Weekend Grand Slam makes 96FTY with some tough questions...

Thanks much Outlaw! Have you been able to get out with others in your neck of the woods? Iā€™d LOVE to hunt northern Cali but Tom over there has a tax on peopleā€™s finds! I donā€™t know what heā€™s trying to buy but shoot,itā€™s like 30%! He must work for the government in some capacity...;)

No sir I usually go out by myself... tried to get in the mix with Tom, cal_cobra and the others but that's a no go.. there a pretty tight knit group... hahaha and 30% is way to much in my book... :lol:

Congrats on the great finds !

The Sunray X-8 is a great coil to say the least - separation, depth and decent ground coverage all in one.

I used my 6" Excelerator EQ 2 coil for over 1000 hrs. - till it shorted out.
This coil is even better in junk metal than the X-8 and I hit a lot of 7" to 8" Dimes with it !

Good Hunting !

Congrats on the great finds !

The Sunray X-8 is a great coil to say the least - separation, depth and decent ground coverage all in one.

I used my 6" Excelerator EQ 2 coil for over 1000 hrs. - till it shorted out.
This coil is even better in junk metal than the X-8 and I hit a lot of 7" to 8" Dimes with it !

Good Hunting !

Itā€™s funny you should say that ET,because when I got the EX2 it came with a 5ā€ Detech. That little coil was pretty abused by then,literally cracked and falling apart,but it still worked. Youā€™re right,for HEAVY trash itā€™s incredible! A person isnā€™t expecting that kind of depth from something like that,according to the usual ā€œwidth=depthā€ thinking. There are MANY great coils out there,the best one is the one YOU make the best finds with!
Thanks much,I hope we have an extended season! As you know, we deserve it after this summer!

Great finds Kevin! When I first got my CTX I started hunting with combined almost exclusively. Then one day I went out to a spot with a lot of iron and started comparing signals of combined vs high trash/50 tones on the same targets.. What I found was surprising to say the least! Nowadays I'm back to using High Trash and 50 tones.

Great finds Kevin! When I first got my CTX I started hunting with combined almost exclusively. Then one day I went out to a spot with a lot of iron and started comparing signals of combined vs high trash/50 tones on the same targets.. What I found was surprising to say the least! Nowadays I'm back to using High Trash and 50 tones.

Well you know what Iā€™ll be doing next! I would use Combined and High Trash with high disc before because of slightly higher CO numbers and really low FE numbers on big coins,I liked that. But I think being in Combined in this situation killed me,regardless of FE/Coin or HT. I canā€™t wait to test out a couple of things,and Iā€™d like to get another 6ā€ coil down the road.
Thanks for the assurance that Iā€™m thinking down the right path DeWayne! Always something to learn...good OR bad.

Congrats on the silver dimes, especially the Seated...you should run the Explorer thru all the places you've hit with the CTX and see what else it missed.:yes:

Congrats on the silver dimes, especially the Seated...you should run the Explorer thru all the places you've hit with the CTX and see what else it missed.:yes:

:lol: Iā€™m idling with my foot on the brake,deciding if I want to go down that road or not.:lol: Truthfully,Iā€™ve done really really well with both machines. I do think they can ā€œhunt behindā€ each other and for whatever reason find stuff the other didnā€™t,especially using different coils. On those coins that only hit from 10-15 degrees the angle of attack can certainly make you miss one,only to come back and find it later. I will say,I have much to learn about BOTH machines,and in reality I could spend the next decade learning. Nobody actually ever ā€œmastersā€ them,they just get super good with a lot of field time. Iā€™m sure in 5 years Iā€™ll laugh at what I thought I knew...
Thanks Bruce,I knew of all people you might appreciate the thread!:grin:

I am and have been wondering about the noise canceling. I have had days where the ctx seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and then days where it seems broken and i am finding nothing and switch to another machine and not do what you did, but start finding some wanted targets. There is something to what you reported and i do nothing different between those days and run the same programs. Only thing different i do is noise cancel. I have wondered if sometimes it picks a great channel and others not and i just do not know? Maybe sometimes for the emi , weather etc it gets it right ,, and other times it does not? Just a thought.

I am and have been wondering about the noise canceling. I have had days where the ctx seems to be the best thing since sliced bread and then days where it seems broken and i am finding nothing and switch to another machine and not do what you did, but start finding some wanted targets. There is something to what you reported and i do nothing different between those days and run the same programs. Only thing different i do is noise cancel. I have wondered if sometimes it picks a great channel and others not and i just do not know? Maybe sometimes for the emi , weather etc it gets it right ,, and other times it does not? Just a thought.

