Weekend Grand Slam makes 96FTY with some tough questions...

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Last weekend I went to an old race track from the 1800s which is now a city park. Sound familiar? One in every town it seems...but this one is tough. For the casual “swing till it sings” guy,he’ll be out of business after 4-5 hours of finding ZERO. There is a LUDICROUS amount of rotten nails in this place,I don’t even know how that happens to that degree.
Anyway,last weekend I happened upon an 1896-O Barber quarter and Merc. Then yesterday I went and the only silver I found was the 1890-O Seated dime. Today,I went again,and this is where it gets ugly for the CTX. Using the stock coil as I had in the previous 2 times,I hunted today for 4.5 hours with NO silver coins. At one point I put on the 17” coil as those are the only 2 I currently have and hunted some of the outer areas. Nada. With an hour and a half left before daylight was all but gone,I opted to trudge back to the car and get my Explorer2 with the Sunray X-8. Setting up at IM-0,Conductive sounds,fast ON...it picked 3 silver dimes out of an area that I had hunted for quite awhile with the CTX because it’s where the Seated came from. It did this before it was dark. What REALLY bothered me was...it did it without question as to whether there was a coin or not,I have some of it on film which I will edit and put up on YT.
The hard question is...WHY? One thing I have ALWAYS noticed about the CTX,even in Auto anything and lower levels of manual sensitivity....EMI in my areas KILL this machine. Like...useless. The 6” coil when I had it helped some,but compared to my other machines which include the EX2,IDXPro and Compadre,it SUCKS. Don’t worry,I’m familiar with every method of noise canceling there is,it’s not me. I was running basic settings that are known to everyone,nothing exotic or in left field. It simply did NOT report what I would have to consider pretty obvious signals. I find it hard to believe the notion that an 8” Sunray coil vs Minelabs heavy hitting CTX Pro Coil would have the X-8 just whipping the CTX...and BADLY. What I’m coming to the conclusion about is the fact that perhaps Combined is NOT the way to hunt sites that are that badly contaminated with nails and aluminum. On the next trip to this site,I will be running a Trashy Park type setup with it a bit more open and 50 tone. This is one example which I saw firsthand where Combined failed,and failed spectacularly...when compared to what would be considered by the majority to be an out dated dinosaur only worthy of fond remembrances. Instead of a wet and cold ride home I was warm inside,thinking about how good the CTX might be if run differently,and how good the Explorer really is. My eyes are STILL wide open after today’s happenings...

Attachments

• 6C65335E-001A-435D-958A-D62EFBA1D28C.jpg
    6C65335E-001A-435D-958A-D62EFBA1D28C.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 623
Awesome finds man! Looking forward to the video... crazy how the Explorer found 3 silvers the Ctx missed! I can maybe see 1 but 3???? Kinda weird...

Great hunt Kev!! I loved my Sunday X-8 and maybe the best coil i ever used. In tough nail conditions you can still run in combined but always manual tracking and pull back on sensitivity. Things you already know but 50 is always or probably the best bet though in them conditions. Now the game changer is running the Nox with a EMI filter (got one). Nox is way better in emi conditions, better then my CTX and better then my Deus. Calabasch even has a thread on it. The 3030 now for me is open areas (17). Still amazes me how that explorer still kills on silver!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some really fine digging Kevin. I think you found an answer to those trashy locations and to those with the EMI that put the CTX to bed. Looking forward to seeing the Video. Congrats on reaching 96 and digging the 4 different Silver Coins. Neat to dig a Seated, the Barber dime really looks nice although I had to turn the computer sideways to view them. :lol: Trapper

Great hunt Kev!! I loved my Sunday X-8 and maybe the best coil i ever used. In tough nail conditions you can still run in combined but always manual tracking and pull back on sensitivity. Things you already know but 50 is always or probably the best bet though in them conditions. Now the game changer is running the Nox with a EMI filter (got one). Nox is way better in emi conditions, better then my CTX and better then my Deus. Calabasch even has a thread on it. The 3030 now for me is open areas (17). Still amazes me how that explorer still kills on silver!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! Tell me about this a EMI filter some more. Are we talking ferrite bead or something more techy? I will back down Sens more and manual ground balance. I did NOT know that Auto tracking is no bueno! Love my CTX but it may still have its limitations. Agreed though...big open areas and 17” coil? KILLER!

Some really fine digging Kevin. I think you found an answer to those trashy locations and to those with the EMI that put the CTX to bed. Looking forward to seeing the Video. Congrats on reaching 95 and digging the 4 different Silver Coins. Neat to dig a Seated, the Barber quarter really looks nice although I had to turn the computer sideways to view them. :lol: Trapper

They’re all dimes Trap...:grin: Bring that Bust over and that will fix up the family portrait!(Roosevelt doesn’t have to be there):lol:

Awesome finds man! Looking forward to the video... crazy how the Explorer found 3 silvers the Ctx missed! I can maybe see 1 but 3???? Kinda weird...

Thanks Tom! I have since gotten some advice to follow with the CTX,we will see what happens next round. EMI could be a BIG factor with this. I have done SO well with the CTX in general that it could also be that there is a genuine machine fault,as in...it’s broken. I’ll have to report back when it’s hunted again.

Wow, don’t see many grand slams found. That’s hard to do. Congrats on the finds.

Thanks a lot Jason! I might have done it ONE other time in the span of a weekend but I can’t recall. Finding silver is hard enough,forget about finding families of them!:grin:

You sure are one tenacious Summagun! I was exhausted just reading your post! :laughing: Congrats on the Grand Slam! We have not seen many at all this season! just a few IIRC...

DAAAAYUUUUUMMMM!!!! I would have to go back a few seasons to remember my last grand slam, and interestingly enough, mine also included a Canadian silver. Great work my man!

Thanks Mike! Tell me about this a EMI filter some more. Are we talking ferrite bead or something more techy? I will back down Sens more and manual ground balance. I did NOT know that Auto tracking is no bueno! Love my CTX but it may still have its limitations. Agreed though...big open areas and 17” coil? KILLER!

I would like to hear more on the manual ground balance??? I don’t think I have ever done it on the Ctx. I want to say I have ground balance disabled. Something to play around with next time out for sure.

Have you tried running with seawater checked? I heard that this can help in high emi areas???

Very very nice Kev . Way to monster up . Sometimes a change is needed to find your Zen . Last last couple of times out with you I could not find mine . Strange how when you find it it's like a shooting gallery 😎
That explorer is deadly ! As is your CTX and the Nox but seemingly all excelling in different environments. Like my old Etrac . All proven killers but some days and locations can just come alive depending on what's in your hands it seems .
By observation anyway as I tend to keep an eye on you heavy hitters doing your thing . Amaizing how you or Trappers cadence can be different from hunt to hunt yet after a couple good targets get recovered everything changes and guys like you and Mike an Trap just lock in and settle down .

Amaizing finds buddy .
Here is my little trifecta from Saturday, Bert had a merc and a washington .
We went out in the rain and dark for an hour Sunday night and I managed another rosy but after viewing your amaizing finds I just think it hardly worthy🙂
Looking forward to the vidio.
, Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 401
Congrats looks like a great hunt, I can't help but think that the smaller coil in the trash had a fairly decent impact.

Big congrats on the seated too!

First off, congrats on the quads. Secondly, your write up along with Air Force Mikes told me how advanced you two are compared to most of us. Very thought provoking. You guys could conduct a seminar in our winter months when we are unable to detect. Might be standing room only.

Back
Top Bottom