Confused about Threshold vs Volume?

max threshold...

While on the subject of threshold does any one want elaborate on threshold tone or pitch?
I like mine set at the max as it really makes silver scream:shock:

Cliff which detector do you use?

Tesoro's that have a threshold based all metal mode can be 'super tuned' for louder audio responses when switched over to the silent search disc mode.. It may not gain depth but sure does increase the target volume. The downside is that at higher sensitivity settings it makes 'em cranky around iron. While Tesoro's are noted for their iron rejection, cranking the threshold in disc mode negates that.

HH Tom

Minelab explorer SE it's called threshold tone I have it maxed out with ferrous sounds selected. Nails and crown caps X' out
Silver comes in very high iron and trash are just low grunts. This setup works very good for me.

On the E-Trac it's called threshold pitch and I have it maxed out also conduct sounds selected with Andy's coin pattern.
I have only been out a few times with the E-Trac so I am still experimenting with what will work the best for me.

Cliff

Thanks for the info Rudy. I am still a newbie with a adjustable Threshold so this helped me a lot.

Thank you

Great post Rudy! :clap:

Thanks for the info Rudy. I am still a newbie with a adjustable Threshold so this helped me a lot.

Thank you

You are welcome Dorado and Dirt Driven.

Hey Rudy, I'm confused about volume and gain. Are they the same thing? :?:
Thanks.

On the MXT, the sound volume and the gain are controlled by the same knob. Volume, just like a radio, just amplifies the sound. Gain usually refers to the pre-amp section and amplifies the signal from the coil, before it is run through the discriminator section of the detector.

Hi Rudy

Thanks for a great explanation of what threshhold is/does ! I have a question then. I just got an Xterra 705. I have the threshhold set in my headphones to a level where I can just barely hear it. It's basically a faint background humming noise.

Where I am confused is this; I have been running the 705 since I got it in All Metal mode with 2 tones. Low tones I ignore, high tones I dig. You said; "You see, when you go over a ferrous item, the threshold sound will usually null (will go quiet) momentarily." and "When you hear the threshold null out, you know you went over a ferrous item and you need to slow down and or change your sweep direction lest you miss a valuable target buried nearby the ferrous item. With a silent search machine you won't know it's happening."

When I go over a piece of junk, I get a low beep usually with a negative #. When I go over a good target I get a high beep with a positive #. I don't ever notice the threshhold null out. Is that because I have it turned down too low or because I am in All metal mode ?

Bill

Hi Rudy

Thanks for a great explanation of what threshhold is/does ! I have a question then. I just got an Xterra 705. I have the threshhold set in my headphones to a level where I can just barely hear it. It's basically a faint background humming noise.

Where I am confused is this; I have been running the 705 since I got it in All Metal mode with 2 tones. Low tones I ignore, high tones I dig. You said; "You see, when you go over a ferrous item, the threshold sound will usually null (will go quiet) momentarily." and "When you hear the threshold null out, you know you went over a ferrous item and you need to slow down and or change your sweep direction lest you miss a valuable target buried nearby the ferrous item. With a silent search machine you won't know it's happening."

When I go over a piece of junk, I get a low beep usually with a negative #. When I go over a good target I get a high beep with a positive #. I don't ever notice the threshhold null out. Is that because I have it turned down too low or because I am in All metal mode ?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am not familiar with the XTerras, but from your description it sounds like it is in a kind of two-tone discriminate mode, with the discrimination set to minimum, or a mixed mode where the threshold sound from all-metal mode is combined with discriminate mode, similar to Relic mode on the MXT. Under these conditions, you wouldn't hear the threshold nulling as the low beep would overwhelm the threshold sound.

With my old Teknetic 9000, the tone of the threshold is adjustable so you can set it to match the audio ID of a certain item that you are looking for. I just use it so that I know that my detector is still working. I think the old Teks had the best audio ID's ever made.

I wish I could have had this post to read back when I first started detecting. It would have been so helpful to me. I'm glad you compared it to the squelch on a cb as this will help me to explain this feature to others.:goodpost:

I wish I could have had this post to read back when I first started detecting. It would have been so helpful to me. I'm glad you compared it to the squelch on a cb as this will help me to explain this feature to others.:goodpost:

Glad it was of some help to you.

Back
Top Bottom