A Fantastic Week Digg'n A River And Lake!!!

John-Edmonton

Elite Member

Headed out early this morning. The ice melted on this lake a little over a week ago. It was cold........but the sun was out in full force. I lasted about 3 hours with my chest waders, then headed back home.

I did get a good variety of finds. And.....a little $$$ is always a welcome find. Got to save up for my annual gold coin.

Here's ring#4, and a vintage PONDS compact.

Some more vintage finds! A spinner similar to the one shown just sold for $50.00 on a bid, in worse shape then mine. Some poor fellow lost his ignition key to his Chrysler boat many years ago. Poor guy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I headed down to the river, and spent most of the digging concentrating on getting grass growing on floodplain. Flour gold apparently gets caught in the roots when the river is high. I put it to the test and the rumor is correct. I also sprayed a little diluted dish soap on the areas I was digging, as soap acts as a surfactant, breaking the surface tension of the water, preventing some of that lite gold from floating away.

I always watch my tailings and large rocks. I lucked out and dug up a nice size piece of petrified dinosaur bone. A nice addition to my rock collection!

Nice digs John.
It's hard to tell just how much gold you got there without a coind or something for reference.
That sounds like it could be fun though:yes:

Nice digs John.
It's hard to tell just how much gold you got there without a coind or something for reference.
That sounds like it could be fun though:yes:

I am guessing slightly less then 1/2 gram. It doesn't take very much flour gold to look like it is worth a bundle. But......it's a nice workout! Hopefully it will add some years to my life.

Metal detecting, gold prospecting, and fossil hunting...thats called living! Good job my neighbor to the north!

Really nice work all around John! Amazing what's out there just waiting for a hard working guy who pays attention to his surroundings to pick it up.

Congrats :aok:

The old grass roots trick eh? Nice work. I have washed some flour gold out of grass roots before, but gave up to go dig for pickers instead. Looks like you got enough there for a guy to think about working on the most efficient way to process a lot of grass roots. I like the soapy spray idea.

The old grass roots trick eh? Nice work. I have washed some flour gold out of grass roots before, but gave up to go dig for pickers instead. Looks like you got enough there for a guy to think about working on the most efficient way to process a lot of grass roots. I like the soapy spray idea.

There are no pickers here, so, when the river is high, I dig what I can get. I am going to either purchase a blue bowl or buy/build a miller table to help with the leftover concentrates. At about $1,200.00/ounce for gold, I should break even or be a little in the green this year to cover my equipment purchases.

Back
Top Bottom