Found my first Large Cent!

Waveoff

Elite Member
A large copper has eluded me since I started back into detecting heavily last year. This toasty girl was found in the front yard of my girlfriend's house along her driveway. Under certain lighting, I can only make out 185x something. I'll take it!:D

Oh, and for Tom, her house was built in 2006.:lol::lol:

In all fairness, the land her house sits on is pretty old. It was part of her grandparents' old farm.:)

1gDh3zS.jpg

FWC6IsC.jpg

BEnnyGJ.jpg

Sick. Just plain sick. Oh, and I love the deep green patina and ground kiss ! The photo shop and artificial toner colors make that look very convincing. :sissyfight:

Nice dig! Solid proof that it's all about the age of the ground, not the house that sits on it :yes:

Sick. Just plain sick. Oh, and I love the deep green patina and ground kiss ! The photo shop and artificial toner colors make that look very convincing. :sissyfight:

Thanks, Tom!

That’s crazy!!!!!! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

WTG! I'll bet there are more too.

Thanks! I sure hope so.:)

Nice dig! Solid proof that it's all about the age of the ground, not the house that sits on it :yes:

Thank you! So true!

congrats on your 1st copper :D

Thank you!

Congrats on your first LC !

I'd check historical records and see what activity was in that location years ago.
I would think since you found the LC - there could be more coins and relics in the same area ?

Good Hunting !

Congrats!! You never know where you'll find a nice oldie. Just because it's a newer house, doesn't mean there wasn't anything on that spot in the past.

Nice save and congratulations on your first large cent! Just a great coin to find,and old.

Thanks! All the good coins are on your side of Pittsburgh!:lol::lol:

Congrats on the big cent!

Thank you!

Congrats on finding one of my bucket listers !

Thank you! I hope you find one soon as well.

Congrats on your first LG!!! Awesome coin!!!

Thanks!

Congrats on your first LC !

I'd check historical records and see what activity was in that location years ago.
I would think since you found the LC - there could be more coins and relics in the same area ?

Good Hunting !

Congrats!! You never know where you'll find a nice oldie. Just because it's a newer house, doesn't mean there wasn't anything on that spot in the past.

Thanks guys! I previously researched the area extensively and there has been a lot of activity there. In the late 1700s to mid-1800s, it was mainly hemp farms. The land where her house sits was always part of the farm her grandparents purchased in the early 1900s. It was open field before her grandparents built a barn there and then added a pig pen. The barn was torn down in the 70s. The old farmhouse is below her house and was built in the late 1800s. She found a 1938 Walker down there. Her "neighborhood" came to exist around 1890 when they opened a large coal mine and the village sprang up. Some of the original coal mining village houses still exist. One of those houses next door sits on 3 acres and is my go to detecting spot. I've pulled out 3 Barber quarters, an Injun, tons of pre-20s wheats, a couple of Buff's, a war nickel, 20+ miner tags and lots of other neat mining relics. There's definitely more around there! There's also a large farm field there that's part of a 1790s farm. Just gotta wait for them to cut down the hay...

Outstanding ! Congrats on your first LC. First of many I hope. I was fortunate enough to find one when I first started detecting in 15 and that's one of the things that got me hooked on this hobby. HH Mark

Congrats on the Large Cent Fred, It has been a few years since I have dug one, Sounds like you have some old ground to play in and it will keep you busy for a good while. Trapper

Congrats on an amazing find! :woot: Welcome to the LC club (of which I hope to be a part of someday :lol:).

P.S. I use the same shovel that's in the first picture, I really like it as well. :good:

Outstanding ! Congrats on your first LC. First of many I hope. I was fortunate enough to find one when I first started detecting in 15 and that's one of the things that got me hooked on this hobby. HH Mark

Thanks, Mark! I hope you can find another soon!

Congrats on the Large Cent Fred, It has been a few years since I have dug one, Sounds like you have some old ground to play in and it will keep you busy for a good while. Trapper

Thank you, Trapper! Keep up the good work on your amazing silver year!

Dude that’s awesome!! Congrats on the largie!!!

Thank you!

Congrats on an amazing find! :woot: Welcome to the LC club (of which I hope to be a part of someday :lol:).

P.S. I use the same shovel that's in the first picture, I really like it as well. :good:

Thank you! Hopefully you find one as well someday soon! I have two of these shovels and they're not too bad for being less than $10 each. I've bent both of them digging and prying in rocky soil but I just put them in a vise and pull them straight.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom