My Yard Was a Confederate (1862-62) and Federal (1863-65) Campsite

3rdKyMtdInf

Since I began digging with my AT Pro in March, I have found:

70 minnie balls of various caliber with seven of them being from a .56 caliber Colt revolving rifle.

13 "Eagle" buttons (Infantry and General Service)

Various rivets, grommets, and uniform brass.

Camp lead surrounding two areas that were used for fires.

Eight horseshoes (four complete).

A large assortment of horseshoe and square nails of various sizes.

An "Opal" padlock.

A variety of buckles (iron and brass).

Several pounds of items made of brass and iron that I have yet to identify.

Today, I changed my settings from "pro coin" to "pro zero" and found two eagle buttons, a gold ring and silver ring, a rivet (still clamping leather), and an Indian Head that I cannot date. I think I will be enjoying my new hobby.

Oh My! Sounds like you're gonna be very busy in your own yard for quite a while. Keep us posted on your finds.

It seems that my photos are all too large to upload. Can you or anyone else recommend an app for that?

If you’ve got an iPhone, it’s easy to resize. I usually make mine a 2:3 ratio which makes them just right for this forum.

Awesome Yard!!!! Sounds like you're going to busy for awhile...Really do need some picks. If you use an IPhone and have a laptop or pc you can email them to yourself and resize them. Open them with "Paint" and you can crop/edit and then save. They will upload perfectly to the forum.

It seems that my photos are all too large to upload. Can you or anyone else recommend an app for that?

Using Windows 10 right click and edit them in picture viewer (I think that's the name of it). In that choose crop and rotate, then crop out the edges and save a copy. It brings my pictures from 3MB to a few hundred KB.

knife.jpg

Here are a couple of bullets that have been carved into game pieces, a pocket knife, and an eagle button ... all found a few feet from each other in March.

Wow.. Nice... kinda like living at Disneyland for a kid...Congrats on the finds and best of luck and HH

I have the .36 caliber bullets in individual displays, but here are the .54 through .69s. First photo are the .54s through .58s and the second photo are all .69s.

54 to 58.jpg

69s.jpg

camp lead.jpg

.56 cal Colt rifle revolver.jpg

The camp lead comes from two different parts of the yard where I suspect there were campfires. The close-up is of two .56 caliber bullets identified as from a Colt revolver rifle.

Back
Top Bottom