Southern Indiana Treasure Fest 2011 - My First Day - 17 Silvers!

KYshooter

Elite Member
Well, I’ve never done any “competition” fast hunting before. This was a first for me. I’m quite accustomed to taking 3 or 4 hours to work a good sized yard. So it blows my mind to see a 2 or 3 acre field cleared out in 15 minutes. But that’s how things went today.

I must admit that I did pretty well … a lot better than I expected. In three hunts, totaling about one hour total, I managed to pull 17 silver dimes and 10 Indian Head pennies. Here are my total finds:
07-27-11-finds-e1311814891837.jpg

I also dug four prize tokens, which earned me an 1834 Large Cent, a Beach Scoop (retail $12.95), two White’s Electronic hats, two water bottles, and other little White’s trinkets. (White’s was the sponsor today …) Here are those prizes:
07-27-11-token-finds-small1.jpg

I’ll be back at it tomorrow. It’s Garrett day. Hopefully, I’ll have lots more pictures then! :)

sounds like fun, does this fest have a website I can check out?

good luck on the rest of the days

wow...even though they are planted coins,( i'm assuming) ...thats some serious totals for sivers and IH's for an hours hunting. i assume none of the coins were all that deep?

Anyway..congrats!!

now thats what I call treasure hunting Igive u a big CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!HH:D:cool:

wow...even though they are planted coins,( i'm assuming) ...thats some serious totals for sivers and IH's for an hours hunting. i assume none of the coins were all that deep?

Anyway..congrats!!

Yep, seeded hunt. They put all of the registration fees back into silver dimes and IH's. Tokens cover prizes from all of the major detector manufacturers.

It is rip-roaring fast. A bot too fast for me. I am such a slow, deliberate hunter. It was almost comical, watching some of those guys swing. I just knew someone was going to let their detector fly! :lol:

It was actually three hunts, but each one was over (basically) in 20 minutes. It's amazing how fast 50-60 people can clean out a field.

Kudos to White's Electronics today. They gave away 2 detectors and gobs of other prizes.

sounds like fun, does this fest have a website I can check out?

good luck on the rest of the days

I'll try to find it for you. I actually stumbled across it on the forums. I don't think it has a site per se, but let me see what I can do. 7 days of hunting @ $50 a day (or any portion of days that you want to hunt). Bounty Hunter sponsors a 4-day "shoot out" for the big guns.

**Update*** - Here's a page with contact info: http://www.wraystreasureshop.com/untitled-page-4.html

**Update*** - Here's a page with contact info: http://www.wraystreasureshop.com/untitled-page-4.html

cool finds, bunch of hunts, free detectors, this place sounds really great

thanks for the link, they could put a bit more details/photos/etc on their site :(

i too saw it mentioned it awhile back but couldn't find any more info on the event so dismissed it, i'm in eastern ky but it could have been possible to make a long drive

if you make it back out maybe you can post a picture of the event also with your finds.

cool finds, bunch of hunts, free detectors, this place sounds really great

thanks for the link, they could put a bit more details/photos/etc on their site :(

i too saw it mentioned it awhile back but couldn't find any more info on the event so dismissed it, i'm in eastern ky but it could have been possible to make a long drive

if you make it back out maybe you can post a picture of the event also with your finds.

That's actually just a local business site. I think they're starting their own site for the event. I'll try to get the url.

I used to attend a lot of organized hunts back in the 80's. I met a lot of good friends that way...before the Internet. I even got a taste of Civil War hunting (Something that I have alwys wanted to do) at a hunt in Tulsa. All of the finds were actual Civil War finds hidden in a wooded area. I found my first gold coin at a hunt in St. Joe, Missouri. I won a TV and a cheap Fisher detector in Kansas City on my birthday. Lots of silver, wheats, and other things I can't recall off hand. I think the friends I made at those hunts were my biggest treasures.

In most of the hunts that I attended, they were shallowly buried except for night hunts where they were just thrown out on a field and you hunted without any kind of lights. I attended one where a thunderstorm came up during the night hunt. Every time the lightning flashed, you could see the coins on the ground. I suddenly realized that I was in an open field swinging a lightning rod.

I was like ....that many in an hour......must be seeded...but would be fun.....but could you imagine a hunt with all that with all digs....no seeds.....Dang....but I will still take some of that silver....nice job.

"Yep, seeded hunt. They put all of the registration fees back into silver dimes and IH's. Tokens cover prizes from all of the major detector manufacturers."

Almost looks like it was rigged and the coins were placed there.

They were. Look at his post that i quoted above.

How DEEP were those???? Any challenge or basically just plucked them off the surface? That'd be boring as crap to me. Sounds like they didn't plant any realistic targets. No sport in that - but oh well. To each his own.

How DEEP were those???? Any challenge or basically just plucked them off the surface? That'd be boring as crap to me. Sounds like they didn't plant any realistic targets. No sport in that - but oh well. To each his own.

Every target I dug was in the 1-3 inch range. A couple yesterday were closer to four inches.

This is my first try at the "competition" speed hunt. It's really not for me. I don't enjoy bumping elbows with 50 other hunters on a small field. The hunts are basically over in 15 minutes.

But ... since I did pay my registration fees in advance, I'm going to stick around and get as much silver and as many prizes as I can out of the deal.

Not sure that I'll do anything like it again, though. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom