• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

In search of.....

Ferrous

Elite Member
a ghost town. I've been doing some research of the local area where I live. Turn of the century this was a very active silver mining area. With a little map research and my trusty gps my wife and I headed up the canyon behind our home. We were looking for the remains of a mining town called Muldoon. In it's hey day it had a population of about 2000 people. This town supported several mines, a smelter and charcoal kiln works,a couple of saloons,general stores, a livery stable, and other bussinesses. When we got there a local rancher stopped and gave us a little history lesson.Said his Grandma used to work in the biggest saloon and showed us which celler hole marked that location. Well, none of the buildings remain but I did detect for about an hour. Tons of square cut nails everywhere. Found a couple of samples to bring back. This site definantly needs to be searched hard by a few detestorists for a full day. The remains of the kilns are still there as a slag pile. All in all it made for a fun day.
Bruce

Attachments

• P1010093_edited (Small).JPG
    P1010093_edited (Small).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 219
  • P1010095_edited (Small).JPG
    P1010095_edited (Small).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 213
  • P1010092_edited (Small).JPG
    P1010092_edited (Small).JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010090_edited (Small).JPG
    P1010090_edited (Small).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010084_edited (Small).JPG
    P1010084_edited (Small).JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 209
Nice photos, good job finding it and getting some exellent pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Checking with ghosttowns.com, their description of what remains of the site, is exactly what your pictures show. The black slag pile and old kilns.

Idaho looks so beautiful. Good climate too... Been buying peaches from Idaho lately at the grocery store... yummy :) I'd hit that place hard... If 2000 people were there, that means coins...

There just has to be some good stuff there... I am sure you checked Sanborn maps etc.... I would be mapping cellar holes... and privy spots... not to mention any remaining signs of dwellings and their associated property markers. RickO

More stuff there... for sure.

There just has to be some good stuff there... I am sure you checked Sanborn maps etc.... I would be mapping cellar holes... and privy spots... not to mention any remaining signs of dwellings and their associated property markers. RickO

It is about a 25 mile drive(one way) on dirt roads from my house. We took a Sunday drive and I really didn't know what to expect. The ground was very hard and it took me about 10 mins just to dig one target. I am using a MXT and tried both the coin and jewelry then the relic mode. Seems to do better in the relic because with the amount of iron nails I was able to pick out a couple of brass items. I think this is where a smaller eliptical coil would shine. I would like to go back and take a more experienced detectorist with me. Maybe in the Spring......any takers? Anyone have a coil recommendation?

Back
Top Bottom