Defective ProFind35

jl1252

Elite Member
Got a brand new ProFind35 from Colonial Metal Detectors at the beginning of the month and couldn't be happier with their service.

I finally got a chance to take the pinpointer out and I am very disappointed as I think I got a dud.

When I attempt to use the pp at sensitivity level 3 or above, it falses. I don't mean while attempting to find a target in a hole, I mean while holding at arms length in front of me, away from any metal. If I slowly wave the pp in front of me I get single, double, or even triple beeps at arms length. On one occasion, it continued to vibrate after the beeps stopped! I can still pinpoint objects accurately but this behavior can't be normal. If I use it at sensitivity level 1 or 2 it functions as I would expect it to with no falsing whatsoever.

I changed the battery, and did a factory reset, and changed locations twice to eliminate the possibility of EMI, and it still behaves this way. Its almost like there's a tiny piece of foil inside that its detecting. I will get ahold of CMD next week to see what my options are, and use my Deteknix for now.

I haven't got to use mine yet. I did notice it would false if sensitivity was maxed and wavedit in the air..
But I was indoors when l yested it.. when l lowered the sensitivity ot stopped. I'll know more when I get to use it during a hunt. I sure don't the falsing like the Garrett had

hmm I might wait a minute before I buy one. The reason I want a new one is that my profind 25 falses and drives me nuts.

Got a brand new ProFind35 from Colonial Metal Detectors at the beginning of the month and couldn't be happier with their service.

I finally got a chance to take the pinpointer out and I am very disappointed as I think I got a dud.

When I attempt to use the pp at sensitivity level 3 or above, it falses. I don't mean while attempting to find a target in a hole, I mean while holding at arms length in front of me, away from any metal. If I slowly wave the pp in front of me I get single, double, or even triple beeps at arms length. On one occasion, it continued to vibrate after the beeps stopped! I can still pinpoint objects accurately but this behavior can't be normal. If I use it at sensitivity level 1 or 2 it functions as I would expect it to with no falsing whatsoever.

I changed the battery, and did a factory reset, and changed locations twice to eliminate the possibility of EMI, and it still behaves this way. Its almost like there's a tiny piece of foil inside that its detecting. I will get ahold of CMD next week to see what my options are, and use my Deteknix for now.

Was your main detector turned on and in the area??

Was your main detector turned on and in the area??

This first time or two it was. On the next few holes I turned it off and the behavior continued.

I got to thinking about something...it was an overcast day and kinda windy so I was wondering if there was an excess of static electricity in the air that was causing it to false??? I know I wasn't anywhere near power lines as my detector was running stable. I will be doing some more testing in the next week.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would really like to figure this out.

This first time or two it was. On the next few holes I turned it off and the behavior continued.

I got to thinking about something...it was an overcast day and kinda windy so I was wondering if there was an excess of static electricity in the air that was causing it to false??? I know I wasn't anywhere near power lines as my detector was running stable. I will be doing some more testing in the next week.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would really like to figure this out.

The next question is "what jewelry were you wearing? If that was not it maybe put your cell phone (device) down and move away from it and see if you have a change.

Do you carry a smartphone, electronic car key fob, or other device?

How close was it to your PP?

Do you carry a smartphone, electronic car key fob, or other device?

How close was it to your PP?

The only jewelry I wear is a silver chain. No rings. My cellphone was off and in my back pocket. My truck key fob was in one of my front pockets at the time.

I called ML, they said it's definitely not normal behavior and are going to RMA it. We shall see. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Shout out to RichO @ CMD for great customer service and being so responsive, especially being so close to the holidays.

Minelab sending me a whole new pp. Should be here by Wednesday. Woohoo.

Back
Top Bottom