Best Return Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

Ok Folks here is the contest: Write up a story of your Best Return. What happened? What did the person lose? What were the challenges in finding this lost item? What did you do differently that other hunters might not have done. Remember it does not have to be bling...some of my Best Returns have been keys and prescription glasses. Pictures are always helpful.

Here is the prize....You get one brand new "Basic Ear Training for Excalibur CD" and you get to pick one of your buddies to get a CD as well. The winner will be picked on January 1st. You can also lobby for your favorite story by giving kudos' to posts you like.

The winning story will get posted under "articles" on my personal website:

www.IFINDWHATYOULOSE.COM

Best of Luck

Found a huge 17 gram 10k class ring but it won't fit here.

Let me know when you start a "Worst return" thread.
I am sure to win that one.

Fair Enough! No entries yet so the rules are amended. Best Return or Worst Return stories. I had a worst return as well. It was a Lesson Learned. I might write it up here for the heck of it.

My Entry

A Nice Ring To It

Many of us have been there. We unearth an exciting find. The gold and silver is shining back at us with a row of diamond teeth like a smile just happy to see us. Overcome with joy, we think of how lucky we are to have found such a special item and how to introduce it into our lives. But then the question of who else’s life has this touched? Who’s heart would it have a more special place than our own? Now it is a goal of reuniting the lost with the loved.

My mother would tell me stories of how she had lost her wedding & engagement rings long ago. Unlike most stories however she knew the general resting place of her lost items and it only became a question of getting the means to recover them. I recently got in to the hobby of metal detecting about 2 years ago and thought to myself, “what a great rescue mission this could be!” The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to complete the challenge I had given myself. I set out to find my mother’s lost rings and this is her story:

28 years ago, in a silly fit of anger at my husband, I removed my wedding band along with an antique opal ring he had recently given to me. Yelling at him, I threw the rings out into the backyard of our first house in Kalamazoo. The next day, I realized my actions and began to search frantically for the rings. Renting a metal detector, I attempted to find them with no such luck! Years went by and I rarely thought about them, as all hope was lost. My son, Ace, recently re-introduced me to metal detecting, joining SWMSS, and purchased a metal detector of my own.

Last month at the meeting, I was looking at the display of jewelry finds of the month and my eyes kept returning to an entry of 2 particular rings. I mentioned to several people that one of the rings looked just like my old wedding band and while the other ring was an opal, I could not recall it’s exact identity as it had been so long ago. I wanted to turn the card over so bad to see who had found the rings and I asked Ace if I should do that, but he told me not to since we had not voted yet.

After the voting and just before the break, Mike Walker, who I also spoke with about the rings looking very familiar said, “a young lady had come up to me earlier asking if it was possible to find out where the two rings were found and by whom.” He confused me at this point as he looked in my direction because at 58 years, I did not consider myself to be “young!” As I stood up realizing he was talking about me, I told my story of how I lost rings similar to those. Next, he asked if the newly found owner of the rings would also stand up to reveal themselves and all information about the rings. I was sitting on the far left side of the room and the only person to my left was my son, Ace. I looked around the room and didn’t see anyone standing immediately until I turned around towards Ace, standing beside me!

I could not believe he had done this for me! He’d heard the story over the years and had gone hunting at our old home, the one before he was even born, the day before the meeting! Ace and his father met me for dinner before the meeting that night in Plainwell. Apparently they had spoken on the phone the day before and both knew that the rings had been found and agreed to keep it a secret in order to arrange the surprise showing at the meeting. Needless to say, I thought it was the perfect way to return my lost rings! I am so grateful to Ace and so proud that he made the return such a special and fun experience!

This experience was so fun for my family and myself. So next time you hit that wonderful find buried beneath the ground, think to yourself what you’d rather have… the find… or the story of a lifetime? I really want to thank everyone that helped make this possible! In last month’s newsletter, there was an article that talked about SWMSS being a family of its own and it truly is one! Even as a new member, I have personally met a bunch of great people and continue to make new friends day in and day out. I’m so happy to have found a life long hobby and will hopefully get plenty of lifelong friends in the process!

-Ace & Patty Covey-

Attachments

• storypic_niceringtoitsm.jpg
    storypic_niceringtoitsm.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 464
  • storypic_niceringtoit2sm.jpg
    storypic_niceringtoit2sm.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 458
My Worst Return

How do you top that?

