Wireless headphone tutorial

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
There have been a few good posts about going wireless on headphones lately. This is a detailed tutorial as far as how I did my set up, with instructions and links to what I used. There are tons of products out there to accomplish this, so pick what works best for you.

Some set ups out there use FM, some use RF, I wanted to use bluetooth so that I could use the transmitter with other players I had around if it isn't being used for the MD, plus be able to pair my phone to the earphones at the same time as the transmitter in case I get an important call while I'm swinging and digging without having to take my phone out of my pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NP9MYFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

transmitter.jpg

I researched transmitters extensively and chose this one because it's very small, has the ability to pair up to two devices simultaneously, and most importantly, has aptX audio codec for great sound and nearly zero latency when paired with aptX headphones. It gets about 8 hours on a charge, charges quickly, and works well. I put it on the box on my M6 with RC servo tape, well, because that's what I had around...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUVIO-42010...ew-/282032862546?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

auvio.jpg

My headphone jack output on my machine was too high a level for the transmitter, so I stopped at the radio shack and got this inline volume control. You may or may not need it. If your machine has a volume control, you won't need this part. I plugged the bluetooth transmitter 3.5mm plug into it, then plugged it into a 1/4 inch adapter to fit the jack on the M6. Just mess with the volume controls on the machine/inline controller and the headphones until you get the right sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOP3NPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

phones.jpg
phonesopen.jpg

I also researched headphones a LOT before finally deciding on these. I needed the aptX codec to go with the transmitter, volume controls, comfortable earcups, good build quality, and I wanted them to somewhat fold into a case so they wouldn't get torn up tossing them around the Jeep. Price limit I set was $100. These fit the bill on all accounts. I've worn them for up to 9 hours hunting and they are quite comfortable. I don't take my cans off when I retrieve targets either. You can still hear what's going on around you some, but they block a good bit of the noise. They pair easily and have real good sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30191978050...49&var=600725122642&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

powerbank.jpg

I went with this powerbank because it had a decent amount of mah for the price. 12,000 of them to be exact. You could use any powerbank really. I put this in my pocket if I think there's any chance I could run the battery low on the transmitter, the headphones, or my phone for that matter. Keep a long cord on it and you can plug it into any one of your accessories, leave it in your pocket and keep swinging away!

phone wiring.jpg
M6.jpg

And a shameless pic of my well used and always trustworthy Whites M6...

Well, hopefully I've made it easy to see how I put my set up together and we can all end up untethered from our machines and quit getting strangled every time we walk within 10 feet of a tree! It's super nice to retrieve a target and be able to move. Plus, if you run your machine as hot as I do, you can get it far enough away from the hole so that it's not going nuts every time you turn on your pinpointer. Thanks for looking. Good luck and HH!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Olds! Its very helpful. I'm ready to get away from the cord, yet keep my 'phones on while using my Sunray.

How do you connect your phone to the transmitter, if its on the MD?

The transmitter can pair with two bluetooth devices at the same time and switch between the two, but I need to correct the way I worded that. The earphones are what I connect to both, so they hear the MD through the transmitter and if the phone rings, I can pause the MD sound and answer the phone call through the earphones.

The transmitter can pair with two bluetooth devices at the same time and switch between the two, but I need to correct the way I worded that. The earphones are what I connect to both, so they hear the MD through the transmitter and if the phone rings, I can pause the MD sound and answer the phone call through the earphones.

Thanks Olds! I finally figured out that my phone is actually a Bluetooth device. I'm new at this. My new transmitter and headphones are on their way.

Very cool info, thank you! I tried this with my ace 250 for about 30 seconds and gave up. You have selected much better components that seem to work so I may try on the AT Pro.

Very cool info, thank you! I tried this with my ace 250 for about 30 seconds and gave up. You have selected much better components that seem to work so I may try on the AT Pro.

Yeah, if you're going the bluetooth route, low latency equipment is definitely a must. It doesn't sound just like being wired, but you get used to it very quickly. I can get used to a little bit tinny sound compared to what I had with the Gray Ghosts for the benefits that come with getting rid of the wires. Good luck and HH!

Does the transmitter and headphones need to be charged before first use? My transmitter arrived, but the headphones won't be here until Friday.

Me likey!!! Nice set up!

Thanks cellrdweller. I wasn't trying to jack your wireless thread that you had up, but thought a detailed write up with links and stuff would be helpful. The sound of the wireless takes a little getting used to, but I don't think I could go back. Hope everyone gets set up, and I'm glad to answer any questions here, or over PM. HH!

My headphones are arriving today. I hope the setup works well. I love my Liberty headphones, but I'm really ready to ditch the cord. Thanks again, Olds, for the write-up! Updates, and maybe questions, to follow.

My headphones are arriving today. I hope the setup works well. I love my Liberty headphones, but I'm really ready to ditch the cord. Thanks again, Olds, for the write-up! Updates, and maybe questions, to follow.

Let me know how it goes Stevo. I hope it makes your hunts more enjoyable. It sure has mine!

This is excellent! Thank you so much!

No problem Tinky. Good luck and HH!

I just got home, and now I'm in assembly mode. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, baby!! I'm movin' on up!:excited::signals::cool: No volume issues, so no need for the extra volume control. I stopped by WalMart on my way home, and bought some 3/4" sticky back Velcro, which fits exactly on the back of the transmitter with no trimming. They paired up in about 5 seconds. I dropped a silver quarter on the floor and ran the coil over it. The sound wasn't much different, and the latency doesn't seem to be a problem. So far, so good! I'm anxious to see how it works in the field. The headphones are nice and light. I'm sure the extra Bluetooth connection will be nice to use with my phone. More updates to come.

Attachments

• IMG_20160526_222913.jpg
    IMG_20160526_222913.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Yeah, baby!! I'm movin' on up!:excited::signals::cool: No volume issues, so no need for the extra volume control. I stopped by Wal-Mart on my way home, and bought some 3/4" sticky back Velcro, which fits exactly on the back of the transmitter with no trimming. They paired up in about 5 seconds. I dropped a silver quarter on the floor and ran the coil over it. The sound wasn't much different, and the latency doesn't seem to be a problem. So far, so good! I'm anxious to see how it works in the field. The headphones are nice and light. I'm sure the extra Bluetooth connection will be nice to use with my phone. More updates to come.

Nice! Glad it's working out so far. I think once you use it in the field for a couple hours you'll really be loving it. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom