A secret tip that can help you find more silver coins!

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
If you are like me then you love finding old and silver coins. For me personally, coin shooting, especially silver coins is what 'does it' for me.

I can find gold, or rings and yes I am happy that day to find jewelry, but the real magic happens for me when I turn the plug over and a silver coin is laying there! My adrenaline levels shoot way up, and for just a few minutes I can imagine that's how it feels to win the superbowl! :lol:

So what's this secret tip Nectar, we came here for that...

Oh, almost forgot about that part....

Okay, here's the scoop... most towns have a metal detecting club, or a dealer shop that hold annual seeded metal detecting hunts, some even multiple hunts per year.

Their club websites usually have pictures of past events, and most even have a blog where they announce, and recap locations of their hunts.

That is where YOU come in... you can study their websites, images of past events, etc and figure out where PAST hunts were in an effort to put yourself on locations where there is a possibility of finding stray coins that were seeded and missed.

No guarantees they missed a coin, BUT, only way to find out is to put yourself in a position to find out, first hand.

Now, get to werk...

Oh that's sneaky… I love it! Great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sadly, my small town is every man for himself. I have seen a couple and and talked to one for a minute. The one I talked to wasn't very open or warm and left as soon as I started walking toward a creek that runs in a park.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Sadly, my small town is every man for himself. I have seen a couple and and talked to one for a minute. The one I talked to wasn't very open or warm and left as soon as I started walking toward a creek that runs in a park.

Bud, did you read my post? You don't have to talk to anyone at all... :)

I did[emoji6] My point was: there are no hunts like that.

Unsure if there is a language barrier or not... but seems you missed the point...

You can go detect at locations where detecting clubs held hunts in the past... in an attempt to find coins they missed. Those spots do exist :)

Sneaky trick, Nectar, I like it!

Hey MG, sometimes you gotta travel a little to get some goodies. Maybe even out of small towns, especially small towns to where actual people used to be/gather.

Okay, here's the scoop... most towns have a metal detecting club, or a dealer shop that hold annual seeded metal detecting hunts, some even multiple hunts per year.

Their club websites usually have pictures of past events, and most even have a blog where they announce, and recap locations of their hunts.

That is where YOU come in... you can study their websites, images of past events, etc and figure out where PAST hunts were in an effort to put yourself on locations where there is a possibility of finding stray coins that were seeded and missed.

I'm not sure about all this :?: I'm sure after a hunt, people were on those spots like vultures on roadkill :lol:

OP, you're in Kansas, there are "627 incorporated municipalities consisting of cities" in Kansas, according to wiki.

Kellyco's site shows 7 MD Clubs in the entire State:
https://www.kellycodetectors.com/clubs/kansas.htm

I wouldn't have a clue as to how many Dealers are in the State, but I can promise there's nowhere near 600+ in the State.

Here's a site with a list of some upcoming hunts:
http://detectingdiva.com/hunts-events/

Seems Kansas didn't even make the list. Here, find me a list of the past 20 years of seeded hunts in Memphis.

What are you basing your info on? Share the sites one could find all this info, I'm sure it would assist many here taking full advantage of your suggestion. Heck, I've looked, not much luck.

I believe that was the point Mg240 was getting at.

So in other words go dig the seeds. Lol

Well, in my neck of the woods, good luck!!

Here's my little trade secret.
Get out and just hunt.
And don't overlook the obvious.

I see a pattern in my neck of the woods.
The more exposed sites seems I can find more goodies.
The ones way back off the beaten path not so much.

One last other tip here.
Remember those punch boards.
Person can get some old coins there too if you are lucky.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-punch-board-with-old-silver-coin-prizes-/151809160408

I'm not sure about all this :?: I'm sure after a hunt, people were on those spots like vultures on roadkill :lol:

OP, you're in Kansas, there are "627 incorporated municipalities consisting of cities" in Kansas, according to wiki.

Kellyco's site shows 7 MD Clubs in the entire State:
https://www.kellycodetectors.com/clubs/kansas.htm

I wouldn't have a clue as to how many Dealers are in the State, but I can promise there's nowhere near 600+ in the State.

Here's a site with a list of some upcoming hunts:
http://detectingdiva.com/hunts-events/

Seems Kansas didn't even make the list. Here, find me a list of the past 20 years of seeded hunts in Memphis.

What are you basing your info on? Share the sites one could find all this info, I'm sure it would assist many here taking full advantage of your suggestion. Heck, I've looked, not much luck.

I believe that was the point Mg240 was getting at.

Well if you want me to do the research for you on where they held their hunts I should have just kept the tip to myself!

I give people a LEAD on where to go and all I get is flak for leading you guys to potential places you can find silver? Instead of a thanks, you argue my tip...

Now I remember why I dont bother anymore...sheesh...

That's a good idea Nectar,and no...I don't need you to tell me exactly where to go. It's kinda like a guy I used to work with (thank GOD I don't anymore,I would've killed him by now)...this old couple who were customers came into the shop every Xmas to give us gifts in appreciation of us taking good care of their cars. The last Xmas I was there they had some local craft beer and handed it to this bumbling fool, and said "Hey thanks for all you do!" This idiot co-worker of mine says "no thanks, I don't like that kind of beer". :lol: Im not bagging anyone here, trust me. It's just kind of a courtesy to at least say something like "Hey,that's a good idea if there were hunts in your area". That's all. Guys who are constantly thinking of how to improve their odds are ALWAYS the ones who do well in the end, because they are THAT into the hobby and are willing to hang it out there, whether it pays off or not.
I and I'm sure many others appreciate your input on this and other subjects...

Well if you want me to do the research for you on where they held their hunts I should have just kept the tip to myself!

I give people a LEAD on where to go and all I get is flak for leading you guys to potential places you can find silver? Instead of a thanks, you argue my tip...

LOL, I ask a simple question regarding your blanket statement, and that's your reply? When did everyone around here get so thin-skinned? Generally when someone makes a similar claim, they have something to back it up, that was all I'd asked for. That's OK, never mind, you just answered it.

:laughing:

Your still my hero Nectar Detector :laughing:

No guarantees they missed a coin, BUT, only way to find out is to put yourself in a position to find out, first hand.

Great idea, Nectar - I'm like you, silver coins are the holy grail, jewelry is nice, but I'd rather find a silver Roosevelt than a silver ring.

I like the tip, regardless. There is potential there!

I've noticed in old home sites that if the family was poor, there's probably not much to be had.

If it was a 2 story (family had money) then there's a higher potential there for lost coinage.

Or you can learn the date, time and location of their hunts and hide in the bushes until they plant the goodies and then rush out and snag them before they start the hunt.

Just be sure to bring lots of bandages and make sure your insurance is paid up because if caught being beaten by a pack of pissed off detectorists can be pretty painful.

While I have never found any silver coins from planted hunts, i constantly find dimes with stars on them. I have found them in several different parks but I still haven't found out who put them there. I was on the trail of the dimes with stars when I found a Mercury that they hadn't planted. When I was president of our metal detecting club I planted some Barber dimes for our hunt. I know that they weren't all found but the city built a school on the spot. The man who donated the land stated that it would always be used for a park but the city decided that he was dead so it didn't matter and they went against everyone's wishes. During our hunt a member said that he found the seated dime that I had planted. I hadn't planted any.

Back
Top Bottom