Best Advise from Dad

Big Treble

Forum Supporter
My dad's been gone now for 20 years, but heard a news a station this morning asking what the best advise you dad ever gave you. Thought this might be fun to hear.

His best advise to me;

"When you complain to others, 40% of the people don't care and the other 60% are glad it's happening to you"

Attachments

• Image-3546.jpg
    Image-3546.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 200
"don't ever get visible tattoos or pierce parts of your body"

Name one successful person who looks like this.

1407495966849_Image_galleryImage_EXCLUSIVE_Kala_Kaiwi_from.JPG

Turns out dad was right.

My Old Man told me back in '77..."Dammit Son!, if you dont get smart and start using your head, you may as well have two @ssholes!"...

Ever since, I've been suffering the consequences by ignoring the former, as well as pondering the possible advantages of the latter....All in all, 40yrs later, dust settled, evidence proves he was right!...:laughing:

my old man told me back in '77..."dammit son!, if you dont get smart and start using your head, you may as well have two @ssholes!"...

Ever since, i've been suffering the consequences by ignoring the former, as well as pondering the possible advantages of the latter....all in all, 40yrs later, dust settled, evidence proves he was right!...:laughing:

roflma

Not necessarily advice, but still good to keep in mind, he once said (probably referring to his younger days as a kid during the depression)

"I used to complain about not having any shoes until I saw the boy who had no feet".

(in other words, you can always find stuff to be thankful for instead of complaining about what you don't have)

Mine wasn't a very good "Dad", but he did give me some silent advice. He was a boozer, and I was almost thirty years old when I realized he had taught me how NOT to be.
I did do some drinking in my late teens/early twenties, but not heavy, and I severely restricted myself after driving three friends home one night, and the next morning, only remembering about 40% of the trip. I haven't touched anything since I got out of the 'Guard in '04.
I figured out that that stuff will make you grow old early, if not done in strict moderation.

Roger

My dads given so much good advise it would be hard to decide on a best.But if I had to choose it would be "live your life to bring glory to God and put your trust in Him.Happy fathers day.👍

My dad hasn’t given worthwhile advice, but my Gramps did. He said “You can learn something from anyone. Some will teach you the way to do something. Others will teach you how not to do it.”

My dad was always giving me tidbits of advice, usually about the situation at hand.

"Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff".

"If you want people to say nice things about you when you die, you have to do good things while you're alive."

"Don't just stand there looking stupid. Do something, even if it's wrong."

"Nobody out there gives a damn about you. You either learn to pull your own weight or the world will leave you behind."

He also helped me to improve my memory:
"Boy, what did I just finish telling you?"

And he helped me ponder some of life's deeper questions:
"What in the world is wrong with you?"

But every once is a while he would get mushy and say something like:
"You're my favorite son." (I'm the only boy)

Another we heard when we were growing up.

" you want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about"

Fortunately he was mostly talk, but it made us think and shut up.

Another we heard when we were growing up.

" you want something to cry about? I'll give you something to cry about"

Fortunately he was mostly talk, but it made us think and shut up.

LOL! That's too funny, that was one of my dad's favorites,
" Quit that cry'in before I give you something to cry about"
My dad never once hit me (that was mom's job ;)) but when dad's face got red and I knew he was angry I would shut up fast.

I am blessed with a wise father who has in both word and deed shown me how to live. He has taught me so much, but the thing that stands out to me above all else is his encouragement to find in God's Word His perfect plan for me, and then obey it.

Happy Father's Day (belated)! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom