ahead and start installing some of the interior. I got the carpet and seat covers installed and should get the rest of my parts this week. I'm ready to start riding this pony.

64-newint-2.jpg

64-newint-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom