• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Coil cover holes

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Ok surf gurus who like to modify stuff. I know I’ve seen a lot of post with people trying to seal their coils to keep to sand/minerals out. Well I’m thinking differently. The Nox coil is a pain to get off but you can’t keep the San outdo why not make it easier to get out? I’m thinking of drilling some holes thru the cover big enough to let water flow out with the sand and not have to take it off. Covers are $18 so pretty cheap and I don’t think it will affect the wear. What ya think?

Tried it on the df cover. Used it once and then tossed it. Unless you can manage to drill in every little spot the sand still pools and builds up along the walls

Steve you used yours in the water? It won’t get all of it out that I know but I think it will be better and not affect the coil

Just clean all well...scuff up the coil cover..inside, pick a spot where you won't hear any BS for making a mess...then fill coil cover with some 2 part epoxy, about 15 percent..then push the coil into it..let it dry a few days and your good. Tuff as nails...I can post a pic if you need.

Probably better to just break the back edge off the cover like i did to my Excal ll that was making noise. Almost all the sand pours out the back. May have to caulk in a couple places if the cover doesn't stay tight. My excal doesn't have that problem.

Steve you used yours in the water? It won’t get all of it out that I know but I think it will be better and not affect the coil

Yes, in the water. Nasty black mud sand. It would've have taken several hunts taking it off and drilling new holes where it was building up.. eventually it would have gotten to the point that it would have snapped taking it off.
I just put a "glue" directly onto the bottom of the coil in lines. Just enough to keep the coil off of the sand.

I use marine epoxy on the bottom of the cover...... as it wears i know its time to redue it. Tells me how im swinging my coil too by the wear.

Joe..... im not a fan of attaching it permanently. Coils are crazy priced now days covers arent.... you cant keep it from wearing even with epoxy so couple of years you replace it. Before i started using epoxy on the bottom i was going thru a cover every 5 months or less.

I did the back of the Xcal like that too...... thou not intentionally.:lol: And quite frankly it worked pretty good if you kept the rest of the cover epoxied and lifted it to clean it before you left the water.

The CZ-21 coil cover has to be the most difficult cover ever to remove :) After a few hunts in fine sand, that baby is locked in tight :) The Equinox is kinda strange with those recessed ribs on the coil underside, those are like little sound pouches on mine.

I usually pull the cover if I'm going to be a few days without hunting, if I don't clean it, I found the EQ will pour sand all over the wife's clean floor once the coil actually dries out. :roll::D

Coils are like brake pads on a car, they wear out after a while and need to be replaced.
You can repair thin spots with epoxy for a while though.

I'm thinking a different material for the coli covers. A bit softer and more pliable and it covers the whole coil (no holes or gaps in the coil) with an airplane wing shape so that glides thru the water much easier. Being more pliable its easy on and easy off making cleaning it out a cinch.

Do the same for the shaft as well making it more oval so the whole rig moves thru the water easier. I've seen a couple of guys make their own with the same ideas and they love it.

I can't believe someone hasn't been 3D printing these for dirt cheap. I said that about the Excal covers too @ $30 a pop. I just ordered my first replacement cover for the nox last night. Hunting in the rocks beats the hell out of my gear.

Back
Top Bottom