Variety of Targets, Including Gold and Silver

LawrencetheMDer

I’ve been disappointed in the surf, lately; having spent about 9 hrs in the water and coming away with a single silver ring and a few coins. So I turned my attention to an “off” place – somewhere people go but MDers usually don’t (figure that one out). Anyways, I first hit the main beach and after 2 hrs had a few coins, a junk ring and a silver ear ring with 2 ct clear stone. So I drove down and found a seldom hunted shoreline. I could tell it hadn’t been hunted much because of the number of targets; they were everywhere! [Only later did I find out that they were mostly pull/push tabs or parts of them. Probably explains why it wasn’t hunted!] In fact, I usually take a scoop of sand and dump it out and kick the lump around until I find the target. At this point my Pointer is indispensable. But on this section of beach I couldn’t find a quiet patch of beach to dump the scoop because nothing was quiet! What a great problem to have, I think…

Here is a picture of the good targets found in my 5 hr hunt. I’ll have to say at this point that for every good target I found, as shown, I must have dug 5 pull/push tabs or their parts for every good target. Boy, I got a heck of a workout. It was really nonstop digging for 3 hours. When I looked behind me, the beach looked like someone had plowed it. Yea, that was me – I dug and filled a heck of a lot of holes on 100 yards of beach.

Here is a really nice 14K yellow gold ring (2.54g, 11-12 in situ on Equinox 800) with cut-out design, found among the pull/push tabs. At this point, I was using the Equinox display numbers to rule-out pull/push tabs (14, 15 avoid) and help determine the targets to dig (along with stable readings). The Equinox was great at picking out the good targets from the trash, for the most part. Fast recovery helps. Eventually, I’ll go back and dig everything.

Silver pieces included a 925 snake ring (ref, Medicine) and a 925 CZ stone (about 2 ct) ear ring stud. Both are heavily encrusted.

I must find 3 or 4 of these a year; Cremation tags. Wife is “grossed-out” by them. This thin brass tag (1” x 1 ¾”) is from the “Palm State Crematory Service in Clearwater Florida.” Often, the cremation tags are round and about 1” in diameter. I know from experience that Cremation tags are BAD LUCK, so this one is going back into the Gulf tomorrow morning…hopefully I don’t find it again.

I can always use a good Cigar cutter and this one will come in handy on the golf course.

I tend to find a lot of fishing weights when I hunt and this one was a Whopper #8 – dang 8 ozs; that is a ½ pound! [I’m good at math.]

When I first found this token I thought it was a quarter. When I got home I realized it was some type of token – has the classic US spread eagle on the Reverse and “No Cash Value” on the Obverse. It appears that some of the silver-wash has worn off and appears to be brass underneath. The token is slightly larger than a US quarter.

That is what I love about metal detecting; the variety of targets you find. Ya just never know.

Next Day Follow-up

I decided to return to the spot that yielded the gold ring and cremation tag and dig everything I could; I spent 7 hrs digging every minute; no drink and no food. Unfortunately, I forgot to return the Palm State Cremation tag to the Gulf! I even had it in my pocket. Oh !!!!! As I said above; cremation tags are BAD luck. That explains why I didn’t find a single piece of jewelry the whole day. I did find 77 coins, 33 fishing weights and about 475 pull/push tabs…I wish I was kidding.

To make matters worse, I found another Cremation tag (1 1/8" diameter) with a dyer warning – the Cremation tag was from Schoedinger Crematory in Columbus Ohio. My home town! The cremation tags says on the obverse; ‘SCHOEDINGER/COLUMBUS OHIO/CREMATORY”. The reverse is stamped with a 5 digit ID number.

I have been to services at this Funeral home/crematory! This crematory could very well be where my body spends its final day on Earth! This Cremation tag may be My Cremation tag many years from now; I told my wife I wanted to be cremated and ashes spread across the Gulf so I can metal detect forever (seriously). My finding the Schoedinger cremation tag from my home town a thousand miles away and the lack of jewelry in over 500 retrieved targets are dyer warnings to return the cremation tag(s) to the Gulf. I did so today.

If you find a cremation tag – return it from where you found it. Also, search for melted gold teeth in the vicinity of the tag. Ya never know.
Happy Hunting

Attachments

• Finds 020920.jpg
    Finds 020920.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 311
  • Gold ring 2020.jpg
    Gold ring 2020.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Snake ring cleaned better 2020.jpg
    Snake ring cleaned better 2020.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 264
  • Silver studded ear ring.jpg
    Silver studded ear ring.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Palm State Crematory Tag 2020.jpg
    Palm State Crematory Tag 2020.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 268
  • schoedinger cremation tag 2020.jpg
    schoedinger cremation tag 2020.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Token Reverse 2020.jpg
    Token Reverse 2020.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Token Obverse.jpg
    Token Obverse.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 8 OZ sinker 2020.jpg
    8 OZ sinker 2020.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Cigar cutter 2020.jpg
    Cigar cutter 2020.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 273
Good at math :laughing:
Great write up, fun read. Thank you.

Congrats on the gold ring - cool design, and the silver :). Cremation tags would make a cool necklace..... totally kidding! Bad ju ju!

:dingding: Congrats on the gold but that snake ring is super cool as well! I like the cremation idea as well but using the ashes for those artificial reefs that are made. (See pic below)

Attachments

• artificial_20coral_20reef.jpg
    artificial_20coral_20reef.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 267
Nice write up on the adventures. I love the gold but that snake ring takes the design of the day award. Your correct on the teeth, I found a few years ago that had just been dumped, and not far away were the tags. I did not put it together right away until it happened a couple times.

Great write up. Sounds similar to some of my hunts in So.Cal. I also found a tag from Ohio last year , immediately tossed it back. I can tell you have been hunting awile . I might add 1 thing though : I know 14-15 is 99% junk especially when you are digging that amount of targets. BUT , I would not ignore those. You may be surprised ! That's just from my experience due to depth and mineralization here in So.Cal. Nice hunt and workout !

Back
Top Bottom