Highlights from the week...and first silver!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
That being a first silver from the 1895 home.

I spent all of my fishin time at the 1895 permission this week, and finished my 3rd grid on the front yard. Im pleasantly surprised that its still producing. No one lives there, so I can come and go as I please. The yard is LOADED with coins...mostly modern clad. If I didnt know any better, Id say that someone took handfuls of zincolns, and tossed them in the yard. Ive probably pulled over 200 coins from this place, unfortunately most have been pennies.

This property is also loaded with nails, screws, nuts, and bolts, and enough of each to start a hardware store. I have also found around 6 modern toy cars, mostly hot-wheel types, but there are also a couple of mini ones.

If I were to dig every signal there, the ground would look horrible since it doesnt cut a plug well, so I mostly concentrate on high and low tones. Ive cleared out a lot of stuff on my first two grids, but there are still many signals. I think a smaller coil would definitely be key here. Thought about taking my 705 over there with the 5X10 coil to see how it fares.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

The buff (19??), IH, wheat, and square nails were DEEP. Id say a good 7 to 9" down. The 1943S war nickle was about 4", and the rest were surface to 3" down. Interesting is the the half was found on my 2nd grid. How I missed it on my first is beyond me.

The entire yard is probably a little larger than a 1/8 acre, and took me almost 4 hours just to do a 3rd grid on the front alone. Park 2 is a good setting, and I take my time. It has sniffed out the goodies, but has also led me on a few wild goose chases too. Overall its been a good lesson on knowing the machine better. I need to read other folks techniques so I can tweak the 800 into a coin and relic killer.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Hey nice digs. I use a 705 only. The 5x10" coil is 18.75 kHz and is not the best choice on coins. Its generally a gold hunting coil. It can detect small pieces but also hits on tiny pieces of iron pretty hard. Coins VDI bounce around more than the other Xterra coils. Best coin killer is the 3 kHz Digger coil. 6" but deep as a 10" coil. Super VDI and separation is "Jam Up". If you can find one reasonable You might want to try one. Hit great on coins laying right next to iron!

Congrats Tommy on the War Nickel, the Buffalo, the Indian and all the rest. That site just keeps on giving. Trapper

Thanks Trapper

Congrats on the many finds! It looks like you got a full time job hunting just at this place.

Thanks, its a good retirement job!

Those some very nice keepers there!

Congrats and keep at it.

Thank you

Nice digs!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you

Hey nice digs. I use a 705 only. The 5x10" coil is 18.75 kHz and is not the best choice on coins. Its generally a gold hunting coil. It can detect small pieces but also hits on tiny pieces of iron pretty hard. Coins VDI bounce around more than the other Xterra coils. Best coin killer is the 3 kHz Digger coil. 6" but deep as a 10" coil. Super VDI and separation is "Jam Up". If you can find one reasonable You might want to try one. Hit great on coins laying right next to iron!

Thank you. I still love my 705, but Im using my NOX 800 almost exclusively now. Ive used the 5X10 coil before in junky areas, and it did a fairly good job of separating signals. But its the only small coil I have. At this point, Ill probably spend the cash on a smaller nox coil, than getting the digger coil. Ive heard great things about it, and almost bought one. Im still leaning to the 705 on the last grid I make. It wont hurt, but that 11" nox coil makes it difficult to pinpoint in this yard. Ill see how it goes.....and I can always go back later with the smaller nox coil.

Thanks Trapper

That's great, stick to what works or what you enjoy. I only have owned a Bounty Hunter to try the hobby. I upgraded soon as I was fully" hooked". Only own the 705 for now. I'm going to look at that Equinnox 800. Maybe a future MD? Gl. Have big fun.

Thanks, its a good retirement job!

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you. I still love my 705, but Im using my NOX 800 almost exclusively now. Ive used the 5X10 coil before in junky areas, and it did a fairly good job of separating signals. But its the only small coil I have. At this point, Ill probably spend the cash on a smaller nox coil, than getting the digger coil. Ive heard great things about it, and almost bought one. Im still leaning to the 705 on the last grid I make. It wont hurt, but that 11" nox coil makes it difficult to pinpoint in this yard. Ill see how it goes.....and I can always go back later with the smaller nox coil.

That's great, stick to what works or what you enjoy. I only have owned a Bounty Hunter to try the hobby. I upgraded soon as I was fully" hooked". Only own the 705 for now. I'm going to look at that Equinnox 800. Maybe a future MD? Gl. Have big fun.

Back
Top Bottom