Large hay fields?

HunterGA

Among the areas I can hunt here is a huge hay field that my friends family has owned since the 40s, it must be 100 acres. He doesn't know if there was ever an old homestead on it, but has several old barns. What's been people's experiences hunting land like this? This whole area has civil war history all over but nothing I can find in any books in that particular area.

Get the APP called tect o trac and map the field. It will track you while you hunt and you will have a good idea where you have covered. If it is your field, cover it all over a period of years. If there are old barns there, people have been there and not just next to the barns. I found 2 seated quarters far out in a hay field a few weeks ago. There are fields here I have covered half of last year and still have them in my app and can easily pick up where I left off. And yes, I do grid fields....1 way.

Great app, just bought and installed it, thanks. In terms of settings, would it be best to run sensitivity as high as possible (some areas are red dirt)? This field is so big I feel like a 4 wheeler mounted detector might be an advantage:)

Best part could be finding a civil war campsite or a place people gathered together back in the day . Good water is a key to where people would live and camp at . Good luck and keep us posted

Look at the lay of the land. Look for high spots in the field, even a little rise. That's generally where houses were built, if there was ever any there.

Do they plow/disc? If so, the best time to go out is just afterwards, and a light rain makes it even better. Look for glass, pottery, heck look for arrowheads while you're at it, but look for evidence of housewares.

I don't recall ever hunting a field that I didn't already know a house/church/school once stood there. One thing for sure, if you don't try, you'll never know.

Look at the lay of the land. Look for high spots in the field, even a little rise. That's generally where houses were built, if there was ever any there.

Do they plow/disc? If so, the best time to go out is just afterwards, and a light rain makes it even better. Look for glass, pottery, heck look for arrowheads while you're at it, but look for evidence of housewares.

I don't recall ever hunting a field that I didn't already know a house/church/school once stood there. One thing for sure, if you don't try, you'll never know.
Yep you're right about that

Old maps are vital to many of us. Beat Historical Aerials to death as well as consider looking at any old paper maps you can get a look at.

As mentioned, walking the field is also a great way to check the place out.

Let us know how you do!!

Found a website that shows arials of the field i. 1962 and it had 3 buildings on it ! Wish I could find older photos but this is promising.

Back
Top Bottom