Odd Closed Horse Shoe?

Diggum

Elite Member
I found this, deep under a park's lawn, located near a lot of Gold Rush era activity. Might this be a mule shoe? I've never seen a shoe that had the typically open end closed. Why would it be, if this is a horse/mule shoe?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180505_155315.jpg
    20180505_155315.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 876
  • 20180505_155322.jpg
    20180505_155322.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 717
It is called a Heart Bar Horeshoe, I believe. I found one several years ago. According to my research they were used to treat certain problems with hooves.

I looked that up, learned something new, and agree that that is a bar horseshoe! Thank you, Steve77!

It is a straight bar shoe, not a heart bar.
It is one of the most common therapeutic shoes that we use. (I've applied hundreds of them over the years)

That's just another handmade straight bar shoe. The extra material in the center between the heels is where it's forge welded, and the material there can be used to widen it across the heels if necessary.

A heart bar shoe has a much longer tongue that is shaped to coincide with the shape of the frog, as it is intended to support the boney column by applying a critically small amount of frog pressure, taking load weight off the hoof wall.

Heartbar.jpg

That's just another handmade straight bar shoe. The extra material in the center between the heels is where it's forge welded, and the material there can be used to widen it across the heels if necessary.

A heart bar shoe has a much longer tongue that is shaped to coincide with the shape of the frog, as it is intended to support the boney column by applying a critically small amount of frog pressure, taking load weight off the hoof wall.

Heartbar.jpg
Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom