Tips for shallow stream hunting?

eculuke

I have a relatively shallow stream that runs into the woods behind my house....I am interested in hitting it with my AT PRO and was looking for any stream MD tips. Its probably 3-10 inches deep in some areas. It has small pebbles and no large rocks. I was wondering if you guys swing right above the water or below. Its somewhat hard to swing in a moving stream.

Thanks
Luke

Has to be underwater, skimming the bottom hovering over rocks, and I can't imagine 3-10 inches of water is gonna hold you back that much. Plenty of guys brave the ocean swell and sea chop (although with waterproof detectors).

That said I would try swinging left to right while walking downstream and go slow. Should be able to find some time where its not flowing as hard too.

What are you looking for in a shallow stream??? If it's that shallow, how do people swim in it to loose jewelery? Is it a gold stream? An old crossing?

You will still need your coil on the bottom, air hunting does not work will with a metal detector.

What are you looking for in a shallow stream??? If it's that shallow, how do people swim in it to loose jewelery? Is it a gold stream? An old crossing?

You will still need your coil on the bottom, air hunting does not work will with a metal detector.

Sounds like a "might as well" kinda hunt. And its close to home for him. I realize what you mean though. If it's small loose rocks and only 10 inches deep its probably not very old (erosion and such). :cool:

I've hunted a similar stream here. Reason why is nearby was used for troop encampment...nearest water source. Who knows.

I find, depending on bottom condition, walking upstream with the stired up silt flowing away behind you is more desirable.

What kind of activity happened there? Think about areas where people crossed, swam, partied or sunbathed. Your post is vague. Were people there before or are you just out in the woods?

Back
Top Bottom