The important part TF...youā€™ve made the observation. It would make NO sense that the difference in perceived performance from day to day would be so drastic based merely on ā€œchanceā€. There has to be some factor at work. Personally,I like to run channel 6 when I can,as it appears to be the uncorrected or ā€œunshiftedā€ channel. If you reset your machine,check the NC channel,it will be on channel 6. At least mine is...and then it can shift up 5 or down 5. Iā€™ve obviously found targets on many channels,but it might make a huge difference in a specific site for another very ā€œlocation specificā€ reason. Until we are able to make some of these variables into constants,or at least change the variables to suit us best according to where we are,itā€™s all guessing. And I HATE guessing.
As time goes on,be sure to post back if you are able to pin any of this down...and thanks!

I also want to add a point of interest toward the end here so people can run this through their own mind. A friend of mine,a very prolific coin hunter and someone who has posted on this very thread HAS NEVER EVER NEVER changed ANY of his settings on his CTX. NOTHING. Another person who posted on this thread set up his machine,loaded up the program and itā€™s ALL he uses,EVER. He NEVER noise cancels and ALWAYS finds coins. And if this is the case,it would mean that his machine is ALWAYS on Noise Channel...6.
I donā€™t mention these people by name because I donā€™t want them to get inadvertently flooded with PMs asking questions. Just something to think about.

Next time you head back there and hit it with the explorer mark the diggable targets with big white plastic fender style washers. When your don't hunting grab the CTX and your shovel to find the true answer.

Just re read this, and a while I'm a tad bit slow lol. I'd think the separation would have more of an effect that the tones. The tones are reflecting a cursor placement and while I'm no guru, I wouldn't thought where the tone bins are set or in 50 co, wouldn't affect cursor reaction. Of course the HT FE COIN certainly would. I would tend to think you just didn't hit them right with the CTX, or just the fact the 8" coil got you that much better separation which made your processor more accurate.

Just not sure Kevin misses those coins with his ctx.

I also want to add a point of interest toward the end here so people can run this through their own mind. A friend of mine,a very prolific coin hunter and someone who has posted on this very thread HAS NEVER EVER NEVER changed ANY of his settings on his CTX. NOTHING. Another person who posted on this thread set up his machine,loaded up the program and itā€™s ALL he uses,EVER. He NEVER noise cancels and ALWAYS finds coins. And if this is the case,it would mean that his machine is ALWAYS on Noise Channel...6.
I donā€™t mention these people by name because I donā€™t want them to get inadvertently flooded with PMs asking questions. Just something to think about.

Thanks for that info,, i am going to try this myself and see if this eliminates days i do not find any targets. I am not talking silver only in my posts i mean i am not even finding modern pennies or much of anything on certain days. I have always made a point of noise cancelling before i start, i may have been shooting myself in the foot.

Next time you head back there and hit it with the explorer mark the diggable targets with big white plastic fender style washers. When your don't hunting grab the CTX and your shovel to find the true answer.

Just re read this, and a while I'm a tad bit slow lol. I'd think the separation would have more of an effect that the tones. The tones are reflecting a cursor placement and while I'm no guru, I wouldn't thought where the tone bins are set or in 50 co, wouldn't affect cursor reaction. Of course the HT FE COIN certainly would. I would tend to think you just didn't hit them right with the CTX, or just the fact the 8" coil got you that much better separation which made your processor more accurate.

Just not sure Kevin misses those coins with his ctx.

Good points Craig. I do have (4) 2ā€ target clays that are blaze orange to mark with but like you said, those washers would be the thing to use as theyā€™re way more durable. A large part of this was frustration with the weather and even THINKING that I was set up wrong. Letā€™s do some comparing Sunday.

Good points Craig. I do have (4) 2ā€ target clays that are blaze orange to mark with but like you said, those washers would be the thing to use as theyā€™re way more durable. A large part of this was frustration with the weather and even THINKING that I was set up wrong. Letā€™s do some comparing Sunday.

Sounds good I should have a pile of the washers, PM me a time

One of these people over rides the occasional noise cancel as it is sometimes needed but always manually overrides it to 9 tšŸ˜Ž

Back
Top Bottom