Detecting the sand just above the waterline...is it worth it?

DigDugNY

I don't normally detect the wet sand because I never had any machines that would be successful in it or I just don't want to risk ruining my detectors...I do have an E-trac just so you all know, but I am bringin my Whites Eagle Spectrum instead because I am very cautious of going near the wet stuff and I definitely don't want to risk ruining it. But, to combat that, I might try to detect the dry sand just above where the waterline ends in the morning and then again later on in the afternoon when people leave. Is there a success rate of finding jewelry in this area? I know dry sand finds happen, but i also know they aren't common.

You'll find that gold can be found anywhere on the beach. I found a 1/2 ounce 18k band about a month ago in pretty much the area you seem to be talking about, at the top of the wet sand slope by the high tide line.

I know the wet sand is tempting to hunt, but there is gold and silver in the dry sand as well.

Edit: Just saw in your other thread that you have an Etrac, you can hunt anywhere but in the water. In the summer it's all about just covering ground and looking for fresh drops so just pick an area that is usually highly populated and grid from the high tide line to water line.

Its definately worth it. Ive found more stuff there in the past than any other area. Sometimes in the water is the best place for jewelry but plenty gets lost out of the water too.

You'll find that gold can be found anywhere on the beach. I found a 1/2 ounce 18k band about a month ago in pretty much the area you seem to be talking about, at the top of the wet sand slope by the high tide line.

I know the wet sand is tempting to hunt, but there is gold and silver in the dry sand as well.

Edit: Just saw in your other thread that you have an Etrac, you can hunt anywhere but in the water. In the summer it's all about just covering ground and looking for fresh drops so just pick an area that is usually highly populated and grid from the high tide line to water line.

I do have an E-trac, but im bringing a Whites Eagle Spectrum because I am very cautious about going near the water and if anything did happen, i would rather it be to that, than the E-trac, lol

That is where most of my finds have come from this year and I have found 2 silver pieces of jewelry and 2 mercs

You have a couple of things that make the water line a good choice. Tide difference in the winter and summer. Higher tides in the summer and if you get enough wave action you get sand movement from in the water and off the beach. Winter..... with a big swing between high and low tides again stuff gets moved. Also the summer high tides where the mommy line was is now above the water line. Recent drops take place anywhere..... but in the winter fewer people are in the water..... so where do you think they loose stuff?

Dew

I found a lot of gold and silver this year hunting the top of the slope... Sandy hurt some helped others ;)

Do you actually hunt just above where it slopes or do you detect the slanted part as well?

About 10 feet above but mainly I hunt the slope where mommies would sit and bury their hands in the sand while watching their children... sometimes when they extract their hands their rings are left behind ;) that would be the top 6 feet of the slope... I also like hunting the bottom of the slope and out 10 or so feet from there at the bottom... a lot more trash there but its also where a lot of gold gathers and a machine like the GT excels...

Back
Top Bottom