I can't!

:shock:

I can't....that is an awesome story. Here is my Worst Return Story (I am disqualified from the contest...just FYI)

I was hunting an East Coast Beach in Florida when a woman in her early thirties walked up to me and asked me if I could help her locate her bangle gold bracelet. She said it had dropped close to her towel and she and her family members could not locate it.

I normally over communicate in regards to getting a description of a ring as I want a precise description with unique Identifying factors. But in this case I figured..."Hey it's a gold bangle and near her towel...It should be easy to find."

I scanned the sand with my Excal and hit a big low tone that sounded good. As I brought the scoop up and the sand drained through the holes I spotted the outline of the gold bangle. My first thoughts were...."Red Flag, Something does not smell right!" It was a Bangle, It was Gold but it was obviously a child's Bangle." No way could it have even remotely fit the lady claiming it. As I held it out she obviously sensed the look on my face and now the story changed..."It used to be her Bangle...Then she gave it to her niece...who now lost it in the sand...thus explaining why it was a child's bangle" But I knew she was not telling the truth as her initial story had been she had dropped "her Bangle" next to the towels.

Here is what really happened....There was a family next to her family on the beach. They were the ones that lost the bangle. Having searched for it and given up...the family left. Then I came along and the family sitting next to the spot (having been aware of the entire situation) asked me to search for "their bangle".

There was no way I could have refused to give it to her as she had asked me to find a lost gold bangle. But when the story suddenly changed to match the facts I knew she was lying. I chalked it up as a lesson learned. The takeaway is always to get a complete and accurate description of what you are looking for. Generic descriptions are a red flag!
HH

Come on now... I know there are plenty of return stories out there... share the wealth folks! I'm sure that is what this contest was meant for!!

For lack of entries I'll throw mine on here. It's nothing too special and it's my only return so here goes...

I was detecting a tot lot when I hit something big. At first I thought it was a pop can from the signal size but out pops a big Boy Scout badge. The kid's name was Sharpied on the back so I did a little online digging (get it...digging :laughing:) and was able to find the troops website. It didn't have any contact information besides "email the webmaster" so I just told the webmaster my story and left an email address to contact me if there was somewhere to return the badge. Turns out the webmaster was the troop leader. He was very appreciative and gave me his home address to return the badge, and I got another email later that night thanking me again and saying how happy the boy was to get his badge back.

I felt warm and fuzzy for a good 15 minutes :grin:

Thanks

For lack of entries I'll throw mine on here. It's nothing too special and it's my only return so here goes...

I was detecting a tot lot when I hit something big. At first I thought it was a pop can from the signal size but out pops a big Boy Scout badge. The kid's name was Sharpied on the back so I did a little online digging (get it...digging :laughing:) and was able to find the troops website. It didn't have any contact information besides "email the webmaster" so I just told the webmaster my story and left an email address to contact me if there was somewhere to return the badge. Turns out the webmaster was the troop leader. He was very appreciative and gave me his home address to return the badge, and I got another email later that night thanking me again and saying how happy the boy was to get his badge back.

I felt warm and fuzzy for a good 15 minutes :grin:

Thanks Snail Racer....Any return that is truly appreciated is a good return. The contest time ran out on the Jan first and so Ace was mailed 2 CD's in this mornings mail. Best Regards to all for much luck in 2012.....And Thanks to Ace and Snail for their stories!

Back in October, my brother in law was sighting in his muzzleloader on my property. He went to raise the rear sight, and the little notched piece that holds it up fell out. He called later in the day and gave me a general location. Hunted for it after work, found it in about 10 minutes. Any hunter out there knows how small this thing is. Sorry, thats all I got......:grin:

Tony, got the CDs in the mail today! Can't wait to pop them in for a listen... thanks so much! FYI... this is the craziest tape job on an envelope I've ever seen!!! :lol:

My Pleasure

.....No Problem....Glad you got the CD's. The CD is designed for the Excal but the basic concepts apply to all detectors. Happy Hunting and tell your Mom not to throw the rings in the back yard anymore ;)

.....No Problem....Glad you got the CD's. The CD is designed for the Excal but the basic concepts apply to all detectors. Happy Hunting and tell your Mom not to throw the rings in the back yard anymore ;)

Why not??? :?: Then I won't win amazing contests!!! :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom