Newbie looking for hunting partner in Los Angeles parks...

Happa54

Forum Supporter
I was raised in Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley and know it's history quite well.

There are a few old parks in Los Angeles that were established in the late 1800's. Many hunters go to the trashy safe zones and dig up plenty of silver.
But, I have done research and have my eyes on some areas that can be very productive but there are shady characters in the more isolated areas. I don't like going to these areas alone because I find myself looking over my shoulder too often. So, if you are not bothered by the bad elements, then we can hook up or meet or initially discuss the outing.

I am new to MD and currently own a Minelab Safari.

And such is the dilemma for us west coast hunters: Invariably the oldest parts of our cities are in the "blighted" parts of the towns. Thus the parks will be more junky (foil, screw caps, etc....).

Contrast to the east coast (since the migration was from east to west all during the 1850s to WWII) and there are super old parks that ...... TO THIS DAY are in the upscale high rent areas (hence less junky).

And as you can well imagine, depth becomes a non-issue in such challenging spots. It's MASKING that becomes the issue, as no one wants to "be a hero" and strip-mine turf. Humorously, I even heard of a few guys, at a "certain city" here in CA, who got tired of trying to either strip-mine or cherry pick at a certain park . The park had given up seateds and choice barbers, and the park was "high rent" area of the city in the 1860s/70s. So they reasoned that there MUST be more goodies beneath the layers of wino caps and hypodermic needles.

So they went there on a holiday weekend, crack of dawn (when no one's up and city staff is totally idled) and did the following: They "rolled back" the turf, so to speak, in sample sections. Taking flat shovels, cutting out kitchen table size sections, and flip it over. After 3 or 4 such sections, they had effectively gotten down to 6" deep. Then stop, detect, etc... They were rewarded with more choice silver that way. Then re-install the turf, stomp it back in place, .... presto .... you couldn't even tell they were there :)

Disclaimer: Not that I would ever approve of such methods. I chastised and scolded them , but .... they wouldn't listen :lol:

I will go with you...I am in south orange county

My name is Joe and my cell is 949-735-7736. Glad to have someone to tag along with. I have a Garrett AT/PRO 400 and I have all the tools to do what you're asking.

Call me. please

Looking for A Partner

My name is Henry I just join today. I live in Rosemead . I have been detecting for about 5yrs . I have a Garrett AT Max, At Pro and Fisher Gold bug. Need to find someone who is interested in detecting in the San Gabriel Valley area and beyond, If interested drop me a reply. Thank you.:grin:

Hey there, I wouldn’t mind hitting up some of those parks also. Definitely more safe when you got a couple of buddies. I’m also a new metal detecting and could use a few pointers haha. I got a Spectra v3i and I’ve been getting pretty good results with it so far. Drop my a reply if you’re still interested in a buddy.

Looking for A Partner

I also looking for metal detecting buddy. I live also in the San Gabriel valley. I live in Rosemead. If you want to call my name is Henry phone is 626-286-6001.Happy Hunting:cool:

Back
Top Bottom