Stronger digger than a lesche?

Capt. Morgan

Elite Member
Is there a better digger to use, other than a lesche? I have broken 2 now in the last 2 years. I love everything about it, other than it only lasting a year. They do replace them for free, minus shipping the broken one back, but it is kind of a hassle. I also use a 31" sampson, but I still like my trusty digger by my side as well.

Where did it break, I'm using a 18 inch lesche and can't imagine breaking it. I have used it as leverage to get small rocks out.
Hh

Digger

Ive been used the predator 31c, love it and its very strong. Ive noticed its not the best for very dry/hard ground though with the wide blade design. Good luck.

Is there a better digger to use, other than a lesche? I have broken 2 now in the last 2 years. I love everything about it, other than it only lasting a year. They do replace them for free, minus shipping the broken one back, but it is kind of a hassle. I also use a 31" sampson, but I still like my trusty digger by my side as well.

I have been using the same lesche forever. You must be Mr. T to break two of them. That is kinda impressive! lol

mmmm

You use the 31 T, and still use a HAND DIGGER :shock::roll::laughing: Retired the hand digger, once you find the T, ok for a back up, in your case Captain, ya better take two of everything , :shock:, Earl

I have also broken two Leche's, but I do way too much prying and not enough digging so I blame myself.
I do need to go deeper, faster and a scoop would be very helpful so a Predator is up next for me and I am anxious to see what it can do.
They can be broken too, Capt. Silver did a nice job on his but I know he can be pretty hard on his equipment like I am.
Also a club member has one and seems to love it but he did tell me that without the sharp point on the the end like the regular Leche tool getting through the top layer of frozen ground and I assume probably the hard-pack bone dry soil in the summer is a little difficult.
I will see once I get mine and if that is the case I am well versed in using a grinder so I can sharpen and even change the profile of the tip of this thing if necessary and I am willing to do that if need be even at the risk of voiding the warranty.
I figure my digging tools help me recover many hundreds and in really good years thousands of dollars worth of clad and jewelry out of the ground so as long as they last a decent amount of time replacement costs would be a wash if they helped me recover more good targets faster and easier.

Yep, I broke one and was wondering the same thing. The ground where I am can be very compact and hard so I do a lot of prying, no way around it. I'm thinking about one of those that I've seen made out of a lawnmower blade but that would sure add the weight. If you find something, be sure to let us know.

Seems pretty tough to me. Last weekend I went out into the frozen tundra of Wisconsin and tried to dig a few plugs. Hit an awesome signal about 8" down and started to cut into the cement like dirt. Sure enough, I found a BOX at the bottom and couldn't see the end of it. So I placed the tip of the digger on one edge of the box and literally JUMPED onto the handle several times. Miraculously nothing broke or bent even in the frigid temps. Yes...the box is still 8" down. Heartbreaking.

Man dude you must be trying to move boulders. I have pried very large stones and never had a problem. I have had mine for over 3 years now. Love it so much that I bought a piranha.

I use the lesche and the predator raptor 31... I like the lesche better because it can get around roots better, hard ground better, its lighter and easier on my wrist after a long day.. I think the predator model 85 is the same thing not sure if its thicker or not..but the lesche is just perfect for most.. When ground is too tough i use the 18" sampson T handle..

The Kellyco Razor Edge digger is stronger than the Lesche. I hope all you folks here using the 18" and 31" handle diggers are not using them in public parks, schools, etc. Doing so results in more places being closed to us. Small digging tools only in such places please!!

gunsil

The 31s cut a better plug than a hand digger, faster, find more in less time and effort , you can conceal it by holding it by the neck with your hand, the last time I ordered from KC, my credit card got hijacked, never again, it will be a cold day in H--- before I use a hand digger again, :laughing:, happy hunting, Earl

I assume that you're talking about hand diggers breaking. I have used my old 3-in-1 knife for almost thirty years without any signs of weakness. I have abused it and dug through rocks, bricks and even hammered it into rock hard clay. I wouldn't try that with a Lesche. I have even stood on it to pry something loose. I can't find it listed anymore but the current Hori-Hori knife is about as close as I can find.
3N1a.gif
I have wrapped the handle with leather and tape for added comfort.

Nothing is unbreakable, no matter how well it's made. I have seen a five foot Johnson pry bar broken in half by not using it properly. And that is quite the feat in itself. These diggers are designed to do one thing and that is dig loose ground. If you have to pry on anything, maybe you should get a small pry bar and use that to break up the ground so you can dig. I know it can be a hassle to carry more tools with you, but to me it is much better than having to buy another digger. ;) JMHO

I was under the impression that the Lesche has a lifetime replacement warranty and if broken you just return for a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom