New Oldest Coin and a Capped Bust Bucketlister

jack&jill

Elite Member
Got a little break today from the rain and went to a permission I had secured a few days ago. This site is a pre Civil War dwelling with a very large yard. The Owner told me he would be cutting the grass on Friday but we had rain. This again occurred yesterday. So when I got there today he had stared mowing but had only three passes done behind the house and he was not there. So I heading to a school and hunted that for a hour and a half before returning. The owner was on the mower extending the area he already cut. Digging started slowly as I dug a couple of nails and other trash. Got a great deep signal only to dig a folded can top at about 8 inches. Went about a dozen feet and got a 12-39 that showed better than 10 inches on the CTX. Made my man hole cover of a plug and flipped it. Ran the pinpointer over the plug and in the hole and got nothing. Took another 3 or so inches of dirt out of the bottom of the hole and scanned the hole again, nothing. Put the pinpointer into the dirt pile and it went off. I picked up the little disc and viewed a coin I had never touched before. My first ever Bust Silver. A 1835 Dime. Glad the owner had earmuffs on as he mowed as I may have screamed a couple vulgar words of joy. A while later I got a very nice signal that I thought might be a Silver Quarter at about 6 inches. This was a 1833 Large Cent which is now my oldest coin. Could not read the date until I got it under a loop at home. These two coins we the only ones I dug at this site. I will be going back.

Also included are my finds since my previous report. Including the Bust Dime today I recovered 10 Silver Coins from 7 outings, (includes a skunk). This now has me at 330 FTY. Thanks for looking. On to the next. Trapper

Attachments

• 9-30-18 1 .jpg
    9-30-18 1 .jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 10-2-18 .jpg
    10-2-18 .jpg
    65 KB · Views: 397
  • 10-3-18 .jpg
    10-3-18 .jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 10-4-18 .jpg
    10-4-18 .jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 10-7-18 .jpg
    10-7-18 .jpg
    62 KB · Views: 359
  • 10-7-18 1 .jpg
    10-7-18 1 .jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 10-7-18 2 .jpg
    10-7-18 2 .jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 10-7-18 3 .jpg
    10-7-18 3 .jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 353
  • 10-1-18 .jpg
    10-1-18 .jpg
    116 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
The Wisco crew is just STOMPING on that silver Trap! Those 2 coins in ONE DAY?? Super jealous of the Bust,high on my list-o-!!!! to find! HUGE congrats on your oldest,that is indeed,well...OLD!:lol:
Fantastic way to make the opportunity into something,not everyone is going to “go there”. Fabulous stuff man,it’s tough as HELL to make that happen here.

What ? A bust and a large cent included in your wrap up?
Thank goodness I didn't show off my little dime trifecta from Saturday .
Just amaizing finds for Wisconsin Trap.
Very happy for you.
Wow!

The Wisco crew is just STOMPING on that silver Trap! Those 2 coins in ONE DAY?? Super jealous of the Bust,high on my list-o-!!!! to find! HUGE congrats on your oldest,that is indeed,well...OLD!:lol:
Fantastic way to make the opportunity into something,not everyone is going to “go there”. Fabulous stuff man,it’s tough as HELL to make that happen here.
You know I'm still shaking with the Bust Kevin. Just a big wow day. It has been better than 4 years since I dug a Large Cent. Wish I could get a clearer picture on the date. Will have to bring it with next time we get together.
What ? A bust and a large cent included in your wrap up?
Thank goodness I didn't show off my little dime trifecta from Saturday .
Just amaizing finds for Wisconsin Trap.
Very happy for you.
Wow!
Thank you Brad, Wow! I can hardly believe it yet. Would have liked spending a lot more time on this site. Looking forward to going back.
Very well done Trapper. Happy Hunting😎
Appreciate you reply Jon, thank you.
Wow! Great finds Trapper. That Bust is super cool!
Thank you Tom, the bust is truly a dream coin for me. First time I have ever handle one.i just know there is more on this property and I'm itching to get back to it. Even told the owner I'd help cut the grass. Trapper

Hey! That LC date looks like only a 1836 to me! That would make your 1835 Bust Dime your oldest coin, thats appropriate, old silver dime, worth a dollar melt.....and not that dirty old common totlot penny ya found!! :laughing: NSFT!

Wow! Oldest coin and a bust coin! Man that’s awesome Trapper! Big congrats!
Thanks Dewayne, I don't often get on ground this old. Just isn't a lot of opportunity here in the upper Midwest. I am looking forward to the return trip.
Holy cow, not one but two awesome coins. Your year is getting better every hunt. Congrats on another great week of finds.
Appreciate your response Jason. It's funny those two coins have kinda put the rest of the finds in a secondary class of recoveries. It has been a few years since I last dug a Large Cent. My previous oldest coin was a 1843 Seated Dime
Bust coin and large cent on a single hunt. Sick sick sick :sissyfight:
I agree Tom it is sick. Still I am not going to put them back. I think this is as close as I will ever get to a Spanish Silver or for that matter a Colonial Copper. I think about the only things I have dug that's older here in Wisconsin is the float Copper dropped by the glaciers.
Yowsers...what great finds!
Than you Dave. This has been a year for me for sure. I have been blessed indeed. Digging a Bust Silver has always been a bit of a after thought since getting into this hobby. Just never thought it would happen. Trapper

WHOLE LEE &#$@

NICE JOB TRAPPER!!!

Awesome saves, there base to be more there, was the LC as deep as the dime?

That is terrific. Great hunting! I found an 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime earlier this year and it is one of my most prized finds. Still looking for a Large Cent.

What a great find! Go you! Is that capped bust some sort of foreign coin or something? Canadian funny-munny or some such? ;)

One day... One day...

Dang man, I didn't think WI would even have coins that old:lol: Huge congrats!!
Thanks Toad, we don't have a lot of them but Matmit (Matt) and Gameoftag (Josh) I know have dug older coins than these. Wisconsin became a state in 1848 with a lot of settlements in the 1820's and 30's.
Hey! That LC date looks like only a 1836 to me! That would make your 1835 Bust Dime your oldest coin, thats appropriate, old silver dime, worth a dollar melt.....and not that dirty old common totlot penny ya found!! :laughing: NSFT!
Appreciate your reply John. The picture does not do a good job on the Large Cent but the last digit is a 3. The 3rd digit is the one I question as even under the jewelers loop its tough to see and kinda looks like a 2. I will play with it some more to see if I can get a better shot of the date.
Wow Jack what a haul! A capped bust coin is kind of a big deal man, not to mention the large cent.... Nice work!
Thank you Jeff. I know its a dream coin find for me. I have only dug a handful of Large Cents with 1848 being my oldest prior to this one.
WHOLE LEE &#$@
NICE JOB TRAPPER!!!
Awesome saves, there base to be more there, was the LC as deep as the dime?
Thank you Craig for your colored comments. Kinda like some of the words I exploded with after digging the Bust. No the Large Cent was only about 6 inches down and rang in at 12-45 solidly on the CTX. The bust was about 10 in depth but rang in at a 12-39. The depth and ware on the coin would explain that. Trapper

Dang Jack! Congrats on the Bust Dime and Largie. Both still on my bucket list. Hopefully I can finally get a largie on this months dig trip to Ohio with Coinwhisperer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom