100 posts for Classified Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonsize

Am I the only one or are there others that feel this rule might be a tad on the harsh side?

Is there a specific reason for the 100 minimum count? I belong to other forums that have similar rules but most set the limit at 10 posts.

My thought is there are a lot of items that will not ever make it into the classifieds.

Steve

i have only been here for a few months myself and I have seen this (almost exact) post more times than i can count.. which tells me the only people that have a problem with the rule are those that come here to sell their stuff. I think it would be great for those that just want to sell to be able to pay a 20.00$ fee to sell prior to the 100 post mark. On the other hand, all the banter you have to put up with when you do sell is not worth the trouble..i sold mine on ebay with zero jabs from the peanut gallery. and got very good $$ for it

viewFile-1.gif

ebay is the place to sell stuff if that is what is important to you. This site is for MDing fellowship...maybe sell some finds or equipment after you join the fellowship. The site also allows for sponsors if your a business. Just my view on the subject.

Am I the only one or are there others that feel this rule might be a tad on the harsh side?

Is there a specific reason for the 100 minimum count? I belong to other forums that have similar rules but most set the limit at 10 posts.

My thought is there are a lot of items that will not ever make it into the classifieds.

Steve

Only because you have 10.

I can't speak for the site, but too many scammers, post and skippers (post an item to never return), and others looking to post the same item on the 34th forum.

I'm glad it's 100, not that it matters. If you plan to stick around, it shouldn't be an issue. ;)

The intent of the classifieds, is just a convenient place to make a friendly exchange. There plenty of places on the web to run a business, or set up shop. I uses the 'New Posts' button, and to open up the classifieds to greater volume, would mean looking through pages of posts, and picking out the Metal Detecting posts. The alternative, would be to go through each forum, and subforum individually, and manually check for new posts, on each thread. It wouldn't be so fun and friendly.

A forum site is mainly for exchanging thoughts, ideas, and experience. We have equipment, that has served us well, and we upgrade. Our old equipment, is often an upgrade to another member, who would appreciate a chance at getting a good deal, from someone who isn't out to recover every penny invested, or pay the bulk of their new equipment. We find things, some keep and collect certain items, others only want to cash it in. It's nice to give a fellow hobbyist a shot at it first, before melting it.

A friendly exchange, or occasional sale of personally owned and used isn't a big deal, but to buy things with the expressed purpose to resell for profit, is a business. Operating a business, complicates things, and brings up tax questions (yeah, need to sit down and file mine soon).

Really shouldn't take a month, to reach 100 posts, and gives you some idea if this site inspires you. It's a great place, who can resist?

Steve

You will have to take up the number of posts with the membership because they helped decide a fair number and it was a hundred.

i have only been here for a few months myself and I have seen this (almost exact) post more times than i can count.. which tells me the only people that have a problem with the rule are those that come here to sell their stuff. I think it would be great for those that just want to sell to be able to pay a 20.00$ fee to sell prior to the 100 post mark. On the other hand, all the banter you have to put up with when you do sell is not worth the trouble..i sold mine on ebay with zero jabs from the peanut gallery. and got very good $$ for it

:goodpost:

I couldn't agree more !!

there are scammers out there, if your gonna be here for 30 days and 100 posts then you most likely are here for the hobby and not just to sell something.

It's not hard to make a number of posts on this forum if you truly love metal detecting. I was going to quit at 5,000 but I went past it so now I'm going to quit at 6,000 :roll: ...oh never mind.

I briefly saw two ads. One for sand scoops which I bought and one for headphones that I initially passed up. After some consideration I decided to buy the headphones and when I went looking for the ad it was gone. They were both placed by the same person. I found out from him that both ads had been deleted due to the "100 rule", so I asked. I abhor being treated like a ******** for asking simple questions as I am sure are others. This is the second time this has occurred to me on this web site. I'm now certain I'm not the only one and that there will be more good MD'ers lost to this forum because of this treatment than because of the silly-butt "100 rule". There are other ways to moderate to eliminate scammers and non MD'ing materials being posted.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I briefly saw two ads. One for sand scoops which I bought and one for headphones that I initially passed up. After some consideration I decided to buy the headphones and when I went looking for the ad it was gone. They were both placed by the same person. I found out from him that both ads had been deleted due to the "100 rule", so I asked. I abhor being treated like a ******** for asking simple questions as I am sure are others. This is the second time this has occurred to me on this web site. I'm now certain I'm not the only one and that there will be more good MD'ers lost to this forum because of this treatment than because of the silly-butt "100 rule". There are other ways to moderate to eliminate scammers and non MD'ing materials being posted.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry thats how you feel, but these are the rules.... All of us have to follow them. If you dont like it thats your problem! If you are here for the right reasons It doesnt take much effort to get to 100 significant posts!
You already got the time in, now just get your posts up! Easy as that!

Just my 2 cents.

Hey man...You are new here, you don't seem to understand these simple rules or why they were put in place, you seem very touchy and antagonized by essentially nothing that was aimed at you, and you decide you know better than the rest of the membership.

Tell ya what...If we lose MD'ers due to this rule, or anyone that thinks they were treated poorly because of it, most around here are not going to figure that as a big loss.

You are welcome here, even as an arrogant newbie type, but if you really want to have real change, start your own website and run the classifieds any way you want to.
Maybe then you will be happy.

I believe I AM here for the right reasons...

#1, to learn. I know there are volumes of information to be gleaned about all aspects of MD'ing. This includes aspects of this forum that I may or may not like. I'm not sure how my questioning them would lead you to believe I don't like them or am not willing to abide by them.

#2, Possibly to purchase wanted equipment. I admit to liking a bargain just as much as anybody. My thoughts are that some newbies get into the hobby only to get out just as quick, selling their unwanted equipment. Having seen the amount of scams on craigslist AND ebay, I was thinking it would be safer here.

#3, to teach, if I am ever in a position to share what little I know about this hobby I certainly would.

I am NOT here to run up my post count so I can list stuff in the classifieds, and I would NOT ever encourage anybody else to either.

Your demeaning type post is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post. IMHO it is not the classifieds that need more moderating.

No. 14 and counting.

I believe I AM here for the right reasons...

#1, to learn. I know there are volumes of information to be gleaned about all aspects of MD'ing. This includes aspects of this forum that I may or may not like. I'm not sure how my questioning them would lead you to believe I don't like them or am not willing to abide by them.

#2, Possibly to purchase wanted equipment. I admit to liking a bargain just as much as anybody. My thoughts are that some newbies get into the hobby only to get out just as quick, selling their unwanted equipment. Having seen the amount of scams on craigslist AND ebay, I was thinking it would be safer here.

#3, to teach, if I am ever in a position to share what little I know about this hobby I certainly would.

I am NOT here to run up my post count so I can list stuff in the classifieds, and I would NOT ever encourage anybody else to either.

Your demeaning type post is exactly what I was referring to in my previous post. IMHO it is not the classifieds that need more moderating.

No. 14 and counting.

Don't like it, or my "demeaning type post", tough.
At this point, your HO doesn't mean much to most around here, infantile as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom